Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If I was GM: I would never trade Portis

Drunken Master III

but... one of my football associates suggested that the best option for us would to trade Portis for a top 10 pick or possibly two first round picks. The reason he thought that this move is so great because we could then draft Adrian Peterson. I wouldn't pull that trade because I know that Portis is a true Redskin and he is the heart and soul of our offense. Thoughts?

-don't know if it matters but he is a Cowgirl fan... lol

but... one of my football associates suggested that the best option for us would to trade Portis for a top 10 pick or possibly two first round picks. The reason he thought that this move is so great because we could then draft Adrian Peterson. I wouldn't pull that trade because I know that Portis is a true Redskin and he is the heart and soul of our offense. Thoughts?

I agree we should never get rid of him. The only way is if we got 2 first round picks plus having the one we currently have. No one would give up that much for Portis, I mean we would. But no lets not give up our franchise player.

The only reason you would trade Portis, is if you think he's on the decline. He's young, but also has alot of milage on him already...

or

... if you can pull off a Herschel Walker type deal that would set the franchise up for years to come. I doubt there would be a deal like that on the table for a running back with the way the league is today. Teams just don't value runningbacks like that.

Adrian Peterson is going to be a beast. IMO he has alot in common with Larry Johnson.

I don't think either scenario is likely. Portis is going to be a Redskin for a while.

To be honest, I don't think you'd get that much for Portis. He's damaged goods right now. And I think teams would be worried the pounding he's taken over the years is taking a toll. He's finsihed every season beat up. That and there's a nice crop of college RBs coming out the next couple years.

The only player on the Skins roster that would bring a 1st rd pick is Taylor and maybe Moss.

wouldnt tade portis at all , not even for peterson , that guy has been injured throughout his college career , when he got here it would only get worse hes a great back but no thanx , keep what we have and draft defense , trade our 1st rounder for more picks we need more draft picks and we have to draft smart players on defense and sign some blue collar FAs thats all

I'm kinda glad Portis gets the rest of the season off...we really rode him hard last year and this year..he needs the rest....and with Brunell having no deep ball, defenses were really keying on Portis....I think Portis will come back well rested and refreshed and have a great year next year...especially with Campbell at QB..

The Colts wanted to trade Edge and couldn't get a first rounder.... why on earth would a team give the Redskins a 1st rounder for Portis.

This team needs to determine what offense (running scheme) Portis is most comfortable in and use it along with Saunders passing game. Additionally, we need an OL coach who understands what Portis wants and will teach blocking assignments accordingly.

I love Portis to death but I still am not sure how compatible he is with our offensive system...assuming of course that we do in fact have a coherent system to begin with which is a big assumption. Its hard enough to install a new regimine of play calls, but when you also throw into that that you have to have compatible players it makes things 10x harder. We've seen flashes of Duckett but what good is he if Saunders doesn't consider him to be his style of back? Same question for Portis exists with respect to the Gibbs philosophy. And that doesn't even begin to address our out-of-place O-linemen.

There seems to me to be a lot of identity problems that will require some serious thought to fix and based on the actions of past offseasons its unfortunately hard to be too optimistic. :2cents:

watch.......when Campbell establishes the deep game with the deep ball...you will see Portis put up monster numbers and long TD runs....

I agree with that assessment. Of course, there is one other component to both JC and CP putting up monster numbers, that's our offensive line. I keep hoping that the changes on offense have contributed to some of the problems, or it's injuries that haven't been made public. Unfortunately, I just think Jansen is regressing. This is the one part of the team that has been together for a few years, yet, I think now they need changes. I'm still not sold on Samuels as a big time LT, he's a starter in this league, but this team needs dominant lineman. I want JC to have days to throw, and if Portis gets hurt again, it doesn't matter who we put in because the line will compensate.

Betts is a third down back. The obvious thing to do is resign Duckett so we have a legitimate power back and keep portis but let Betts walk.

Then unless there is a cant miss defensive lineman we can snag, trade down gathering as many picks as you can and draft lineman

I love Portis to death but I still am not sure how compatible he is with our offensive system...assuming of course that we do in fact have a coherent system to begin with which is a big assumption. Its hard enough to install a new regimine of play calls, but when you also throw into that that you have to have compatible players it makes things 10x harder. We've seen flashes of Duckett but what good is he if Saunders doesn't consider him to be his style of back? Same question for Portis exists with respect to the Gibbs philosophy. And that doesn't even begin to address our out-of-place O-linemen.

There seems to me to be a lot of identity problems that will require some serious thought to fix and based on the actions of past offseasons its unfortunately hard to be too optimistic. :2cents:

what makes u think he will be comfortable with browns and lions offense?

only offense portis would fit is seattle,san diego, KC, and giants...........

Portis might be the odd man out next year. He's been hurt two years in a row and it's possible that his running style does not match that of the offensive scheme. For one, I wouldn't be surprized in the least if he's gone next year.(Not that I would like to see him anywhere but in D.C.).

Portis might be the odd man out next year. He's been hurt two years in a row and it's possible that his running style does not match that of the offensive scheme. For one, I wouldn't be surprized in the least if he's gone next year.(Not that I would like to see him anywhere but in D.C.).

i dont see why we get rid of him?

who we gonna replace?

betts"i catch better then i run"

or tj"i have more fumbles then TD's"duckett?

Archived