Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For those who say Brunell can't go downfield.......

#1SkinsFan

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1032

Check out his stats so far from this year.

He has 23 passes for 20 + yards, compared to 36 of ALL last year

He has 4 passes for 40 + yards, compared to only 9 of ALL last year!

So by going downfield, how far do you want him to go? A hail mary every time?

I watch the games as much as the rest of you and sometimes his dumpoffs and screens can get frustarting, but as you can see, he does have the ability to get it deep. He should have at least 6 or more of 40 +, but they have been called back b/c of penalty (i.e- Lloyd catch, called back for holding on Fauris, B.S. call).

Maybe it's just b/c the WR's aren't getting open as much as everyone wants them to, and that's why he is forced to throw to his only option which is usually the RB. But if you give him time, and the o-line blocks well, like it did vs. Dallas, he has that oppurtunity which is why we saw so many passes deep down the middle or a few down the sidelines.

He has 8 Td's and only 3 ints and isn't making any crucial mistakes, but the poor o-line play has caused most of us to overlook his talent and way of getting the ball to open recievers. If our o-line play improves well enough to give Mark time so that he isn't immediately flushed out of the pocket, then look for his stats to be increased and look for more receivers to get the ball through deep and intermediate passes. He played his 2 best games against good defenses in teh Jags and Cowboys ( and a bad texan defense), but that was mainly due to how good our o-line was.

So overall, O-Line improvement=More passes downfield=Better play from Brunell and co, which ultimately equals more wins, and no more calling of Brunell's head (for now :))

Just my :2cents:.........................

so he is on pace to throw fewer than last year since we are at the midway point

According to those numbers yes, but those are just predictions. They also say Portis is on pace for only 996 yards since he has 498 currently, and we all know that he will def. have 1100 or more.

So Brunell could end up with 8 passes at the end of the season of over 40 yards or he could end up with 15. Depends on how well the o-line and receivers play for the rest of the year.

Like that 74 yarder to Portis? Yea that was all in the air, right? Now I am not bashing him or defending him. All I am saying, don't come here and defend him until you tell me how many of those supposed long bombs were actually in the air for more than 20 yards.

Like that 74 yarder to Portis? Yea that was all in the air, right? Now I am not bashing him or defending him. All I am saying, don't come here and defend him until you tell me how many of those supposed long bombs were actually in the air for more than 20 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302215

That was Portis's only catch for over 40 yards and he has only 2 for over 20 this season. So the rest must be coming from the TE's and WR's. At least most of the 20 yard passes.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302215

That was Portis's only catch for over 40 yards and he has only 2 for over 20 this season. So the rest must be coming from the TE's and WR's. At least most of the 20 yard passes.

Thats fine. That was just one example. Another one is the Texans game. On the stat line it says Brunell throws a 22 yard TD to Randle El. But the pass was a horizontal screen 1 yard deep, and Randle El took it the rest of the way.

All I am saying is, Brunells stats are sckewed because the WRs run the yards instead of Brunell passing them.

To all those defending Moss and others and all of their yards coming after the catch. Most of them actually are not. None of our receivers or TE's are averaging more than 8 YAC.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/bycategory?cat=Receiving&conference=NFCEast&year=season_2006&timeframe=ToDate&sort=28&old_category=Receiving

^^ That is a link to everyone in the NFC East that has caught a pass and their total receiving yards and YAC, YPG, etc.

So look at those and think what you want about Brunell, but the fact is, with time, he WILL get it deep, and almost 62 % of the time complete it.

OH and BTW Bat~Man, no one on the team is averaging more than 11 yards after the catch. And Portis is the only player with that stat, mainly b/c of that 74 yard catch and run in the Houston game. Everyone else is averaging 8 YAC or less. Just letting you know.

this is absurd. your point...if everything goes perfectly MB can throw the ball further than 20 yards. my god! this is earth shaking news! alert the presses.

now...about those quality NFL defenses that can apply some pass rush pressure...should we just give up in those games?

To all those defending Moss and others and all of their yards coming after the catch. Most of them actually are not. None of our receivers or TE's are averaging more than 8 YAC.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/bycategory?cat=Receiving&conference=NFCEast&year=season_2006&timeframe=ToDate&sort=28&old_category=Receiving

^^ That is a link to everyone in the NFC East that has caught a pass and their total receiving yards and YAC, YPG, etc.

So look at those and think what you want about Brunell, but the fact is, with time, he WILL get it deep, and almost 62 % of the time complete it.

OH and BTW Bat~Man, no one on the team is averaging more than 11 yards after the catch. And Portis is the only player with that stat, mainly b/c of that 74 yard catch and run in the Houston game. Everyone else is averaging 8 YAC or less. Just letting you know.

Do you not watch the games?

this is absurd. your point...if everything goes perfectly MB can throw the ball further than 20 yards. my god! this is earth shaking news! alert the presses.

now...about those quality NFL defenses that can apply some pass rush pressure...should we just give up in those games?

Our o-line played very well last year and gave him time to get the ball downfield even against good defenses, didn't it? Yes it did, so why can't it do the same for this year? Huh?

ANSWER: B/c they can do the same thing, and hopefully will prove it in the coming weeks.

Key word is average. So he thows a 2 yd pass and he takes it 50yds, next 3 passes go for 3yds each and the defender nails him in his tracks. Do the math, thats 4 passes for 59 yds for an average of 14yds a catch.

Stats mean little to nothing. Winning is everything, its the only thing. Why is the most important stat (3-5) ignored by so many. Baffling.

HELP! HELP! HELP! ...MODS PLEASE FILE THIS BENCH/SAVE BRUNELL THREAD UNDER FILE 13! Why, OH Why, Can't we talk about anything other than bench Brunell Save Brunell.

This Horse has been Shot, shabbed, hung, disinvalved, drawn and Quartered.

I say Brunell is still going to start...I don't want him to....The rest of the brunell Benchers don't want him to but face it Joe Gibbs is calling the shots and he will play until he gets hurt or chokes on his own puke!!!

Yes his numbers are not Bad...he doesn't have as many interceptions but he still will not win the big game!!

yes he has deep passes doesn't turn over the ball....What does this man? Nothing because Gibbs will continue to play him. They beat Dallas so I am happy.

My Brother is a Dallas fan and so is my Wife!! That was the Superbowl for me when Dallas lost to the Redskins because now they Shut up and listen to me dis Dallas!!

Brunell was one of many things going wrong before the Bye. Everything including defense is working itself out. Soon Gibbs will see Brunell for what and who he is and that situation will work itself out too.

Mods please put this in the Brunell save/bash pile and lets have some new original posts.

I don't hate Brunell but I don't think he has that Championship arm. PLEASE OH PLEASE DON'T WASTE HD SPACE WITH THESE THREADS!!

Thats why its a little off He can throw a 2 yard screen to moss and moss wil get 24 yards once then the next time he will get tackled as soon as he catches H e does that twice and his yac is down to what 4.5.

Archived