Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My take on why the team is lost

Thirtyfive2seven

While I understand what he is saying and your post was very good is it me or didn't CP have success in a zone blocking scheme in Denver? He averaged over 1500 yards and over 10 TDs in his tenure there. Having said that I dont think we have the personell (Oline) to run a finesse scheme and that is what I think CP is getting at. The quote is really telling about the kind of person CP is, we all know if we could run the finesse scheme CP would be happier but he realizes that such a scheme is no good for our offense right now and is more then willing to be the power back we need to be successful..

Very true, only Portis isnt the back to run that style of offense and stay healthy. Actually, most backs that run that style wear down. That's why it worked better once we started introducing a 2nd and 3rd back into that scheme. It took Gibbs way to long to make these adjustments but them again, Gibbs has always been that way. Even his first time around. But them remember, the first time around there was not CAP and he had a GM to help fill the holes.

Back to what I was saying...a lot last year's playoff win has done for the skins this year. Just feeding on that momentum into this years draft. Ive told this so many times to a friend of mine that is a Skins fan, if Snyder made me GM of the Skins I would have them deep into the playoffs within 2 years. I know this seems strange to many being that I am a Cowboys fan, but I would honestly do it. I know Skins fans would never do some of these moves but here they are:

1) Trade Portis for a #1 pick and put TJ Duckett as the starter. TJ would just pound defenses into the ground every game. Get rid of this Chiefs offense with all these sweeps and other bs and just pound the ball N to S.

2) Release Brandon Lloyd or try to trade him. Skins need a big body, tall receiver that can show up for them in the redzone. All these little quick guys spread the field great but what happens when your inside the 20 and there is no more room to spread the field?

3) Stop trading away draft picks! You build teams through the draft. Start going after some young linebackers and D-linemen.

4) I know everyone is going to hate to part with some of these offensive lineman but its time. Samuels could stay but its time for Jon to hit the road. Bring in a young player through free agency or this years first rounder with a guy like Jake Long out of Michigan. And everyone feels good about Derrick Dockery in there? Time to shore up that left guard position with someone better.

5) Skins must take care of the CB position. Shawn is getting old. Carlos makes plays but then gets burned just as many times if not more.

There are about 10 other things that I would do but not going to let those secrets out because nobody would ever think of them. But Dan if you want the knowledge, have your people call my people.

Back to what I was saying...a lot last year's playoff win has done for the skins this year. Just feeding on that momentum into this years draft. Ive told this so many times to a friend of mine that is a Skins fan, if Snyder made me GM of the Skins I would have them deep into the playoffs within 2 years. I know this seems strange to many being that I am a Cowboys fan, but I would honestly do it. I know Skins fans would never do some of these moves but here they are:

1) Trade Portis for a #1 pick and put TJ Duckett as the starter. TJ would just pound defenses into the ground every game. Get rid of this Chiefs offense with all these sweeps and other bs and just pound the ball N to S.

2) Release Brandon Lloyd or try to trade him. Skins need a big body, tall receiver that can show up for them in the redzone. All these little quick guys spread the field great but what happens when your inside the 20 and there is no more room to spread the field?

3) Stop trading away draft picks! You build teams through the draft. Start going after some young linebackers and D-linemen.

4) I know everyone is going to hate to part with some of these offensive lineman but its time. Samuels could stay but its time for Jon to hit the road. Bring in a young player through free agency or this years first rounder with a guy like Jake Long out of Michigan. And everyone feels good about Derrick Dockery in there? Time to shore up that left guard position with someone better.

5) Skins must take care of the CB position. Shawn is getting old. Carlos makes plays but then gets burned just as many times if not more.

There are a couple other things that I would do but not going to let those secrets out because nobody would ever think of them. But Dan if you want the knowledge, have your people call my people.

I see some of your points, but trade Portis? That's gibberish. I agree with throwing away the sweeps and running up the gut, but Portis is a top-5 back in the league, and he can pound defenses even better than Duckett if the plays are called properly.

I agree with the offensive line assessment. It's time for change.

The CB situation (and now SS situation) is imperative, and trading away draft picks is stupid and I hope to god we have learned our lesson about this.

Portis is a great back but in the 4 years or so he has been in Washington he has only put up 1 good year. Clinton cant pound the ball better because he wouldnt survive the season. He is starting to show that wear even without pounding it up the middle every play and you think he would survive when he did pound it every play? He just doesnt fit the system and the type of power O-line that the Skins have. Clinton was brought here for that homerun play and I only remember seeing that big 60+ dash one time and I think that was the first game he played with the Skins against the Bucs at home. Where is that homerun threat. Thats why he was brought here. TJ is bigger than a lot of linebackers and to have a guy like that just pounding away all game would rip apart defenses. Then you set up the pass through that. That O-line is geared to push people around, not sweep outside. When Tiki leaves next year I think the Giants will be fine because they have that big back in Brandon who is just going to punish defenses. And when you punish and push around defenses you hold onto the ball longer and longer. You start controlling that clock, you keep the defense off the field and keep them fresh. I know Dan wants to win bad but you cant just sign a big check and think everything will be fine.

The irony is that we now have a GREAT smash-mout running back in TJ Duckett, but where is he? On the bench, usually.

Weird!

and thats what im saying. you guys give up a 3rd pick for a bench warmer. and now the opportunity is there to start the guy and they put ladell in. this is the problem, you cant just give away draft picks like this. the one thing ive learned since Bill has been the coach of the Cowboys is that you get the future through the draft and some of your best players late on the first day of the draft and on the second day. wasnt TJ insurance for Clinton if he got hurt??? Well Clinton is hurt so where is TJ?

This team is lost because we lack a leader. There is no leadership what so ever on this team. This team is filled with followers and not enough leaders. Every team must have a leader, unfortunately Brunell has been taken out however I dont think he was much of a leader. Maybe to the offense. But you need a team leader other than the coach. Coaches coach, players play, and leaders lead. This team is lost, because we have no Leader!!!

Brandon Lloyd said it perfectly on Monday night with Bram. He said after losses the team sits in the locker room after each game and look at each other. No one is speaking, its completely quiet. Do you really think Ray Lewis is quiet after losses? Tom Brady? Brian Urlacher? I think Jason will become a leader and hopefully he will be a complete leader of the team.

while all this may have some varying degrees of truth to it - the way I see it - the only thing that has dramatically changed has been the other side of the ball: the defense.

the offense has always been inconsistent at best. 2005 they had a stretch "run" that was good. they had many games where they were no good.

the only constant since 2004 had been the defense. THAT"s the biggest issue I see

This team is lost because we lack a leader. There is no leadership what so ever on this team. This team is filled with followers and not enough leaders. Every team must have a leader, unfortunately Brunell has been taken out however I dont think he was much of a leader. Maybe to the offense. But you need a team leader other than the coach. Coaches coach, players play, and leaders lead. This team is lost, because we have no Leader!!!

Brandon Lloyd said it perfectly on Monday night with Bram. He said after losses the team sits in the locker room after each game and look at each other. No one is speaking, its completely quiet. Do you really think Ray Lewis is quiet after losses? Tom Brady? Brian Urlacher? I think Jason will become a leader and hopefully he will be a complete leader of the team.

Marcus Washington is not a leader?? Four guys on that line are long time vets in the league and they arent leading?? You dont have leaders stepping up when your losing games, bottom line. They dont just lack a leader. So at the beginning of the season you dont think there were like 15 guys stepping up to be a leader when the season looked promising??

while all this may have some varying degrees of truth to it - the way I see it - the only thing that has dramatically changed has been the other side of the ball: the defense.

the offense has always been inconsistent at best. 2005 they had a stretch "run" that was good. they had many games where they were no good.

the only constant since 2004 had been the defense. THAT"s the biggest issue I see

and i told my Skin fan buddy during the preseason, i wouldnt even worry about the Skins offense not doing anything right now, you need to worry about your defense. They got to confident in Williams' system and have let go key guys like Pierce, even Lavar and Fred Smoot. You cant let the chemistry just fall apart every season like that. You have to commit to guys who are providing for your team. You then cant replace them with guys like AA and Carter who have all been one year wonders and expect the chemistry to just gel immediately. Now your stuck with these guys who have huge contracts and signing bonuses. The system will only take you so far.

Im challenging Dan Snyder right now. If he wants to bring the glory days back. That feeling in the DC area that there is just this emotion but you cant really explain it, because the Skins are doing that great. You all know what im talking about. The air is fresher, and there is just joy in everyones life and no matter what happens the Skins rock so it doesnt matter. Even as a Cowboy fan living in the DC area, even with all the hate I have for the Skins, that feeling kind of infects me as well. I love DC and she is a beautiful place, but its even better when the Skins are good, as hard as that is to say it. If he wants that again, and I know all Skins fans want that again, then come talk to me.

Im challenging Dan Snyder right now. If he wants to bring the glory days back. That feeling in the DC area that there is just this emotion but you cant really explain it, because the Skins are doing that great. You all know what im talking about. The air is fresher, and there is just joy in everyones life and no matter what happens the Skins rock so it doesnt matter. Even as a Cowboy fan living in the DC area, even with all the hate I have for the Skins, that feeling kind of infects me as well. I love DC and she is a beautiful place, but its even better when the Skins are good, as hard as that is to say it. If he wants that again, and I know all Skins fans want that again, then come talk to me.

Snyder needs to sell the team.

Snyder markets the team like no other. Just needs someone to take over football operations and just kick back and watch his team flourish. And till he turns the keys over to me, that wont happen.
Dude I love your enthusiasm, but take a minute and think about this. Your a Dallas fan on a redskins site telling us that if Snyder hired you, you could turn around the skins. So as much as you hate the redskins and dallas rocks you want to hlep our team become good??? I mean thats great and all but come on man admit you love the skins man... ;)

Dude I love your enthusiasm, but take a minute and think about this. Your a Dallas fan on a redskins site telling us that if Snyder hired you, you could turn around the skins. So as much as you hate the redskins and dallas rocks you want to hlep our team become good??? I mean thats great and all but come on man admit you love the skins man... ;)

hahaha...i honestly hate the Skins...but I love football more than anything. There is nothing more in this world I love more than football. I just want to get my hands on something in the NFL and if that means the Skins then so be it. I love seeing people happy and I remember the days, though vaguely, when the whole DC area had that extra bounce in their step. A time when the Skins actually represented something special. And with Dan willing to spend money and do what it takes to build a winning team it would work. Dan just goes about it the wrong way.

Personally i think last years offense was fine,and just a few things short of a Superbowl. A good QB and another weapon at WR and that is it. We should never tried to "fix" a system that wasnt broken all we needed to do was fix a couple of parts of that system. Gibbs is a better offensive mind than Saunders and had everything going in the right direction(minus the infatuation with Brunell). This year we appear to have no identity and our team leader Portis seems dis-enchanted with the whole mess. Its to late this year but not to late to fix this mess for next year.

this is how i have always looked at it. I love the Cowboys and hate the Skins. But before all that comes the NFL itself. I love the NFL and what it represents. I love the Boys/Skins rivalry. I love the atmosphere that the NFL gives to a city that is running through the NFL like nobody else. That is a great feeling. Football to a lot of people is more than just a game. It goes beyond all that. Like I said before, when everything else sucks, if your team is winning that erases all that bad stuff. Time to bring that back.

hahaha...i honestly hate the Skins...but I love football more than anything. There is nothing more in this world I love more than football. I just want to get my hands on something in the NFL and if that means the Skins then so be it. I love seeing people happy and I remember the days, though vaguely, when the whole DC area had that extra bounce in their step. A time when the Skins actually represented something special. And with Dan willing to spend money and do what it takes to build a winning team it would work. Dan just goes about it the wrong way.
I agree I would love to work for an NFL team and do anything they asked. It would be the best job in the world. I to love football and watch almost every good game that is on.

Archived