Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No Defense Without Springs

RedzoneHunter

Our defense can't blitz because Shawn Springs isn't playing. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? It is what it is folks. It sounds ridiculous because it is ridiculous. But I wonder how long it will take the coaching staff to figure out that this approach just is not working.

Granted, coverage won't be as tight without your best corner in there, but not putting preasure on the opposing quarterback will not help this situation. Anyone can get open if the quarterback has all day to throw, I don't care how good the corner is. If we put Shawn Springs in the game and didn't blitz, we would still be seeing the very same results.

I believe the coaches have blinded themselves to this fact, just because they got burned a few times when they did blitz, but that is just something that's going to happen from time to time, even with your best corner playing. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather get burned blitzing than by giving their quarterback all day to pick us apart. At least we would have half a chance.

And one more thing. It's hard to play center field with two strong safeties. Say what? Don't worry, I'll explain.....

We went out and got a good strong safety in Adam Archulleta this past off season. The trouble is, we really needed a good free safety, because in this league, from what I've seen, Sean Taylor would be a much better strong safety than he would a free safety. I know I'm gonna get a lot of flack for saying that, but he just can't cover. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's a bad player. It's just that he's playing out of position in this league. Maybe this is the real reason we don't want to blitz.

It's time to quit using Springs as an excuse. I, for one, don't buy it.

Fish ain't bitin'.

The problem is this: without our #1 corner GW wants to "protect" Rogers and the scrubs by leaving them with help. However, this help means nothing when our front four get zero pressure. I think we'd be much better off to play the way we used to, with or without springs. Send people, create havoc, BLITZ. If we give up big plays fine. It's not like that isn't happening ad nauseum already. Oh and Mr. Rogers...please stop giving slow-ass recievers an 8-10 yard cushion when playing man-up. Newsflash, you're damned athletic (agility drill times close to Deion ?) and players like Wilford are not even comparable to you.

Even if we get Spring back, who's to say that offenses won't just start picking on Rogers all day instead of the scrubs?

Well another problem is even when we do blitz, as pointed out in another thread, we don't disguise it. The QB spots it, makes some adjustments, like sending a WR deep and moving the RB to pick up the blitz, and it's game over. We aren't even getting pressure on the QB when we Do blitz. It's pretty ineffective right now.

I hope things change when Springs come back, but I'm not hopeful on the defensive side of the ball.

Our defense can't blitz because Shawn Springs isn't playing. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? It is what it is folks. It sounds ridiculous because it is ridiculous. But I wonder how long it will take the coaching staff to figure out that this approach just is not working.

Granted, coverage won't be as tight without your best corner in there, but not putting preasure on the opposing quarterback will not help this situation. Anyone can get open if the quarterback has all day to throw, I don't care how good the corner is. If we put Shawn Springs in the game and didn't blitz, we would still be seeing the very same results.

It's time to quit using Springs as an excuse. I, for one, don't buy it.

Fish ain't bitin'.

As someone pointed out in another thread, we didn't have Springs for the playoff game against Tampa last year, and our defense outscored our offense in that game.

The problem with our defense goes beyond Springs.

I am an Eagles fan so you can believe my opinion or not.

The Redskins would be a much better team w a heathy Shawn Springs. But the root of the problem w the Skins is that they have built a pretty strong roster of starters (thru free agency) but they have little depth.

The Redskins front line players are probably equal to or better than the Eagles (w the exception of McNabb). The Eagles 2nd line players (OL DL DB's WR's etc) are capable of stepping up and performing when needed. When Portis and Springs are nicked up the Redskins are in a world of hurt. As the season wears on this might become more obvious.

The Redskins would be a much better team w a heathy Shawn Springs. But the root of the problem w the Skins is that they have built a pretty strong roster of starters (thru free agency) but they have little depth.

The Redskins front line players are probably equal to or better than the Eagles (w the exception of McNabb). The Eagles 2nd line players (OL DL DB's WR's etc) are capable of stepping up and performing when needed. When Portis and Springs are nicked up the Redskins are in a world of hurt. As the season wears on this might become more obvious.

With the way your DL rotation performed last night, I can't really argue against you on this one.

Beating Dallas without your best DE (Kearse), nickel CB (Hood) and best WR (Stallworth) is very impressive.

I mostly agree. I dont disagree with what you said, I'm just kinda scared about the idea that when Springs comes back, what if we still blow?

I personally think our Defense will make GREAT strides. Imagine now the Carlos will have the experience of having stuck TO, a great wr, Andre Johnson and Troy Williamson, two FAST dudes respectively, Plaxico Burress, a tall monster. Then we'll have our Nickel Corners with far more experience. at 2-3, we gave our corners plenty of experience. PLUS, Taylor won't be the only guy with any coverage skills. Having Sean Springs should make him more comfortable roaming around.

Look, the secondary is weak. Teams like the Eagles, who have a pretty weak secondary, decide to pass rush like hell so their secondary doesn't have to cover for too long. Did you notice the single coverage on Glenn and TO yesterday? You can get away with that if you pressure the QB.

I think the problem with the Skins -- and the reason Gregg Williams has taken the cowardly path -- is that there's no one who can actually get after the QB, so committing an extra safety doesn't give that much extra.

There isn't a single real pass-rushing DE on the roster. So there's no one to double team -- and that safety doesn't find a lane. Blitzing isn't a cure-all.

Still, I'd rather blitz all the time and occassionally get burned than sit back and wait -- because we've seen that you get burned anyway.

Why does everyone make Springs sound like a Pro Bowl corner? He's a good corner, but he's still burnable when put 1 on 1 against the right receivers. Having him back in the secondary would help, but we shouldn't go blitz crazy just because we have a player (who hasn't played a full game in HOW long?) come back. The DL showed they can develop a pass rush against Jax....they just need to get motivated or something. Springs is not the cure for the defense. Everyone groaned about how missing CP was hurting the offense, and we had HOW many yards with him in the game?

Everyone groaned about how missing CP was hurting the offense, and we had HOW many yards with him in the game?

um, ARE YOU JOKING, with portis in the game we went 2-1 with a combined 966 yards and 70 points, without him on the other hand, we were 0-2 with 511 yards and 26 points. i think i see a HUGE difference there. he wasnt nearly as productive last week cause everybody knows brunell can only throw the ball 30 yards so they stuffed the box, dont go sayin portis didnt help the offense, cause without him, we'd prolly be 0-5.....yes a little off topic, but it needed to be said

This is the problem with dealing away your draft picks. I could understand it when you bring in a new coaching staff and need a quick fix in a couple of areas, but we do it year in and year out. We don't seem to understand that the league has changed since the days of Bobby Betherd.

Result = A house built on a shaky foundation. It looks good until the storm comes and knocks it down. Then the next year we re-build it the same way. In this salary cap era, dealing away your draft picks is like swimming against the tide.

we better get spring back, trade for someone or change the scheme. It just not working 3 HUGE pass plays will kill any team

Greg Williams schemes are either great or pathetic. Great when aggressive, pathetic when not aggressive.

As far as trades go, first we need our defensive coaches to realize that we don't yet have a legitimate free safety. Let's face it, Sean Taylor is a strong safety in free safeties clothing.

Also, it appears that Andre Carter was another reach, as was Archuleta. I was wanting Darren Howard since we couldn't afford John Abraham. So now we are stuck with an extra strong safety, no free safety and a mediocre DE, and instead of our defense improving it's gone the other direction. This brings me to another question:

Is there anyone home in our front office??

Archived