Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For those who say Brunell can't go downfield.......

#1SkinsFan

If you watched the games then you know your argument is ridiculous. Simple as that.

Dude I haven't missed a game in like 5 years, trust me, i would take pics of my room to show you how dedicated I am, but there is no need.

I watch the games, and it does get frustrating, but your acting like every single game, all he does is throw short routes and the receivers, te's or whoever is catching it always has to make the yards up after they catch the short pass, when the fact is that NOT ALL of them are short passes that go for big gains.

Now granted at least 60-65 % are short, that other 40 % is Mark at least TRYING to get it downfield, before the pockee collapses or before he throws a screen.

Now I'm not on the Brunell bandwagon, but as long as he's in I might as well support him, at least til Campbell gets in the game.

MB was 1 for 3, 9 yards (short pass to CP), 0 TD 1 sack, in the 3rd quarter of Sunday's game. For the season his QB rating in the 3rd quarter is sub-70. He completed 2 passes to Brandon Lloyd, and zero to Antwaan Randle El the entire game. His favorite target was Ladell Betts, and he also managed to find Mike Sellers a couple of times. He should've been picked off twice.

But a light switch went off, and he discovered the middle of the field, between the hash marks. Hallelujah!

So you're right, Brunell can go downfield.

He just chooses not to go to Lloyd and Randle El.

Oh, and thanks for another Brunell thread.

"Our o-line played very well last year and gave him time to get the ball downfield even against good defenses, didn't it? Yes it did, so why can't it do the same for this year? Huh?

ANSWER: B/c they can do the same thing, and hopefully will prove it in the coming weeks."

that's not the issue. you are creating a case for success that simply does not factor into the modern game - certainly the Redskins (although, comicly, JC could do equally well with perfect pass proytection and open receivers. it's a silly argument). many of us have been posting from day 1 that MB is not as capable as many NFL QBs....not even as capable as he was last season...at making the play happen when under pressure. You can see it - he has happy feet, doesn't see the field well, doesn't make things happen. He's a servicable QB...too bad we will have to waste a year proving that we cannot get to the SB with him at the helm! everyone but the apologists and an overly conservative Joe Gibbs seems to realize this: you have a physically deteriorating QB playing a young man's game in which speed and quickness count for everything.

I don't much care whether JC proves out immediately or not. I know that we are not going to the SB with MB. Any halfwit knows that a little pressure shuts him down and removes parts of the field. We do not have a QB running this team who has the physical ability to bring us from 2 TDs down. Moreover, it is dubious whether he has the phyisical strength to make it through a 16 game schedule. Since he arrived here there have been issues about his leg strength and health.

Dude I haven't missed a game in like 5 years, trust me, i would take pics of my room to show you how dedicated I am, but there is no need.

I watch the games, and it does get frustrating, but your acting like every single game, all he does is throw short routes and the receivers, te's or whoever is catching it always has to make the yards up after they catch the short pass, when the fact is that NOT ALL of them are short passes that go for big gains.

Now granted at least 60-65 % are short, that other 40 % is Mark at least TRYING to get it downfield, before the pockee collapses or before he throws a screen.

Now I'm not on the Brunell bandwagon, but as long as he's in I might as well support him, at least til Campbell gets in the game.

OK, here is the stats you need so you can understand:

Pass Thrown: 21-30 yds. 9 19 279 47.4 14.68 68 2 0 0.0 128.7 0 0 0.0 0 0

Pass Thrown: 31-40 yds. 1 6 37 16.7 6.17 37 0 1 0.0 13.2 0 0 0.0 0 0

Pass Thrown: 41+ yds. 1 1 52 100.0 52.00 52 0 0 0.0 118.8 0 0 0.0 0 0

So out of his 229 attempts he has only ATTEMPTED 26 attempts past 20 yards and ONLY ONE over 40 yards. So now what do you have to say to this? 11 for 26 is well below 50% and his numbers stink past 20 yards. So you can say you know what your talking about, but these are the stats that prove he does not only attempt beyond 20 yards, but he doesn't complete many!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=445

Now go to sleep, you have school tomorrow.

FrankenMonkey over at CPND did a bangup job on some research regarding one Mark Brunell and YAC. He has been gracious enough to allow me to post his research here.

The Redskins have a total of 1657 yards passing (all by Brunell). This ranks 21st in the league for all teams (note 18 teams have had only 1 QB comprising 100% of their total passing yardage)

Of Brunell's 1657 yards, 973 yards of it is YAC yardage. That means 58.7% of his passing yards is gained by the receiver running with the ball. You know where this ranks in the league? You guessed it: DEAD LAST! Behind every QB/QB tandem in the league. McNabb, is 31st with 53% of his yardage being YAC.

Take away the YAC, and Brunell's TRUE passing yardage, or his yards-before-catch (YBC), is only 684 yards. Again, DEAD LAST in the league.

His average YBC/Attempt is a whopping 2.99 yards. 31st, above only the powerhouse tandem of Simms/Gradkowski in TB.

His average YBC/Completion is a lowly 4.68 yards. 31st in the league, above only the powerhouse Carr/Rosenfels passing duo in Houston.

Let's compare him to some of the less than stellar QBs in the league not know for their passing abilities:

Kitna: 6.67 YBC/Comp

Vick: 7.98 YBC/Comp

Plummer: 7.5 YBC/Comp

Pennington: 6.61 YBC/Comp

Frye: 5.36 YBC/Comp

That's just a few. Keep in mind, Brunell's 31st in the stat. Which means, whatever QB you come up with, he ranks above Brunell.

Here's the link to the stats he compiled:

http://members.cox.net/frankenmonkey/YAC.htm

Also, did you take in account that Brunell has completed 229 passes in comparison to the 148 he completed after 8 games last year? I'm sure you did that because that presents a big part of the picture.

Sorry but I Do Not Care. This thread isn't original, doesn't bring any new evidence to the table

Guess what! Both sides lose this Agrument because Gibbs still runs the team...Hello!

yes he got deep passes...Yes people want to save and people want to bench him. So what! He is still starting and still getting paid. No matter what we say Gibbs still will make the executive decisions.

Be patient My fellow fans, The best is yet to come!!

stats stats stats...what does it do? Nothing but furnish enough reciept paper to wipe your azz with.

For example: skins gave up over a hundred yards rushing to Dallas but Guess what!! No rushing scores for Dallas!!

Please give up this war....Brunell has no weapons of mass destruction!!:laugh: :laugh:

OK, here is the stats you need so you can understand:

Pass Thrown: 21-30 yds. 9 19 279 47.4 14.68 68 2 0 0.0 128.7 0 0 0.0 0 0

Pass Thrown: 31-40 yds. 1 6 37 16.7 6.17 37 0 1 0.0 13.2 0 0 0.0 0 0

Pass Thrown: 41+ yds. 1 1 52 100.0 52.00 52 0 0 0.0 118.8 0 0 0.0 0 0

So out of his 229 attempts he has only ATTEMPTED 26 attempts past 20 yards and ONLY ONE over 40 yards. So now what do you have to say to this? 11 for 26 is well below 50% and his numbers stink past 20 yards. So you can say you know what your talking about, but these are the stats that prove he does not only attempt beyond 20 yards, but he doesn't complete many!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=445

Now go to sleep, you have school tomorrow.

What's with the personal attacks dude? Chill.

It ain't like anything we say is going to change Gibbs decision on who he keeps at QB. I was just providing an argument to TRY and prove something good about Brunell. Guess some people take things to seriously.

What's with the personal attacks dude? Chill.

It ain't like anything we say is going to change Gibbs decision on who he keeps at QB. I was just providing an argument to TRY and prove something good about Brunell. Guess some people take things to seriously.

I am just tired of these Brunell threads. I don't mind him being in there if we are winning. But dont try to convince us of something that every Redskins fan knows, even the Brunell lovers, Brunell does not go deep. Why? I dont know, but he doesn't do it.

Look at real stats, not just fibbed ones.

Thanks for the links.

Very telling is how opposing defenses can scheme against us.

Out of all our pass attempts this season:

14% of the passing yards come from the middle of the field.

8% of all the passes thrown are at the middle of the field.

Most are at the left sideline.

And yet the horse takes yet more abuse. Hey Guys put down the baseball bats its no longer a horse. it's a lump of skin you beat all the meat of it!!

Thats fine. That was just one example. Another one is the Texans game. On the stat line it says Brunell throws a 22 yard TD to Randle El. But the pass was a horizontal screen 1 yard deep, and Randle El took it the rest of the way.

All I am saying is, Brunells stats are sckewed because the WRs run the yards instead of Brunell passing them.

This is such a ridiculous arguement. I suppose we have the only recievers in the league who run after the catch!?!?!?!?

It doesnt matter WHAT happens. HATE breeds IGNORANCE, IGNORANCE breeds HATE. Anything negative that happens, its on Brunell. Anything positive, its our recievers. :doh:

This is such a ridiculous arguement. I suppose we have the only recievers in the league who run after the catch!?!?!?!?

It doesnt matter WHAT happens. HATE breeds IGNORANCE. Anything negative that happens, its on Brunell. Anything positive, its our recievers. :doh:

More people with bats to beat this subject horse:doh: Hey niether side will win. Or do we know this?

It doesnt matter WHAT happens. HATE breeds IGNORANCE. Anything negative that happens, its on Brunell. Anything positive, its our recievers. :doh:

That is not my point. If we are winning, I do not mind Brunell in. He manages the game great for us and makes plays when he needs to. My point in this entire thread is Brunell does not throw deep. He puts the ball in the playmakers hands, like he should, and lets them do the rest.

But that is no pun intended for Brunell. Now if we start losing, I would want Campbell in to build for the future. Not hate or love for Brunell. Just accepting him as long as we win.

It doesnt matter WHAT happens. HATE breeds IGNORANCE, IGNORANCE breeds HATE. Anything negative that happens, its on Brunell. Anything positive, its our recievers. :doh:

Brunell is 4th in the league as far as YAC. McNabb, Brees and Favre are higher.

There has NEVER been one player on this team since I've been on or lurked on Extreme or any other message board that has been defended more for so little production (and enthusiasm and passion) as Mark Brunell.

As for the original poster---have you been on the board the last several weeks? Seriously, people have broken down the stats, yet you do (mainly) re-hashing of what's been posted.

Archived