Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taylor in coverage

mistertim

that was a broken play on defense and lemar marshall ended up on him. You really can't put that on Taylor. Taylor almost made a hell of a play cuz he had to run across the whole field to get to glenn.

Marshall was not in man coverage with Terry Glenn. ST had the deep zone and got exploited.

A couple deeps plays on Sean Taylor and now he's no good anymore? Jeez, tough crowd.

Everybody gets beat once in a while. Chalk it up to probability. He has not regressed in his pass coverage abililty. This happens to the best of 'em. He'll bounce back, like all elite players will after a rough stretch like he's had.

A couple deeps plays on Sean Taylor and now he's no good anymore? Jeez, tough crowd.

Everybody gets beat once in a while. Chalk it up to probability. He has not regressed in his pass coverage abililty. This happens to the best of 'em. He'll bounce back, like all elite players will after a rough stretch like he's had.

I never said ST is no good anymore but he's not been as solid as the past two years. He's the last man standing, so to speak, in our defense. We've had more big pass plays on us than any other team in the league so, yes, I hold him partially responsible for that disgusting stat.

Like many other's have said in this thread, he's having to do more because of the crappy people back there in the secondary with him. Taylor is really pretty good in coverage. Yes, he's a bigger hitter than a cover guy, but that doesn't mean that he can't cover... he just excels in the physical aspects of the game.

Any safety would look better with Smoot and Springs or Springs and Rogers than with the group we have back there now. I'd like to see Polamalu, E. Reed or Roy Williams having to play back there with Wright, Rogers, Archuleta and the rest of those clowns. They wouldn't be doing as good as Taylor, IMO. We'll never know for sure, but I bet that is the case. All three of those other players have a very good pass rush up in front of them and good corners taking care of things around them in the secondary. Imagine if Taylor had those aspects... he'd be a monster.

As it is, he's having to play with people who don't even belong in the NFL IMO. Wright and Rumph ought to be bagging groceries somewhere, and Archuleta should be a situational player instead of one of the highest paid safeties in the NFL. :doh:

Rogers is at best a decent nickel corner (maybe a FS?), and half of the defensive linemen up front should be doing something other than playing pro football. Washington is a damn good OLB, Marshal is an average at best MLB and Holdman should be a special teams player only.

Try surrounding Reed, Williams and Polamalu with those players and see if they're setting the world on fire. Dallas has three very good corners and Williams is still getting beat deep.

No, the problem isn't Taylor. The problem is that we have only like 3 good players on defense (Taylor, Griffin, Washington) and the rest of those clowns are just horrible.

Taylor is the least of our worries. As a matter of fact, if he can grow up just a little more and we can somehow do a 180 and start getting good players... I think Taylor could one day end up in the Hall of Fame. He's that talented.

Seems to me like he's either getting manned up or playing zone more this year and doing less roaming, where he excels. When the corner play was better he could just play centerfield in a cover 1 defense and ballhawk/light people up. He also might not have the cohesiveness with the new guys yet to trust where they are going to be and ending up trying too hard or thinking too much.

my :2cents:

We have a winner! :thumbsup:

I couldn't agree more. Now it seems that Taylor is playing a part he is not comfortable with at all. I only hope that with the return of Springs we will see this change. I was never a HUGE fan of Springs, always believeing him to be an excellent corner, but never believing that his absense could effect this team so much. In my heart I know Taylor and AA are better players than this season has shown. They have both made great plays this season and also got lit up because they were trying to freelance + cover too much field to compensate for the Defenses called. Here's to seeing a whole new team when Springs gets back on the field! :cheers:

Im not totally in agreement with you but most of your points are very valid. However CR did a fine job in the #2 corner slot and he has potential to be a very good CB. The pass rush however is atrocious and thats leading to QBs exploiting our defense cause they have WAY too much time to throw the ball. Any starting QB in the league could pick apart our secondary with that kinda time. SS is a leader on our defense when we get him back he will lead by example causing everyone elses game to step up including ST's. i seriously think hes the difference maker on the defense. GW will feel free to run a lot more blitzes knowing that Springs is back there to cover and ST can play more of a roaming FS role which he excels at.

Ok maybe this is just me...

But I was watching some highlights from ST's rookie season and he seems to actually be very good in coverage...a decent amount of INTs, lots of tight one on one disruptions and dropped balls. Perhaps it is just because its highlights; I don't remember all the plays from all of the 04-05 season games. However it seems to me like his coverage skills have dropped off, especially this season. Is it the defense as a whole or do you think he has lost something along the way? I always figured his coverage problems so far were because our CBs weren't doing their jobs, but looking back it seems like he doesn't have as much concentration or drive. Thoughts?

Its seems as if his skills have diminished, but the guy is covering from sideline to sideline to help the 3 bums we have at corner.

We have a bunch of NFL Europe nickelback's on the field, so he will be definitely out of position a lot.

Archived