Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

what happens when Matthews stinks it up??

Golgo-13

My guess is Wuerffel will find a way to sneak back into the mix. Of course, Wuerffel isn't ready to play even now with that shoulder so, there's a couple of weeks of reprieve here. If we lose both, Ramsey will be brought back in and we'll play out the season with him.

If we win both or split, Ramsey probably gets the second most reps at practice, but, is really the third string QB until we're back out of it. But, that's simply a guess and anyone else may have one as good as mine.

Considering the teams we have just played, our schedule is about to get much softer. After this week, only 1 team with a winning record (Philly). Compared to 5, in the 6 games we just played.

Who knows, maybe Matthews doesn't stink up the joint too bad...

Not sure if it's "inevitable".

hey, with McCants and Betts on the field ANY quarterback in the NFL is going to be successful :silly:

seriously, with the schedule lightening up the Redskins will look better as they start to face teams that have deep flaws just as they do.

but if Matthews does play well over the next few weeks it won't convince me that the decision to bench Ramsey was the correct one because Ramsey was thrown to the sharks, having to start two games against 6-1 clubs.

Where Matthews faced similar competition against the Eagles and 49ers he stunk as well :)

If Matthews really shines and we win a few, I'll be PISSED that he wasn't playing in the NO and GB games. Both games I feel we had legit chances to win. A few less turnovers, and even with the sloppy play, we would've been close.

If we look back on the season and are sitting there 9-7 and one game out of the wildcard it'll just be another feather in what's shaping up to be one ugly Redskins cap.

Ramsey should get in there from time to time to get some experience but for the most part he should be on the sidelines holding a clipboard. In this, the era of salary caps, its hard to sit a first round rookie QB for a season because the team will get no bang for the buck but that cost has to be considered an investment in the teams future and endured. Playing him before he is ready is wrong minded. Unless Matthews is physically unable to perform keep him in there. Meanwhile groom Ramsey and let him compete for the starting job next year. If his skills are such that one thinks he needs to play now to see what he's got then he probably doesn't have it.

Mike,

To be fair, Matthews was never really an option for the New Orleans game. Ramsey had one of those glorious shining moments against Tennessee and he kind of had to play. He then struggled against New Orleans, but, when you can struggle and throw for 320 yards, you're living right sometimes :).

I think you had to start Ramsey under the conditions in those two games. Now, you could have pulled Ramsey, but, to me, once you started him you needed to let him play through it and see how he would respond to the situation. In all, I could see the merits of removing him from that Packers game, but, I think this type of replacement is something easier to grasp than being yanked in a game for Ramsey and Ramsey has spoken bluntly about the mistakes he made that he doesn't normally make against the Packers.

Art,

You have a point with the NO game. I guess I also really wonder about the Titans game. Did Weurffel really have to start there? Was Shane really that banged up or did SS just want to give him an opportunity and used Shane's shoulder as an excuse?

If he was truly banged up, then the only real game I could be disappointed in would be the Green Bay game. But it just seems like this stuff always happens with this team. They need a plan and need to be decisive and stick with it--whatever it is.

Archived