Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QB in Great Standing

MCruz1984

Look at what happened with Bledsoe in Dallas -

Had some good games, but also struggled. Lost his position when he made bad throws that resulted in INTs.

The only reason MB is still the starter is because he is trying to be "super-smart" by not throwing uncertain balls. He knows his job is not secure, and he wants to keep his starting position and salary as long as possible, regardless of the win/loss column. Why else, in so many games when it comes to the 4th Quarter would you not fire a couple shots downfield?

MB knows that when his INT numbers and incompletions start to rise, he will be benched for good - so he's making the safe plays, the dump-offs, screens, or just throwing the ball away rather than trying to make the play. He doesn't want to take any risk that might result in an INT or fumble, etc.

The bad part to this? MB's play doesn't change when the score does. When the 'Skins need inspired QB play and a leader to mount a comeback, MB instead chooses to keep his job, rather than give his team a shot to win the game. He doesn't care about wins or losses, he cares about keeping his job - to him, as long as he doesn't give Gibbs reason to bench him - he wins, no matter if the team loses.

This helps explain why the WRs and Portis are so frustrated. Portis can't get going because teams stack the box, knowing MB will not throw downfield. Receivers are trying to make moves and cuts to be in a position to make plays, only to get ignored in favor of a 5-yard dumpoff when its 3rd and 17. Just imagine how great our team would be if MB could consistently hit Moss, ARE or Lloyd in stride as they are streaking accross the middle or deep down the field? That's the kind of offense we should have, but MB doesn't want to take the risk because he knows his arm isn't great and he'll have some INTs.

I'll admit that MB is only one of many problems - but you have to look at the way he plays and the decisions he makes, especially when the team needs to try and mount a comeback. Imagine how frustrated you would feel on Defense when you fight to force a punt and then the offense doesn't take any chances, goes 3-and-out with a 17-point defecit and you have to go back out there and try and hold the other team.

Loyalty means nothing when your starting QB is more loyal to his job than to making his team competitive. We need a QB that is going to try to win GAMES, not his SALARY. If MB isn't willing to do that, then put in JC, who is dying for an opportunity.

My greatest fear = our star players get disgruntled, force a trade and become superstars in Dallas, Philly, or NJ Giants.

Very possible with Mark "no arm" Brunell. I don't think he has it anymore until he shows me!!!

Yeah its simple...If the recievers were not good runners after the catch ...his numbers would be more in the toilet!![/Q

thats for sure

If i was Danny Snyder...Show the arm or forget the money...that's what I would say...He also has to be tired of this...

Business mans Point of veiw.....losing games is like dropping stocks ...Change directions or lose the money!!:eaglesuck :gaintsuck Sorry ...dislike The pukes to even display a D' sucks sign

What's second off?

Reading is fundamental.

So you agree with me then...all his dumpoffs should amplify his greatness....

Only if it gives you win's. It's pretty obvious that dumpoffs is all his got left and everyone we play know's it, it suck's but that's the hand were dealt. Now if you wanna call his current skills greatness, then more power to ya.

....They should also not discredit MB success...What's good for the goose is good for the gander...no?

It's pretty hard to discredit success, but that depends on your definition of success. That goose has a few SB rings, how many does the gander have?

It's really simple. :)

I know what the splits are. My post was a little bit of the ole tongue in cheek, hence the :laugh: at the end of it.

I'm just busting Ghost some because we've argued about this topic for about three years now. Sad thing is, it never really gets old.

Trust me, I wish Brunell would throw down the field more. I have wasted my Sunday morning starbucks three weeks in a row because I walk out of the TV room and throw it at the dog, or whack it with the back of my hand when I get outside to light a smoke.

Brunell pisses me off plenty, I just see other aspects of the offense that contribute to us sucking, too, i.e. protection breaking down too soon.

Hey you know i'm going to defend Mark Brunell! I haven't seen anybody else this year even come CLOSE to doing a better job than him. Preaseason showed me plenty. Of both backups that played in preseason, I think Todd Collins did a far better job than JC. But guess what-- MB is our man right now, he's who the coaches feel most comfortable with, so of course I will support him!

im curious i cant find it anywhere to compare brunell's passing yards minus the sum of the receptions YAC and compare that to the QB around the nfl

Here:

Here are the numbers for the top 21 passing yard qbs in the league:

Yards Passing - Yards After Catch = Yards Ball Traveled In The Air.

Donovan McNabb 2162 - 966 = 1196

Jon Kitna 1853 - 926 = 927

Peyton Manning 1620 - 480 = 1140

Marc Bulger 1619 - 717 = 902

Jake Delhomme 1581 - 560 = 1021

Eli Manning 1518 - 463 = 1055

Drew Brees 1509 - 809 = 700

Brett Favre 1511 - 745 = 766

Mark Brunell 1465 - 864 = 601

Chad Pennington 1450 - 620 = 830

Carson Palmer 1418 - 470 = 948

Rex Grossman 1387 - 514 = 873

Phillip Rivers 1330 - 497 = 833

JP Losman 1314 - 601 = 713

Brad Johnson 1299 - 560 = 739

Alex Smith 1285 - 703 = 582

Matt Hassleback 1249 - 406 = 843

Tom Brady 1226 - 527 = 699

David Carr 1217 - 614 = 603

Charlie Frye 1188 - 625 = 563

Drew Bledsoe 1164 - 444 = 720

im curious i cant find it anywhere to compare brunell's passing yards minus the sum of the receptions YAC and compare that to the QB around the nfl

just an Idea

You must go to each reciever and take the total reception yards for the year stats for all recievers..add that all together....add up all the YAC catch stats for each reciever... subtract the total yards after the catch from the totall yards on receptions.. That's your Man brunell on the deference

If you actually take the time and read you'll see the following:

Passes thrown 41+: 1

Passes thrown 31-40: 6

Completions 21+ : 10

It's really simple. :)

Are you serious?

Brunell passes 21+ about as often as Kenny Wright gets toasted for 6. Once or twice a game.

Archived