Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Man Up and trade Duckett today" thread

TC

I for one feel bad for Duckett. I'm not even going to begin to try to understand why we traded a third rounder for a "benchwarmer" (I know, he's "insurance" for Portis...save me the routine). I would personally like to see him play in front of Betts, and would rather have him than Betts on the roster if I had to choose. However, that's not the point at the moment.

The fact of the matter is that what the Skins are doing to this guy is totally unethical. He's in a contract year and the Skins organization is killing his market value right now. He's been nothing if not understanding and I have been impressed by his calm demeanor during all that has gone on. We need to trade him today unless we have some super secret plan to keep him instead of Betts on the roster for next year. It's not right to keep sitting him.

For those that don't know...today is the trade deadline, hence the thread title.

Our front office has two problems: (1) they're incompetent, and (2) they're arrogant. They panicked traded a 3rd round pick for a backup running back in the last year of his contract. So now they couldn't possibly get a 3rd rounder for him, because he wasn't worth it in the first place. Here's where the arrogance comes in: if they cared more about the team than their own egos, they'd trade Duckett for anything they could get. A 7th round pick is better than what they'll get in the offseason: nothing.

But trading him for a 7th would be admitting to the world that they're incompetent, and they'll never do that -- even if it was the right thing for the team.

I'd be for that. We really shafted him. Given all the poor decisions that the front office has been making, it makes this trade look even worse. This team needs to shake things up very soon. Bringing in novak and vincent is not nearly enough. Whether it's making a trade, or putting in Campbell and McIntosh, things have to change now.

I think we should boycott the team until Gibbs moves him up on the depth chart.

:laugh: /sarcasm

I won't cry myself to sleep or anything if the guy doesn't get traded or even play, but I do think the right thing to do is give him a chance to play elsewhere. Especially if we're just going to keep him on the bench and then lose him at the end of the year.

As I think about it i'm not sure why a team would try to trade for him right now unless they are extremely desperate for a running back. The reason why I say that is because all teams have to do is wait for the end of the season and then snatch him up in free agency. He's in the last year of his contract, so all teams have to do is wait him out and then sign him in March, with out having to give up anything. I understand the Skins intentions when they first did the trade, but it was a bad move for both sides. They should have just picked up a RB from off of someones practice squad or something.

I feel terrible for the guy and cant believe he hasnt lashed out yet. I mean could you blame him for being upset and complaining for coming to a team and just riding the bench. The dude needs to play or they need to trade him its as simple as that. I will never understand this trade but hell maybe it will all make sense someday.

My guess is we'll trade him for a 5th round draft pick, essentially making it us giving up a 3rd rounder and getting a 5th rounder in return.

It would be fantastic if we got a 5th rounder for him. My guess is we'll keep him, and he'll leave in the offseason, and we'll get nothing for him.

Have to agree....I believe he wa ssigned for insurance to CP as the severity of his shoulder injury was not known.........now we have him and CP is OK.........

Why not put him in on short YDG......CP doesnt need to take the beating up the middle on 3rd & 1 or 2......I dont understand it.

Our front office has two problems: (1) they're incompetent, and (2) they're arrogant. They panicked traded a 3rd round pick for a backup running back in the last year of his contract. So now they couldn't possibly get a 3rd rounder for him, because he wasn't worth it in the first place. Here's where the arrogance comes in: if they cared more about the team than their own egos, they'd trade Duckett for anything they could get. A 7th round pick is better than what they'll get in the offseason: nothing.

But trading him for a 7th would be admitting to the world that they're incompetent, and they'll never do that -- even if it was the right thing for the team.

As usual Mr. Madd, you don't know what you are talking about [i guess that's why you're always mad. :laugh:] You welched on the bet you lost to me, but what else is new. :laugh:

The Redskins made a good trade for Duckett who provides great depth for 2007, because the Skins will re-sign him for 2007 before he becomes a free agent. Ladell Betts is the back that will probably leave.

Wanta bet? Nah, what's the point of betting with you again. Keep taking your meds though. :paranoid:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169021

You're absolutley right. It was a panic move. The Skins make a lot of those. They did the same thing trading up for Rocky. They panicked when there was a run on LBs and they gave up next years 2nd rd pick to move up. Stupid throwing away draft picks they don't have to. I'd love to play poker against Gibbs and Cerrato. Easy money.

As usual Mr. Madd, you don't know what you are talking about [i guess that's why you're always mad. :laugh:] You welched on the bet you lost to me, but what else is new. :laugh:

The Redskins made a good trade for Duckett who provides great depth for 2007, because the Skins will re-sign him for 2007 before he becomes a free agent. Ladell Betts is the back that will probably leave.

Wanta bet? Nah, what's the point of betting with you again. Keep taking your meds though. :paranoid:

YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND!!!!

Why does everyone think duckett will come back to a team that won't even give him a shot!!!!

He is a FA this summer and will go to the highest bidder and/or the team that will give him a shot to PLAY FOOTBALL...and not stand on the bench...waiting for NOTHING!!!

Please. Duckett's not going to stay and play 2nd fiddle to Portis. The only way he will is if the Skins pay him starter money, which would be a dumb thing to do. They're already paying all these WRs big money and can't get them the ball. Plus they have to get Cooley re-signed.

As usual Mr. Madd, you don't know what you are talking about [i guess that's why you're always mad. :laugh:]

The Redskins made a good trade for Duckett who provides great depth for 2007, because the Skins will re-sign him for 2007 before he becomes a free agent. Ladell Betts is the back that will probably leave. [/url]

That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen posted. If the Skins wanted him for depth in 2007, they could have waiting until the offseason and signed him -- he'll be a free agent. They have NO advantage in signing him for 2007 just because they gave up a 3rd round pick for him now. They wasted a 3rd round draft pick, pure and simple.

As usual, you couple nonsensical arguments with childish attacks -- is that because you're not bright enough to see the truth? You're completely out of your depth here. As usual.

And I'm happy to admit that you were right that Reed Doughty did make the roster. Unfortunately for the Redskins, that's a clear sign of how thin the defensive backfield is -- our Achilles Heel. So you were right on the bet, to the great detriment of the Skins.

So, you want to follow up a bad trade with a worse one? :doh:

Fact is, we are pretty much stuck with him, which isn't a bad thing. Personally, I have a feeling the front office will be trying hard to resign him in the offseason, since I think the intention was to have him replace Betts eventually.

Otherwise, I really didn't see the point in the trade in the first place, even as insurance. The only thing that made sense to me was that they intend him to stick around more than just this year.

Jason

So, you want to follow up a bad trade with a worse one? :doh:

Fact is, we are pretty much stuck with him, which isn't a bad thing. Personally, I have a feeling the front office will be trying hard to resign him in the offseason, since I think the intention was to have him replace Betts eventually.

Otherwise, I really didn't see the point in the trade in the first place, even as insurance. The only thing that made sense to me was that they intend him to stick around more than just this year.

Jason

come on guys...PLEASE JUST STOP. he will NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT re-sign with this team.

he is a FA this summer and will be gone.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Betts traded today. So, maybe Duckett finally sees some playing time & the field.

What? If the Skins were planning to trade Betts, the would have featured hiim. If the were planning on playing Duckett, they would have... you know... PLAYED HIM. The guy doesn't even dress for games. He's not in their plans.

Archived