Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Man Up and trade Duckett today" thread

TC

If they had traded him for a 5th rounder this would be a lot easier to swallow. But a third? You can get a starter in that round and the worst part about this is it's feasible that neither Betts or Duckett will be here next year. If that happens we essentially lose three players.

Our front office has two problems: (1) they're incompetent, and (2) they're arrogant. They panicked traded a 3rd round pick for a backup running back in the last year of his contract. So now they couldn't possibly get a 3rd rounder for him, because he wasn't worth it in the first place. Here's where the arrogance comes in: if they cared more about the team than their own egos, they'd trade Duckett for anything they could get. A 7th round pick is better than what they'll get in the offseason: nothing.

But trading him for a 7th would be admitting to the world that they're incompetent, and they'll never do that -- even if it was the right thing for the team.

Well, if Portis ended up being out an extended time (and that can still happen), would you be happy with Betts and Rock being our running back tandem? I don't think the front office was comfortable with that, so that's why the trade happened.

And I'm sorry, but a 7th round pick doesn't help the team this year. Duckett on this team is worth more than a 7th round pick next year, especially if one of our backs goes down.

Also, as I said, I'm pretty sure they made the trade with the intention of resigning him. The fact that it is pretty much a no confidence vote in Betts being the main guy lets me know that Betts is probably gone after this year.

Jason

come on guys...PLEASE JUST STOP. he will NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT re-sign with this team.

he is a FA this summer and will be gone.

You know something we don't?

It is a long season and a lot can happen. If the FO can give assurances that he's going to be the guy behind Portis, and that Betts isn't going to be resigned, I could see him staying. I mean, Saunders has had great success with backs just like him. He might not get a better offer elsewhere, considering that he has never proven that he can be the man.

Jason

If Portis goes down later this year with an injury, Duckett will be a steal and have the ability to prove his worth.

I think the Skins will try and re-sign him in the offseason but they likely wont be able to.

Either way, I think we will be searching for a new #2 back next year.

The reason Duckett hasnt been dressing for games is that Rock has taken over Ladells spot returning kicks. It makes no sense to dress more than 3 RBs for one game.

The trade was a bad move because Duckett is not a good PLAYER. I've posted the stats before, but you can to go to CNN or many other web sites and look at them yourself. His yards/carry have decreased every year he has played. He only avg 3.1 yards/carry last year, while Dunn avg over 5 playing behind the same OL. He tiptoes to the line like Herschel Walker used to so he uses alot of carries for negative yards (his yards loss/carry is more than Rocks last year), he isn't a threat of the back field, and he does not play special teams. He was traded by Atlanta because they were going to demote him to 3rd string anyway, and if we had not traded for him, they probably would have ended up cutting him. Nobody will even give us 7th round pick for him, and he will probably sign a vet minimium contract with somebody and be 3rd on the depth chart unless we are stupid enough to give him a bigger contract.

p.s. you can't just stick a guy on the bench for 10 minutes and then expect to have him go in and perform. If you did make a short distance back, he'd get 3 carries a game and he'd be bad it, but so would a good big back, and he's not good.

And I dont feel bad for the guy. He'll get his chance to shine this year or next.

If he doesnt get the multiyear contract he thinks he deserves in the offseason, a short term contract will suffice.

Ultimately its not the Redskins responsibility to provide Duckett a chance for a larger contract. It is Ducketts responsibility to live up to his current contract and function in whatever role the coaches ask him to.

Spare me the wine and cheese for the guy. There is plenty of film of him in ATL and he wouldnt be getting the playing time there anyway with Norwood in town.

I for one feel bad for Duckett. I'm not even going to begin to try to understand why we traded a third rounder for a "benchwarmer" (I know, he's "insurance" for Portis...save me the routine). I would personally like to see him play in front of Betts, and would rather have him than Betts on the roster if I had to choose. However, that's not the point at the moment.

The fact of the matter is that what the Skins are doing to this guy is totally unethical. He's in a contract year and the Skins organization is killing his market value right now. He's been nothing if not understanding and I have been impressed by his calm demeanor during all that has gone on. We need to trade him today unless we have some super secret plan to keep him instead of Betts on the roster for next year. It's not right to keep sitting him.

For those that don't know...today is the trade deadline, hence the thread title.

I hear you and I am sure they are fielding offers, but I don't think there is any market for him. By the way Cerratto sucks!!!!

Atlanta would take Duckett back on their team RIGHT NOW if they only had to give up a 6th or 7th round pick for him.

They can't run the ball inside the 10 for TD's...in fact...they have YET to have a RB run for a TD in the red zone ALL SEASON...they have been forced to playfake and have Vick run the ball in...or have him throw it...see 99YD INT for TD earlier in the season.

It isn't THAT easy to just run into the pile and FALL into the endzone down inside the 5.

Simple as that.

FREE TJ DUCKETT!!!

That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen posted. If the Skins wanted him for depth in 2007, they could have waiting until the offseason and signed him -- he'll be a free agent. They have NO advantage in signing him for 2007 just because they gave up a 3rd round pick for him now. They wasted a 3rd round draft pick, pure and simple.

As usual, you couple nonsensical arguments with childish attacks -- is that because you're not bright enough to see the truth? You're completely out of your depth here. As usual.

Out of my depth, huh? You're the one that lost the bet after your winded diatribe on how Doughty wouldn't make the team. No wonder you're always MAD. :laugh: I've never lost a bet here in 5 years at Extremeskins.

I would be willing to bet you again that Duckett signs with the Redskins for 2007 -- but no -- I'm through betting with amateurs. :laugh: So whats the point? You would be shown to be publicly humiliated again and would really be MAD then. :laugh:

You can't trade Betts because then you have no 3rd down back. Please, think before you post.

Of course you do. You leave Portis on the field as the 3rd down back. He is a much better pass blocker than Betts and can actually do more as a downfield receiver than Betts can by catching screen passes.

Archived