Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Webb Wins U.S. Senate Seat in Virginia, Allen Expected to Concede Today

@DCGoldPants

You'd think the right wingers would side with a guy who refused to downsize the military but I guess that D beside his name is all they care about. :doh:

Some did, apparently. Hell, Webb is more of a true conservative than many, if not most, of the candidates the Repubs put out this year.

Webbs middle name is Satan?

I would have thought differently about voting for him if I had known that

"Jimmy Carter wanted to be remembered as the guy who gave equal access to women in all areas," Webb says, "and the Carter administration had intimidated people inside this building (the Pentagon), military leaders, the joint chiefs of staff, to supporting the idea. But it was a bad idea." (Washington Post, 12/8/85)

The Navy's hesitancy to release a study that shows that 41 percent of enlisted women who became pregnant in a recent 10 month period were single comes amid promises by Navy Secretary James H. Webb to expand job opportunities for women and to crack down on sexual harassment. It also comes as a special panel created by Mr. Webb has found that Navy commanders are frustrated over the service's pregnancy rate. (AP, New York Times, 2/2/88)

But asked by a group of women officers one day what advice he would give his eldest child, 17-year-old Amy, if she were to seek a Navy career, he answered: "Don't try for a combat billet." (New York Times, 2/28/88)

Webb wrote a magazine article: "Women Can't Fight." It was a heated argument against plans to use the military as "a test tube for social experimentation." He asserted that women were innately less violent: "Women don 't rape men, and it has nothing to do, obviously, with socially induced differences . . . Furthermore, men fight better without women around." (Washington Post, 12/8/85)

"In Vietnam, when the monsoon hit, our whole valley was under water," adds James Webb, an ex-Marine and author of the combat novel, "Fields of Fire." "We had to get out on ropes with 70 pounds of equipment on our backs. Most women couldn't handle that." (Newsweek, 2/18/80)

Webb and others think that changing standards for women have given them a false sense of physical accomplishment. "You can take football and modify the rules so women can play," he says. "That's fine -- until they face the Dallas Cowboys and get slaughtered." (Newsweek, 2/18/80)

HE IS A COWBOYS FAN!!!

In response to the fact that there were 18,000 single parents in the Army, Webb said, "What do we do to assure readiness?" asks author Webb. "Do we turn the Army into a baby-sitting service?" (Newsweek, 2/18/80)

Speaking out on the controversy in an article in Washingtonian magazine James Webb wrote that the mere presence of women at the service academies, where they are trained to lead soldiers into combat, "has sterilized the whole process of combat leadership training, and our military forces are doomed to suffer the consequences." (National Journal, 4/5/80)

Webb contended that the average woman is not psychologically or physiologically equipped to cope with combat. The exceptional woman may be able to cope, Webb said, but including her in a combat unit would destroy its "cohesion" and "chemistry," elements crucial to soldiers' survival. (National Journal, 4/5/80)

Webb referred to female midshipman at Annapolis as "thunder thighs." (Baltimore Sun, 8/28/92)

In his 1997 article entitled "The War on Military Culture," Webb said, "The roots of this assault on the military culture go back thirty years, to an odd dovetailing of the feminist and antiwar movements....In its drive for ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment, the feminist movement saw the military as its optimal 'peripheral' battle. To win on the issue of women in combat, the most quintessentially male obligation in any society, would moot all other debates regarding female roles...enormous pressure is exerted on them [those in "the ranks] to accentuate the positive aspects of this social experiment and ignore or diminish the negative....In many areas where females have been introduced into the military, leaders imbued with the imperative of ethical conduct are constantly challenged to hold back on the truth or risk their futures...Consider the commander who knows that the culprit in such situations is not one or half-dozen individuals, but a system that throws healthy young men and women together inside a volatile, isolated crucible of emotions – a ship at sea or basic training...It is difficult to explain to those who have not served in the operational military, and even too many military females who do not comprehend the ethos of units in which women do not serve, why the military is, and must remain, different from the civilian world when it comes to these issues...neither should we delude ourselves into thinking that assimilation of females into military occupational specialties is the same as breaking racial and ethnic barriers. Eliminating cultural bias requires intellectual conditioning to break down old attitudes. But eliminating or neutralizing an attraction to the opposite sex requires much sterner and more imaginative therapy, and is probably impossible." (Webb, The Weekly Standard, 1/20/97).

According to Miller, Webb said, "I have never met a woman... whom I would trust" to lead men in the military? (The Hotline, 3/29/06)

Events such as the 1991 Tailhook debacle have been seized upon and used by feminists to attack the military culture and bring about major concessions." (Webb, The Weekly Standard, 1/20/97).

You'd think the right wingers would side with a guy who refused to downsize the military but I guess that D beside his name is all they care about.

Anyone who can figure out the point of Johnny Punani's cut and paste job let me know please. Other than an inability to say "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought he was the Secretary of the Navy during Tailhook, my bad."

Oh, I'm sorry I thought he was the Sec of the Navy during tailhook, my bad.

Happy now?

Some did, apparently. Hell, Webb is more of a true conservative than many, if not most, of the candidates the Repubs put out this year.

I don't think Webb got that many right wingers so much as he got moderate Republicans and true conservatives (except Sarge :silly: ). Let's face it, some wingers are simply not going to vote Democrat no matter what. And I agree with you that Webb is pretty conservative and that is why he made a good candidate here in VA.

I don't think Webb got that many right wingers so much as he got moderate Republicans and true conservatives (except Sarge :silly: ). Let's face it, some wingers are simply not going to vote Democrat no matter what. And I agree with you that Webb is pretty conservative and that is why he made a good candidate here in VA.

Generally, Webb appears to be what Dems were 40-50 years ago. He definately is more conservative than Allen

Wont it be nice to have an election that when a side loses they don't piss and moan about it until people can no longer recount and judges take over... They wait for it.... wait for it.... concede...

Yes, I thought so too.

Ohh i voted for Webb/Moran because of the promise so that was 2 votes he didnt get right there...

George Allen is a telegenic empty suit. We have plenty on the Democratic side. He added nothing to the Senate. That will get you elected when your party is in the ascendancy or when your opponent holds views that are completely out of line with the electorate in your district. It wasn't enough here.

I AM surprised to see how strongly Johnny Punani believes that women should be fully integrated into military combat operations. Good on you Johnny - very progressive thinking!

George Allen is a telegenic empty suit. We have plenty on the Democratic side. He added nothing to the Senate. That will get you elected when your party is in the ascendancy or when your opponent holds views that are completely out of line with the electorate in your district. It wasn't enough here.

I AM surprised to see how strongly Johnny Punani believes that women should be fully integrated into military combat operations. Good on you Johnny - very progressive thinking!

Thank you.

It's surprising to see how Dems back a guy who is openly sexist. As long as there is a D by that name, they will look the other way.

Thank you.

It's surprising to see how Dems back a guy who is openly sexist. As long as there is a D by that name, they will look the other way.

Well, sometimes it is hard to get those old-school military types to change their thinking. Webb seems to have grown a lot since then, and I applaud him for it.

Archived