Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

offensive issues (poll)

desertfox59

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

...also, look at the other teams that are doing well. Notice how their offensive line protect for their QB and how much time he has to throw the ball. Peyton Manning for example: play action, four step drop, pass to a wide open Reggie Wayne...touchdown! Could Brunell do that? Yes, he needs more time. He did it last year...a few times. Most notable, Santana Moss in Dallas, Texas.

None of the above: Al Saunders.

this poll says no coaches.

It is to see where people stand on whose to blame amongst the players.

I agree we might not have needed Al Saunders, but since he's here and it is his game plan, the poll askes given those realities who is failing the offense the most.

soooo...

vote or die. ;)

Well its either Saunders, the OL, or Brunell or a combination of the 3. Unlike Gibbs last year Saunders seems unwilling to design an offense to defeat the weakness of opponents and take advantage of our strengths. The OL seems incapable of blocking any pass rusher, and Brunell seems incapable of throwing the ball further than 5 yards on 90% of his throws.

The Offense just sucks. The defense has an excuse overall but a few players stand out as bigger pieces of garbage than others.

Hopefully the messages to the fans from the players is over and they actually show up and collectively win a football game or 3.

I chose the o-line but I'd have to say it's a combination of QB and O-line. They're both guilty. The O-line keeps talking about 'run the ball, run the ball!' Then why the hell is CP having to dodge defenders in the backfield? Shut it and knock someone on their ass. Then the coaches will start running the ball more.

Well your answer would be...

this whole offense. Nothing, or anybody inparticular can be held accountable.

The whole offensive side of the ball is trying to adapt to a new offense. The QB is struggling all the while having decent stats. The WR's seem to be getting half of the catches as they were last year. Whether that be by way of dropping passes, play calling, or the QB's play. Portis is not running at will like he was last year. Why not? Could it be the new offense?

Or could it be the offensive line?? I'll go for a combination of the two, actually. But I cant help but notice CP never has a hole to run through and Brunell never has a pocket to step into.

I said the offensive line, though QB is a close 2nd. The o-line has been terrible in both their pulls and their straight on blocks. We have been making a ton of mental mistakes and I beleive we are the most penalized team in the league thanks in no small part to this offensive line.

Brunell has played badly on 3rd down especially 3rd down and 6+ yards to go. I think his throws in those situations are too rushed in getting to the checkdown when he does have time, and when he doesnt rush himself he simply doesnt get rid of the football at all until its too late.

Despite this you have to ask yourself why our team was in a 3rd and long situation to begin with. Though Brunell does make stupid choices on 1st and 2nd downs often, the line blocks even worse on those downs. We started off last game against the worst rush defense in the NFL with a 3 and out. 2 pitiful runs for no yardage or negative yardage, a failed 3rd and long pass, and a punt.

The QB is to blame in many ways yes, but the heart of the problem is really our o-line play. I think this season Jansen and Rabach have been two of the worst starting linemen in the NFL the way they have played, Samuels was playing at the level of an average tackle not a pro-bowler, and IMO aside from a few mental errors Dockery and Thomas have played well enough, Thomas being the best of the bunch...

Though I must admit the worst part is our run blocking...our pass blocking looks worse than it is because we are forced to sit back and throw the ball when every game of the season we have been playing from behind...other O-Lines get the luxury of mixing things up.

Or could it be the offensive line?? I'll go for a combination of the two, actually. But I cant help but notice CP never has a hole to run through and Brunell never has a pocket to step into.

If I had to choose from the above choices, I would say offensive line as well.

But, last year, our O-Line was quite alright.

Now? They 'forgot' how to block and create holes for CP? I am just a tad skeptical. Makes me wonder if the new offense is the reason.

Last year the OL got help from an extra TE and a RB on a large % of the pass plays also and we rarely had 3 receivers, a TE and a RB out there looking for the ball to come their way.

I think our OL has been pretty average or worse since Gibbs came back. Bugel isn't any good and the players on the line are way overpaid considering 4 of them are average or worse. Thomas is the one who should be getting Pro Bowls.

I said the offensive line, though QB is a close 2nd. The o-line has been terrible in both their pulls and their straight on blocks. We have been making a ton of mental mistakes and I beleive we are the most penalized team in the league thanks in no small part to this offensive line.

Brunell has played badly on 3rd down especially 3rd down and 6+ yards to go. I think his throws in those situations are too rushed in getting to the checkdown when he does have time, and when he doesnt rush himself he simply doesnt get rid of the football at all until its too late.

Despite this you have to ask yourself why our team was in a 3rd and long situation to begin with. Though Brunell does make stupid choices on 1st and 2nd downs often, the line blocks even worse on those downs. We started off last game against the worst rush defense in the NFL with a 3 and out. 2 pitiful runs for no yardage or negative yardage, a failed 3rd and long pass, and a punt.

The QB is to blame in many ways yes, but the heart of the problem is really our o-line play. I think this season Jansen and Rabach have been two of the worst starting linemen in the NFL the way they have played, Samuels was playing at the level of an average tackle not a pro-bowler, and IMO aside from a few mental errors Dockery and Thomas have played well enough, Thomas being the best of the bunch...

Though I must admit the worst part is our run blocking...our pass blocking looks worse than it is because we are forced to sit back and throw the ball when every game of the season we have been playing from behind...other O-Lines get the luxury of mixing things up.

I think you are on to something about the run blocking....it hasn't been good at all.

But I think that the pass blocking has been worse in my opinion.

If I had to choose from the above choices, I would say offensive line as well.

But, last year, our O-Line was quite alright.

Now? They 'forgot' how to block and create holes for CP? I am just a tad skeptical. Makes me wonder if the new offense is the reason.

This poll is not about reason....it's just about who is failing us the most on offense from the player standpoint.

I, like many others would say it's the o-line mostly then the QB next. Sounds like you would also....so vote for the 0-line.

this poll says no coaches.

It is to see where people stand on whose to blame amongst the players.

I agree we might not have needed Al Saunders, but since he's here and it is his game plan, the poll askes given those realities who is failing the offense the most.

soooo...

vote or die. ;)

So how am I supposed to vote when I think that the coaches are the core of everyone's problem? :)

So how am I supposed to vote when I think that the coaches are the core of everyone's problem? :)

Look at who is executing the fundamentals of the game the best, or in this case the worst, in your opinion on every play. Come up to a conclusion about which unit is the most responsible...then vote accordinglly.

Look I definately think that coaching is a problem...the dicipilen is pretty poor. that's on the coaches....The fundamentals of blocking and tackling are pretty poor. That two is on the coaches. I'll agree they harbor a great deal, if not the most of the blame, but this poll is just about the players on field fundamental execution.

So you mean that they should run block even when Al Saunders calls for a pass play? :D

no, he means that they should play with leverage advantage. they should move their feet when pass blocking. They should start blocking someone, anyone when they pull on tres and traps in the open field. That's what he means.

I voted for QB because, per reasonable Offensive Line statistical analysis (and that's difficult to track) our O-Line is doing "ok".

We give up sacks about 5.4% of the time on passing plays. The league average is around 7%, so I have to give them credit for that.

Everybody who wants to argue the Oline is doing a "ok" uses this stat. The reason why we don't have that many sacks, when watching most games, is because of Brunell. Everyone wants to kill him for the dump offs, and quick passes, but at least it keeps us from getting sacked every passing down. Either that, or Brunell throws it away. Unbelievable. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one watching these games. Our Oline is playing horribly, especially when the opposing defense KNOWS it's a passing down.

The only time our Oline has looked good is when we established a running game, mixed up the playcalling extremely well, and opposing defensive lines couldn't necessarily go all out in rushing the passer since they didn't know what was coming.

I say QB mainly because we have 14 yr Vet that does not play like one. He has been around long enough to find the blitz before the snap and hot route a WR or tell the O-line how to adjust blocking at the line. If your O-line is blocking speed rushers, you take short drops and step up in the pocket. You dont throw check downs on 3rd and 8. You dont throw to a guy who is covered by 3 and 4 people. He has enough knowlege to help his O-line out. Not to let the O-line off the hook but look around the league and you can find many QBs who give their team a chance to win every week. You wonder why the O-line cant block on running plays? If you throw short and to the check down the entire game, the defense cheats up and there is no space to run. You think the play call is to throw short on 3rd and 8...I dont.

QB all day long. Stats are very deceiving for Brunell, we haven't thrown long and most of the passes have been dump offs. Yes, the O line are struggling (and I think the most overrated element on this team) but it all starts with the QB. Is JC the future or another Ramsey? Who knows, but I sure as hell want to find out.

I voted O-line because I watch all the games.

Note: I found it reassuring when Ray Brown also called the O-line out for every game except the Houston and Jax games. Huh.....imagine that. The O-line plays like **** and it makes everyone surrounding them look bad.....what a concept.

You'd be suprised on how many people don't know or forget that detail, especially when it's time to invest a little money in this team on an upgrade somewhere...

Archived