Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Portis Says He'd Just Like to Give It a Good Run

EvoSkins

Portis Says He'd Just Like to Give It a Good Run

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, October 18, 2006; E01

Clinton Portis was ready to take on a heavy workload Sunday against Tennessee, but that chance never came. Instead of a straightforward power running game, the Washington Redskins went with a more diverse attack.

"How many times do you have to get to the point of saying, 'Put it on my shoulders?' " Portis said. "If you know what I'm capable of, you know I'm on your team. If you go over our roster, you know people are going to look and say, 'We've got to stop Portis.' Give them the opportunity to stop Portis."

Click on link for more

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/17/AR2006101701317_pf.html

Best highlight of the article:

Over his career, Gibbs's Redskins are 120-19 when rushing more than 30 times in a game, and 22-61 when failing to do so.

Since Gibbs returned to the team in 2004, using Portis has been equally important. The Redskins are 10-1 when the team has more than 25 carries in a game since Gibbs ended his retirement.

Ride Portis until he can't run anymore. When he done, ride Betts. When hes done, guess what, ride Duckett, hes fresh.

I guarantee if the Skins rush for more than 30 times, they will win.

Ride Portis until he can't run anymore. When he done, ride Betts. When hes done, guess what, ride Duckett, hes fresh.

I guarantee if the Skins rush for more than 30 times, they will win.

I like this strategy. We have THREE runningbacks capable of carrying the load. Why can't we let them.

I like this strategy. We have THREE runningbacks capable of carrying the load. Why can't we let them.

And this week we just happen to be playing one of the worst rush defenses in the league....I hope we can really take adavantage of this matchup and run all over Indy.

And this week we just happen to be playing one of the worst rush defenses in the league....I hope we can really take adavantage of this matchup and run all over Indy.

What do you think that the Titans have a good rushing defense no.Hell before we played them they gave up back to back 150 yd rushing games.Yet we did not run the ball.

"The Redskins are 10-1 when the team has more than 25 carries in a game since Gibbs ended his retirement."

Does this mean in the 38 regular season games since Gibbs has come back, we have only rushed the ball +25 times in 11 games? It's kinda confusing to me. Seems like we run more than that. And I do agree we gotta run Portis more.

"The Redskins are 10-1 when the team has more than 25 carries in a game since Gibbs ended his retirement."

Does this mean in the 38 regular season games since Gibbs has come back, we have only rushed the ball +25 times in 11 games? It's kinda confusing to me. Seems like we run more than that. And I do agree we gotta run Portis more.

I think it probably means 25 rushes for the any particular runningback.

Why didn't we run more? Because we weren't able to pick up first downs.

Also, they really seemed to be stuffing the run in the second half. There wasn't much there.

Jason

Portis got like 6 carries in the second half.So how can you say the run was not there.Im sorry 6 runs for 2 quaters is not good.

quit reaching icon13.gif

How is this reaching, this isnt the first time that he has reacted to something and rubbed gibbs the wrong way is it. Also look at his past in Denver.

You saw what happened with LaVar and the Skins, like LaVar, Portis is emotional, and outspoken to an extent.

Do I want this to happen, no, but can I see something happening if we keep struggling and Portis not getting what he believes is satisfactory to him, yes.

I love Portis but if he wants the ball he needs to man up and stop leaving the game every other play. Seriously, how is he suppose to get carries when he's not even on the field?

What are you talking about? He doesn't leave every other play, plus isn't it the coaches desicion who goes in and out of the game?

based on what?

Sorry it took so long to reply, I wanted to make sure I got my facts straight first.

What i said was based on his history. Based on how he reacts when he is not happy. It might be 2 different things that he is not happy about, but the same emotion is there.

When in Denver, he was not happy about the contract situation, he got verbal in public, and eventually led to him being traded here.

When Portis got injured, he was not happy with the injury and how it happened. He blamed about being played, about how he had no business playing in that game. Gibbs or Saunders must of thought that it was important to get him carries.

I believe it was a month ago, about the Dallas game, there was differences in between what Gibbs was saying about Clintons health, and what Clinton was saying to the media. Both Portis and Gibbs made this public in the media, but the point is, he was not happy.

It brings to this, he is not happy right now, and when he is not happy, be tends to put things out in the open, the same way Arrington made all his unhappiness.

I am not saying that its going to happen, I'm just saying, I can see it happening.

How is this reaching, this isnt the first time that he has reacted to something and rubbed gibbs the wrong way is it. Also look at his past in Denver.

You saw what happened with LaVar and the Skins, like LaVar, Portis is emotional, and outspoken to an extent.

Do I want this to happen, no, but can I see something happening if we keep struggling and Portis not getting what he believes is satisfactory to him, yes.

Gibbs dealt with Gary Clark having tantrums on the sideline when he didn't get the ball. I think Gibbs/Saunders will just get him the ball more.

Gibbs dealt with Gary Clark having tantrums on the sideline when he didn't get the ball. I think Gibbs/Saunders will just get him the ball more.

Agreed, but Clarks tantrums was on the sideline, where Portis is very outspoken in the media, and you know the media is alot different then it was in late 80's early 90's when Clark played.

But I also can see it from this view. Jimmy Johnson said you treat your superstars different from your regular players, and this might be one of those treatments where if you are Gibbs, you put up with the ranting, as long as he produces.

Archived