Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cb Springs Remains Doubtful

DaveP666

SPRINGS REMAINS DOUBTFUL...

Cornerback Shawn Springs is listed as doubtful for Sunday's game against the New York Giants.

Springs, who did not practice on Wednesday, continues to rehab from abdominal surgery last August and a groin injury sustained during practice on Sept. 27.

Asked about his status on Wednesday, Springs replied briefly: "I'm doing fine. I'm coming along."

Defensive tackle Joe Salave'a practiced on Wednesday and he appears set to return to action after missing the last two games due to a calf injury. He is listed as probable.

Defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin and offensive lineman Randy Thomas are also listed as probable. Griffin as a hip injury while Thomas has a hamstring injury.

Left guard Derrick Dockery was excused from practice on Wednesday due to a family matter.

---------------------------

From Redskins.com

:(

I don't think there is an accurate timetable for Springs return, as evidenced by the continued vague comments each week about his status...i.e. he's coming along, we're not going to rush him, etc.

I know one thing for sure, however. This quote directly from Springs in today's Washington Post Redskins Notebooks isn't too comforting:

"Gibbs said Springs's status remains unchanged. Springs hasn't played since the first preseason game Aug. 13 because of an abdominal tear. He has sounded alternately pessimistic and hopeful about his prospects. Yesterday, Springs was dour. "I want to see the statistics of guys who had a sports hernia and came back the same season," he said"

I'll tell you what...if there's a possibility that he's not going to play, the Skins need to seriously consider shipping Betts or Duckett somewhere before the trade deadline for another DB. I would prefer Betts goes, but all I know is that we need someone else who can make plays back there so whomever has the highest trade value should be the one.

I don't think there is an accurate timetable for Springs return, as evidenced by the continued vague comments each week about his status...i.e. he's coming along, we're not going to rush him, etc.

I know one thing for sure, however. This quote directly from Springs in today's Washington Post Redskins Notebooks isn't too comforting:

"I want to see the statistics of guys who had a sports hernia and came back the same season," he said"

I'll tell you what...if there's a possibility that he's not going to play, the Skins need to seriously consider shipping Betts or Duckett somewhere before the trade deadline for another DB. I would prefer Betts goes, but all I know is that we need someone else who can make plays back there so whomever has the highest trade value should be the one.

It certainly sounds like there is a real possibility that Springs will be out for the entire season. Given that the new CBs and Safeties haven't yet learned to play with each other I'm not sure a new CB would solve the problem. Skins didn't sign their 2 year starter safety and brought in Archuleta. He's having difficulty with pass protection (that shouldn't be a surprise since everyone in the league said he had that deficiency). But then we lost Prilieou.

But why does everyone talk about getting rid of Betts. He has a 4.8ypc average and is the 2nd leading receiver on the team. While he didn't get that 3rd and 1 the line didn't really block as well on that run either. Can Duckett catch the ball out of the backfield as well as Betts? The only reason to trade Betts IMO is to avoid admitting that the Skins made a mistake in trading for Duckett.

Cornerback Shawn Springs believes that Arrington will be trying to prove the Redskins wrong for dumping the former face of their franchise.

"LaVar will be out there ... saying, 'Y'all kinda threw me away and thought it was over for me so I'm going to try to hurt everybody,'" Springs said. "I know what his attitude is like: 'I'm going to go out there, try to be a wild man and mess everybody up. '"

This sucks for everyone, the team, Springs, the fans. Our secondary is in need of help. Rogers has been burned a few times already. Luckily, though, receivers have dropped passes or the ball has been overthrown. Wright looks like he starting to settle in a little, but the verdict is still out on Rumph.

Im just happy that big joe will back for this game. Even though Golston has played great so far, Big joe is an awsome run stuffer. It will be nice to see him back in there.

Personally, I dont think we will really need springs for the enxt two weeks. The giants recievers arnt any better than what we faced last week. And the titans are pretty self explanatory.

Might as well jut let him rest up for the colts game

Well, since we're all but giving up on the 2007 draft anyway, I still would love to see us trade our 1st rounder to Buffalo for Nate Clements. Perhaps if Buffalo loses a few more games and feels it needs to stockpile picks for the future. I'd almost like to see us do it just so Denver cannot get it's hands on our pick...

Archived