Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where the hell is our defense? (ugh-defense bad! mega merge)

SkinFan63

Hey fellow fans.

I don't start many threads but after watching the humiliation of todays game against an 0-5 team with a ROOKIE QB, I just had to chime in.

There's alot of problems with our new multi-trillion dollar team, as I know and have read thru all of the posts here, but the glaring problem is our defense.....huh, I mean lack of.

There were some plays towards the end of the game I highly disagree with and Brunell's two misguided passes, but where the hell is our defense?

How did we go from the #10/11 defense in the NFL last year to like #28?

And no, it hasn't been the lack of Shawn Springs.

One man does not a defense make.

Even in our two wins this season, our defense SUCKED!

To let an 0-5 team come into our house with a rookie QB and run up 25 points against us is beyond humiliating.

It's pathetic!

Is it Williams?

Lack of effort?

What the hell happened to our in-your-face D that was swatting down balls, harassing QB's and picking off passes last year?

I'm at a total loss here.

Anyone here have the answer?

When was the last time you saw a Redskins defensive play this year and said - wow, what a great play. I can't think of one. GW is just not running the right schemes. Last year during our run, we were blitzing like crazy and generating turnovers and at least taking teams out of their game plan. GW says he doesn't want to blitz because of our secondary - so how in the hell does he think our secondary can cover people for 15 seconds which is what every QB seems to have since we have no rush.

Our D now takes no risks and consequently makes no plays. Against the Titans of all teams, we should have been putting 8 in the box and blitzing Young every chance, make him beat you with a big throw. If he does a couple of times, then maybe back off, but at least take him out of his comfort zone.

I haven't a clue. Our pass defense was suffering without Springs. Our run defense had actually been stout before the Titans game. With Griffin gone and Salave'a out our rush defense suffered. Golston and Montgomery had down well especially Golston thus far but they are rookies and they just didn't do the job that Griffin and Salave'a would have.

When was the last time you saw a Redskins defensive play this year and said - wow, what a great play. I can't think of one. GW is just not running the right schemes. Last year during our run, we were blitzing like crazy and generating turnovers and at least taking teams out of their game plan. GW says he doesn't want to blitz because of our secondary - so how in the hell does he think our secondary can cover people for 15 seconds which is what every QB seems to have since we have no rush.

Our D now takes no risks and consequently makes no plays. Against the Titans of all teams, we should have been putting 8 in the box and blitzing Young every chance, make him beat you with a big throw. If he does a couple of times, then maybe back off, but at least take him out of his comfort zone.

Simply put:

NO!

I think our secondary is just plain bad. When our D-Line wasn't getting any pressure, that was our excuse. But when our D-Line was getting pressure (Jacksonville and today), Vince Young (a rookie who's supposedly "dumb") is still able to pick it apart.

Hmm, kind of miss Smoot, even if he did get raped by Keyshawn and Bryant twice a year...

I think we're missing Springs, and like it or not LaVar was probably popular in the locker room. I wouldn't be surprised if some of our guys are pissed at the ownership about the way that was handled. He was a heck of a football player. Right now I think we only really have one Pro-bowler on D (Sean Taylor) and they're avoiding him pretty well.

our defense is a embarrasment,never would i have thought we would be this bad with the talent and coaching we have...greg williams has just about lost his edge with this defense..gregs 1st 2 years when somebody went down he was plugging in just about anybody and the defense kept rolling,and i was impressed as hell with that..it was shocking to see him do that..but them days are over,this guy has lost the magic or whatever..this defense plays with no confidence or swagger anymore and it starts with the coach... :mad:

It certainly is not on the field at FedEx field or any other field for that fact! Warric Holdman SUCKS! and should be benched he cant stop his own runs in his shorts if he took a whole box of FLIPPIN' "IMMODIUM AD" bench his ass!

It doesn't help that we don't have any D-Tackle's either! Humm! Crapp! When is Dallas showing up again?

Thanks,Matt

No they haven't. Our defense is simply awful. It's funny hearing all the Brunell haters calling for his head when our defense is the reason we're losing these games. We couldn't stop Henry when we KNEW he would be running it. Our tackling is pathetic. Opposing offenses grind the clock, etc., etc., etc. When, not if, we lose to Indy, this season is officially over.

The pass coverage has been horrible. I watched this game closely and here is what I saw from the pass coverage. Rogers and Wright mostly but Holdman as well when he was in coverage play so far off any receiver that Vince Young had his choice of underneath routes all day. There was no press coverage at all except on 2 plays that were both heavy blitzes. When you play almost 10 yards off of a receiver there are 2 possible outcomes...

1. Receiver is open underneath, cathces the ball takes 2 steps and it's a minimum 8 yard play.

2. Corner backpedals...reciver builds up 10 yards of speed and goes right by the corner who has no chance, once he is turned around he is too far behind the reciver to make a play on he player or the ball. This was the case on every pass play that Tennesse had today on Offense. For tose of you who Tivo or DVR go back and watch it, this is what you will see. There was ZERO contact with any receiver coming off of the line. I think this is why they can't blitz. The only succesful blitzes came on the 2 plays where the corners jammed the receivers at the line. No quickly open receiver + blitz works. Every other pass play burned the D.

Stopping the Run... Hey the guys up front did well for Rookies. The real problem is Tackling. Washington, Marshall, and Taylor seem to be the only guys that have arms able to wrap up anybody.

Archived