Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chances at Jacksonville?

This is a "less critical" game for us, meaning if we have to lose a game from here on out, this is an ok one to lose. We need to get NFC wins going forward. Seattle and New York were critical games in this three game stretch on the road. If we are holding out playoff hope -- as I'm sure we all are whether we believed it possible to start the year, or two weeks ago -- then we need to handle the NFC games from here out and still have a solid 10 wins most likely. If we have to lose, this one we can.

But, this is a team we should just kill. I think we're learning with Spurrier that he beats teams his teams should beat. But there's a lot of years of built up worry over these types of games. Gibbs might drop a game like this, but it was a surprise for it to happen and you could almost always expect a pretty nice rebound. To me, this team is a couple of wins away from really starting to believe it can't be beaten -- at least on defense :).

If we can win this very easily winnable game and Fassel isn't lighting it up with his play calling we will enter a home game against the Rams with the type of confidence we've rarely seen here. Or, rather, that we've rarely seen and had it be somewhat earned. We have a lot of holes as a team, but, I think we should handle the Jags nicely.

Originally posted by Art

If we can win this very easily winnable game and Fassel isn't lighting it up with his play calling we will enter a home game against the Rams with the type of confidence we've rarely seen here. Or, rather, that we've rarely seen and had it be somewhat earned.

You know what that kind of confidence is called? It's called being above .500. If we can get that then we're finnally able to start talking playoffs, It's beena while since we've known that above .500 feeling, and it sure would be nice if spurrier could go and get us some of that.

-DB

The Skins haven't lost to the Jags so far. Fred Taylor is a great back. Smith is a great receiver. And I was one in favor of seeing if we could get Mark Brunnell in a Skins uniform.

Jacksonville has been playing poorly the last 4 or 5 weeks. Lost to the Texans no less... guess they are worse than the Bengals? :laugh:

Honestly, it is hard to tell which Jacksonville team will show up. They lost some players through free agency and the expansion draft, but they have some young players flying around after the ball. I wouldn't write this off as an easy win, but I think we should be able to handle this one.

Peace

They did lose to the Titans, but they also beat the Eagles. I'm thinking we get another W to keep this mini-streak going too, but we shouldn't discount them because of the loss to the Titans.

Their D isn't exactly terrible either. They are similar to the Seahawks in that they give up way to many yards on the ground, and are middle of the road against the pass. Hopefully Shane can get it in gear for this one and we'll look a little better.

Anyone have any news on SD's status for next week?

The Redskins will win, my "lock of the year". Spurrier as a coach has lost once in 12 tries and Shane never did in 3. Shane will play well and the D will keep the Jags under 21. You can say "but that was in college" but I see it as an inherent comfort level that all but negates Jaxs home field advantage.

I'm not saying Shane will finish out the season at QB, but I have a gut feeling (and the odds point to) that he'll play smart & loose plus a real good game by the Offensive Coordinator point to a 'Skins win.

3 in a row, baby!

I almost always agree with Art, but not this time only because I am going to the Skins/Jags game and I only want to see a win. Yes, we do need to get NFC wins, but winning this one would be okay too. He!!, winning all the rest of our games would be cool also, but we all know that won't happen. But it would be nice.

I am leaving tomorrow(11/5) after I vote(Bob Ehrlich for Maryland Governor) for Daytona Beach to stay with friends. Hang out at the beach for the rest of the week and then some Redskins football in Jacksonville on Sunday. It is going to feel like heaven, the beach, babes, beer, and Redskins football. Can it get any better then this?

Yes, it can. The wife won't be there.:D

Another win. The Jax secondary is suspect but their pass rush can cause problems. They have some good young defensive lineman, but I think that Stroud was injured, although he continued to play.

As I said before 12-4.

Another thing to consider is the story Bill Parcells told about returning to the Meadowlands to coach against the Giants for the first time with the Patriots. It was a big game anyway, but, Parcells said his team saw he was crying in the tunnel before the lineups were announced. The desire to win that game rubbed off on each of them because they knew how important it was to Parcells. The Pats came back with 20 points in the fourth quarter to win that game 23-22.

I'd imagine this game is going to be clearly very important to Spurrier. It's his first game back in Florida that means anything. He may have a very friendly crowd there, especially with the Jags reeling. Like the Pats against the Giants I could see us come out and press and fall behind early as the team presses so hard to make plays to win for the coach and perhaps we won't be able to come back if that does happen. But, I think a factor to weigh here is just how big a game this is to Spurrier and how that might get the team going.

to me this is a must game.

you have to say the Eagles game and the Rams game are iffy right now and Dallas always seems to beat the Skins either once or more recently twice :mad:

Jacksonville lost to the Giants and to the Texans. The Redskins have more talent than either of those teams.

As long as the Redskins hydrate themselves properly before the game I don't see this one as a loss unless we revert to throwing interceptions and fumbling the ball.

I think Davis is on notice with Watsons' performance that costly fumbles deep in Redskins' territory is something that may result in less carries and playing time now.

Here's to hoping GatorNation makes a large show of support in Jacksonville. Think Fred Taylor (like most non-NFCE players) forgot what it's like to play an ornery team from the East.

I am concerned about Brunell with his back to the wall but I think we can count on most players in Czar Coughlin's personal hell will be disaffected enough to roll over against the Skins the way they did against the G Men.

(knock knock knock)

No worries.

When we put our mind to it we can run the ball alot better than the midgets and look what they did to the Jags last night.

We match up well against their receivers if Smoot focuses on his man and not what the QB is doing in the backfield.

Gardener (knock on wood) if he remains healthy is going to provide an interior wall that will force the run on the edges to Jessie and Lavar.

Originally posted by Posse81

Fred Taylor left the game last night and headed to the locker room--anyone know his status? This could help, but Stacey Mack looked good in his place...

I'd rather face Taylor,who is slowed by injuries still. Mack is a power back who gets stronger as the game goes on. Getting ahead early and protecting the football are the keys to a W.

Art

I don't know about that analogy. With Parcells, you are talking about the same locker rooms, same stadium, and a very famous tunnel. You are also talking about the coaching differenr teams in the same league - the NFL. Not to mention coaching against his former team.

Spurrier will be in a different stadium and in a different league. He is not going against the Gators. The only time he coached in that stadium is for the "Largest Outdoor ****tail Party" vs. Georgia. So I think it is a stretch.

Does this game take on added importance for Spurrier? Yes. But I don't think it will be anywhere near to the degree that the media makes it out to be this week.

Brunell is another one of those scrambling QBs that seem to always hurt our team.

That hasn't been the case lately. None of the scrambling QBs we have seen so far this year have hurt the Skins because of their feet.

Last time we played Brunnell - 6 sacks.

Originally posted by Art

This is a "less critical" game for us, meaning if we have to lose a game from here on out, this is an ok one to lose. We need to get NFC wins going forward.

I agree with everything else you wrote, but I disagree with this. We need every win we can get, as we're not going to win the division barring a Philly collapse. And this is a very winnable game against a struggling team beset with problems. Plus, this will put us above .500 for the first time since Week 1.

It's probably the only time I'll ever write this again, but we'll miss Albert Connell and Leslie Shepard in this game. Unfortunately, we don't have a speedy WR to make big plays for us, which is something the Jags have always been susceptible to against us.

Connell was 7-211-3 in Week 8 in 2000 against them.

Leslie Shepard was 4-57-2 in Week 5 in 1997 against them.

Archived