Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My take on why the team is lost

Thirtyfive2seven

Hey man, part of the reason that the D is so bad is because we go 3 and out and sometimes that 3 and out didnt include a run play, so therefore we chew up 50 seconds, punt the ball away and the defense is forced to go back onto the field for 4-8 minutes.

We went 3 and out all the time last year and the year before. The defense sucks plain and simple. No excuses.

I think I want to add the term

"Smash mouth football'

to my list of football cliches that I hate..

We have a total of

295 passing plays

and

241 running plays by the RB's

21 by the WR

Considering the fact that we are 3-7 which means we have been loosing and playing comeback alot of the time you would think that the difference be alot larger....

How does Zone Blocking make you soft when 3 of the top 5 rushing teams in the league for the last 4 years have been zone blocking teams?

Didnt portis make his name in a zone blocking system in denver?

After he left didnt thye continue to be top 5 in rushing in the league?

I love portis but I cant agree with this at all

Of course he would say that....

Hes been hurt and is frustrated and his numbers are terrible this year

we have over 1200 yards rushing..

Is it Al saunders fault that he was only healthy enough to gain 500 of them?

But for the life of me I just cant understand how a guy can have so much praise prior to the season for what he has done with his offense elsewhere...

Even portis was praising and anxious about the new O...

But once things didnt go as planned now its was all stupid to do..

Before I pacify or cater to a bunch of guys who have never won anything..

I would rather keep saunders and JC and just find new players who think they fit and would buy into the sysytem. Because its proven.

:point2sky:point2sky

k..first of all, defense is the problem

the offense especially last game looked good, they just werent on the field cuz big mike was running on our D

CP had zone blocking in Denver....

Joe Gibbs offense wasnt too impressive his first year back either

Al Saunders is proven and the players know it, the Rams and KC bought into it, they want to produce like the players were on those teams

Campbell looks like he can run this offense, so we will now see how it should be run, frankly Brunell could not make the throws

Our O line is doing just fine in pass protection, i would like to see better exicution from everyone on the run plays however...

The Offense is FINE! just watch JC this week

The only problem we have is we dont draft anyone! No young up and comers on the bench waiting to get their shot, all the while pushing the vets to perform. How many times must we endure trying to BUY rings.

Drafting young talent isn't the problem. Gibbs doesn't like playing young players. Finding young talent and then playing them is a problem. The redskins are graded an F in both. I do get tired of the skins bringing in high-priced players from other NFL teams, especially division opponents.

I think you nailed it. But why dont he just start calling plays again. Wont that solve the problem.

Excellent question: There only answer I can think of is 2 million dollars. You can't really spend that kind of money on a coach in Al Saunders and then all the sudden take the play calling away from him in mid-season. I imagine the contract would have to be bought out, which Snyder would do, but I think there is something more to it than that.

Joe Gibbs is slowly phasing himself out of washington. He gave up the playcalling because of health issues. That's my guess. He wanted to make sure that they team would be in capable hands when he left - and he picked Al Saunders as that man. I don't think the team liked it one bit and that's the reason for our play this season.

The only game you can say the Skins played well in as far as running the football is concerned is against Jacksonville. What happened after that? You'd think that the running game was back and we'd get on a roll but we haven't really gotten back to it since.

The defense can be blamed for this. If you're playing from behind you have to throw it more often. Brunell too. There are just so many variables, but in the end I'm sticking with my guns. I think that the team is lost because Al Saunders is here and JG is not calling the plays.

Archived