Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do we subject ourselves to the stress?

grampi

Have you ever asked yourself this question? I have and I can't answer it. I have several sports teams I follow, and every time one of them loses, a piece of me dies. I love the Skins, but we all see the meltdown that's currently taking place. I also like the Detroit Tigers, and now it doesn't look good for them the series. In college, I follow the Woulverines, and if they don't end up #1, I will be devistated. I lose sleep over these games. My blood pressure would be alot lower if I could give up sports and just get into yoga or something, but I can't. I know I'm not the only one who sufferes from this illness. Why do we subject ourselves to such abuse over sports?

It tears me up to see this team struggle. However, I realize that my opinion means nothing to the coaching staff.

We can all scream for the benching of Brunell and see Campbell get a shot. But at the end of the day, we have no influence on the decision process

Have you ever asked yourself this question? I have and I can't answer it. I have several sports teams I follow, and every time one of them loses, a piece of me dies. I love the Skins, but we all see the meltdown that's currently taking place. I also like the Detroit Tigers, and now it doesn't look good for them the series. In college, I follow the Wolverines, and if they don't end up #1, I will be devistated. I lose sleep over these games. My blood pressure would be alot lower if I could give up sports and just get into yoga or something, but I can't. I know I'm not the only one who sufferes from this illness. Why do we subject ourselves to such abuse over sports?

The sweet tastes so much sweeter when youve experienced the sour. The answer to this question is found solely in the ecstatic euphoria that washes over each individual member of our fan base as the final seconds glide wistfully off the clock and mark the dawning of another Redskins victory. The whoops and cheers celebrate in deafening cacophony as OUR team wins.

The only thing that makes it worth getting up for is the winning. When that doesnt happen we find ourselves questioning things. Questioning your loyalty is a bad thing but its an unfortunate side effect when the team loses a lot.

Look on the bright side, at least we arent Raiders fans. Their offensive coordinator uses his guestbook as a playbook I think.

"ok its third and 7 so we want a twin room with en suite and morning room service on this next play"........

again the mind boggles.

Have you ever asked yourself this question? I have and I can't answer it. I have several sports teams I follow, and every time one of them loses, a piece of me dies. I love the Skins, but we all see the meltdown that's currently taking place. I also like the Detroit Tigers, and now it doesn't look good for them the series. In college, I follow the Woulverines, and if they don't end up #1, I will be devistated. I lose sleep over these games. My blood pressure would be alot lower if I could give up sports and just get into yoga or something, but I can't. I know I'm not the only one who sufferes from this illness. Why do we subject ourselves to such abuse over sports?

I have been saying the same thing all week, except I am a caps, wizards, hoyas, notre dame football and nats fan. I haven't had one team out of this group win a title since 1991 that is 15 years. You would think odds are one of these would fall into a title or something. It makes no sense, it is an addiction for sure.

Because the football season is only 16 games. We only get 16 opportunities to see them play this year if they aren't good.

Because the offseason is SOO long. It takes forever to get from the end of football to the beginning of football again.

Because we invest so much time and energy breaking this team down. Analyzing its strengths and weaknesses, and ways to make it better.

Because we pay a LOT of money to see games, or buy jerseys.

Because this is the best televised sport, the best team sport, and because we're sick of losing.

Because we were supposed to be so good, and we're not. It's a huge disappointment. We went from superbowl contenders to #1 draft pick contenders.

The sweet tastes so much sweeter when youve experienced the sour. The answer to this question is found solely in the ecstatic euphoria that washes over each individual member of our fan base as the final seconds glide wistfully off the clock and mark the dawning of another Redskins victory. The whoops and cheers celebrate in deafening cacophony as OUR team wins.

The only thing that makes it worth getting up for is the winning. When that doesnt happen we find ourselves questioning things. Questioning your loyalty is a bad thing but its an unfortunate side effect when the team loses a lot.

Look on the bright side, at least we arent Raiders fans. Their offensive coordinator uses his guestbook as a playbook I think.

"ok its third and 7 so we want a twin room with en suite and morning room service on this next play"........

again the mind boggles.

I'm not qustioning my own team loyalty, my favorite teams will always stay the same. What I am questioning is why we subject ourselves to the stresses that come with being such devoted fans. There are so many ligitmate things in life that cause stress. Do we need another one that so many others would consider ridiculous?

You've had it fairly good. If you're really 48 then you've lived through 2 World Series Titles (1968, 1984) and possibly a third one if the Tigers win the Series against the Cards. Two national titles at Michigan (Football 1997, Basketball 1989). Not to mention UM is one of the winningest college teams of all time. And you witnessed three Super Bowl wins for the Redskins (1982, 1987, 1991).

I'm just saying.

It is all about being a die hard fan. I have pondered this question myself. With each new year there is hope. I, like many, wait all year long for these 16 weeks of football, with the hopes of more than 16 weeks, following every article and minute detail reported. When those hopes and expectations don't pan out it is hard to take. Even when my expectations are low it isn't easy to take. I just think it is a way of life. Most die hards, like myself, were brought up following a team and thus engulf themselves so deeply in every aspect of following their team(s). That is the only conclusion I have been able to come up w/ on why I stress so hard about the Skins. My girlfriend doesn't understand it, and blames me for getting too upset and constantly accuses me of caring more about the Skins than her. But to be fair I have had love for the Skins much longer than I have for her, even though that isn't my counter argument. :D

I feel the same about Terps hoops, just not quite as extreme as the Skins.

I've asked this queston to myself many times. I still don't have an answer. I just love the competitive nature of it all I guess. The "I'm better than you" mentality.

I know people who couldn't care less about things like football, or the "i'm better than you mentality", or anything thats competitive.

Sometimes I feel sorry for those people, but then other times I'm envious because they seem to be much happier.

I guess its just part of our genetic make up.

I'm a Yankee, Knicks and Redskins fan, so just imagine. It hurts more when the Skins lose though, because unlike basketball and baseball football is such a short season. I hate the feeling of knowing we may not make the playoffs in just 7 weeks. Another thing all of my favorite teams have in common is that they all have the highest salaries in their respective sports. Go figure...

You've had it fairly good. If you're really 48 then you've lived through 2 World Series Titles (1968, 1984) and possibly a third one if the Tigers win the Series against the Cards. Two national titles at Michigan (Football 1997, Basketball 1989). Not to mention UM is one of the winningest college teams of all time. And you witnessed three Super Bowl wins for the Redskins (1982, 1987, 1991).

I'm just saying.

Hmmm... that's interesting.

Could that actually make it worse though? Sure, tasting the sour makes the sweet that much better... but it works the other way around too.

Archived