Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Patterson Signs Contract Extension

OWUeagleMD

Seems a little premature to me. Ultimately I think it's a good move though.

Staying Patt: Eagles Extend DT

November 2, 2006

By CHRIS McPHERSON

It didn't take long for the Eagles to realize that they want defensive tackle Mike Patterson to be a keystone of the defensive line for a long, long time.

Patterson signed a 7-year contract extension on Thursday, which will keep him in the midnight green through the 2016 season. He is the first member of the NFL's Class of 2005 and the fifth Eagle in the past five months to sign a contract extension joining guard Shawn Andrews (through 2015), center Jamaal Jackson (2013), free safety Brian Dawkins (2008) and punter Dirk Johnson (2011). The Eagles sign more players to second contracts than any other team in the NFL.

"The Eagles always had a great team and always (are) going to be a great team," said Patterson, who said he would celebrate by sleeping. "The city is nice, you're always going to have to deal with that winter, but I'm pretty excited about it. I have complete confidence in the team and all of the players who are going to be here now and all of the players who are going to be here in the future. I feel like it's going to be some good stuff."

The team's first-round draft pick out of USC in 2005, the 31st overall selection, started in seven games last season and led the defensive line with 66 tackles and all NFL rookie defensive tackles with 3.5 sacks. This season, Patterson has started in every game and has 36 tackles, 1.5 sacks and two fumble recoveries, one of which he returned 98 yards for a touchdown against the 49ers.

The Eagles defensive tackle rotation is set for years to come. Veterans Darwin Walker and Sam Rayburn are under contract through 2008 and 2011, respectively. Patterson signed an extension Thursday and Brodrick Bunkley and LaJuan Ramsey were only drafted this year.

A three-year starter at USC and a native of Los Alamitos, CA, Patterson helped the Trojans to win back-to-back National Championships in 2003 and 2004, earning All-America honors as a senior.

Thats a pretty good move, they should work on locking up Trent Cole for about 50 years next if they know whats good for them.

L.J. Smith, Reggie Brown, Todd Herremans, and Trent Cole should all be on the horizon. I would imagine that Patterson's deal occupies a great deal of this season's salary cap. I think there are only a few more days for deal's to sneak inside this season's cap. Hopefully we get another extension in before then.

What's up with Bunkley? Have the Eagles gotten tired of man-beasts?

He's been a dissapointment. Hopefully he'll turn it around. He's only 8 games into his career. He definitely has played like a rookie when he's been in the game.

If Walker has a few more games like he did last week we'll be seeing plenty more Bunkley down the stretch.

What's up with Bunkley? Have the Eagles gotten tired of man-beasts?

Come on, Bunkley is a rookie. No one knows what he'll be yet.

Actually, the jury is still out on Patterson. It's not like he's been great this year.

This means he'll get like 12.5 mil in guarantees for a guy who's played 1 1/2 seasons. The 9 mil guaranteed from this contract, plus his 3.5 mil (i think) SB from his rookie contract.

That's a lot of guarantee for a guy that has only been around a small while.

So you can't harp on the eagles not spending. They clearly are in this case.

As an Eagle fan, I wouldn't hate the signing, but love it? meh. I'd be more concerned the defense looks a little crappy and they're re-signing players anyway.

I'd be more concerned the defense looks a little crappy and they're re-signing players anyway.

If the Skins were more competitive this season I'd be thrilled with this move. The Eagles spending on the future instead of being concerned something like this years LB, CB, WR or RB situation.

Come on, Bunkley is a rookie. No one knows what he'll be yet.

Actually, the jury is still out on Patterson. It's not like he's been great this year.

This means he'll get like 12.5 mil in guarantees for a guy who's played 1 1/2 seasons. The 9 mil guaranteed from this contract, plus his 3.5 mil (i think) SB from his rookie contract.

That's a lot of guarantee for a guy that has only been around a small while.

So you can't harp on the eagles not spending. They clearly are in this case.

As an Eagle fan, I wouldn't hate the signing, but love it? meh. I'd be more concerned the defense looks a little crappy and they're re-signing players anyway.

You've basically channeled my thoughts.

This almost seems like a distraction move. The way the Bush administration always has good news to leak whenever there is a particularly grim week in Iraq.

If the Skins were more competitive this season I'd be thrilled with this move. The Eagles spending on the future instead of being concerned something like this years LB, CB, WR or RB situation.

What do you want them to do about the LBs, WRs, or RBs right now?

Teams don't improve on paper at this point in the season. Signing young players to contract extensions at this time of the year may not have much impact on the present team, but it's far and away the most impactful decision a team can make in the middle of a season.

pft.com

POSTED 6:21 p.m. EST, November 2, 2006

PATTERSON GETS PAID

The Eagles have signed defensive tackle Mike Patterson to a long-term extension, locking up the team's 2005 first-round draft choice through 2016 via a seven year extension that doesn't even begin to apply until 2010.

Under the contract, Patterson gets $4.5 million to sign and a $4.5 million roster bonus in 2007. The salaries beginning in 2010 are $1.1 million, $1.4 million, $2.1 million, $2.9 million, $3.65 million, $4.9 million, and $6.25 million.

But since the only real guarantee is the $4.5 million signing bonus, and since that money prorates at $900,000 per year starting this year, there will be no cap acceleration if he is cut in 2010 or thereafter.

From 2010 and onward, then, the contract is a series of one-year deals -- and very reasonable salaries if Patterson becomes a stud. And if he becomes a stud, he'll surely claim that he has outperformed his deal.

Before Patterson or his agents succumb to that temptation, they need to keep in mind the $9 million in bonuses that Patterson has received in exchange for voluntarily tying himself down for the next decade.

Teams don't improve on paper at this point in the season. Signing young players to contract extensions at this time of the year may not have much impact on the present team, but it's far and away the most impactful decision a team can make in the middle of a season.

As I stated prior, it is a great move for the organization. I wish the the Redskins would have concentrated a bit more on these types of moves over the years!

What do you want them to do about the LBs, WRs, or RBs right now?

I understand there is minimal they can do now to help. My point was simply that they should have addressed some of these deficiencies in preseason or at least prior to the trade deadline.

Archived