Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it OK to root for any team?

Trippster

My question is if it's ok to root for any team you want, so long as you stick with them through thick and thin? I have a friend who is a Cowboys fan. He was born and raised in Wisconsin but started liking them because they were the frontrunners when he was a kid. He's never even been to Texas, but he thinks he can give me **** everytime the Cowboys beat the Redskins. Is this allowable to just pick a team or should you only root for the team from your hometown?

I think you can pick your favorite team from anywhere, just as long as you always stay with your team..And never switch teams.

That's exactly right. Lots of people don't live anywhere near a team. I was lucky enough to grow up in Nova so the skins were a natural for me, but I have a lot of friends out here who have picked a team just cause. As long as you stick with the team there's no problem.

I don't think you have to root for the home team but you should try to stay loyal to a team. That's the whole fun of it -- having good years, then lean years, then good years again...

There are tons of reasons to root for someone other than the home team -- having a relative play for a team, knowing or having met someone from a team, having a crush on a player :) , etc.

The official ruling on this question is here:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/020227

Loyalties

18. If you live in a city that has fielded a professional team since your formative years, you have to root for that team. None of this, "The Bengals weren't very good when I was growing up in Cincy, so I became a Cowboys fan" crap.

Also, you can't start rooting for a team, back off when they're in a down cycle, then renew the relationship once the team starts winning again. All those Cowboys fans who jumped off the bandwagon in the late-'80s, jumped back on during the Emmitt/Aikman Era, then jumped back off in the late-'90s ... you know who you are. You shouldn't even be allowed out in public.

You are required to root for the home team under almost all circumstances.(There's nothing worse than a Bandwagon Jumper. If sports were a prison and sports fans made up all the prisoners, the Bandwagon Jumpers would be like the child molesters -- everyone else would pick on them, take turns beating them up and force them to toss more salads than Emeril Lagasse.)

The official ruling on this question is here:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/020227

Loyalties

18. If you live in a city that has fielded a professional team since your formative years, you have to root for that team. None of this, "The Bengals weren't very good when I was growing up in Cincy, so I became a Cowboys fan" crap.

Also, you can't start rooting for a team, back off when they're in a down cycle, then renew the relationship once the team starts winning again. All those Cowboys fans who jumped off the bandwagon in the late-'80s, jumped back on during the Emmitt/Aikman Era, then jumped back off in the late-'90s ... you know who you are. You shouldn't even be allowed out in public.

You are required to root for the home team under almost all circumstances.(There's nothing worse than a Bandwagon Jumper. If sports were a prison and sports fans made up all the prisoners, the Bandwagon Jumpers would be like the child molesters -- everyone else would pick on them, take turns beating them up and force them to toss more salads than Emeril Lagasse.)

yea, I was thinking of that simmons article myself. For me, I lived in DC during the 80's and it is how I became a skins fan, my home is Boston and I am a Pats fan as well. For all other sports, I root for Boston teams, but I still have a place for the skins and especially for Gibbs.

yea, I was thinking of that simmons article myself. For me, I lived in DC during the 80's and it is how I became a skins fan, my home is Boston and I am a Pats fan as well. For all other sports, I root for Boston teams, but I still have a place for the skins and especially for Gibbs.

The judges will have to confer for a ruling on this. But, you should make every Dallas Cowboys fan in the DC-Metro area read this article! LOTS of good stuff in it!

My question is if it's ok to root for any team you want, so long as you stick with them through thick and thin? I have a friend who is a Cowboys fan. He was born and raised in Wisconsin but started liking them because they were the frontrunners when he was a kid. He's never even been to Texas, but he thinks he can give me **** everytime the Cowboys beat the Redskins. Is this allowable to just pick a team or should you only root for the team from your hometown?
ive been a cubs (and mild bears) fan since i was 6. i just went to chicago for the first time last year. i cant tellyou why i like the bears and cubs, but i can tell you this: i ****in hate the bulls!:)

Archived