Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Redskins Team Report 10-3-06

bubba9497

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/redskins/home.htm

click link for full article

Washington Redskins

In the last two weeks, the Redskins' offense has moved from a No. 26 ranking in yards per game (255.5) to their current standing of third in the NFL (371.8) following a 481-yard effort in Sunday's 36-30 overtime win over Jacksonville.

When the Redskins defeated Houston 31-16, they got the return of running back Clinton Portis and used the Texans' porous secondary to riddle the field with short passes. Mark Brunell was 24 for 27.

When the Redskins beat Jacksonville, another dimension returned to their offense: Santana Moss. Moss tied a career high with three touchdowns. He had 138 yards on just four catches.

Just as important, the Redskins involved tight end Chris Cooley (four catches, 70 yards) and receiver Brandon Lloyd (three catches, 49 yards).

"That's really important because everybody had a chance to get a piece of things, whether it comes early or later," Moss said. "They made some plays and got their confidence going so I look forward to seeing everybody contributing more often, not just one or two guys. When teams key on one or two of us, we have other guys who can do the same kinds of things."

Said center Casey Rabach: "We're in a pretty good stride right now. There's always room for improvement because we still left some yardage on the field. To do what we did against a defense as good as Jacksonville, to put 152 rushing yards, we feel pretty good about ourselves."

The New York Giants, which play host to the Redskins on Sunday, should be prime for the picking. The Giants (1-2) rank 27th in yards allowed and 29th in pass defense. They have only two sacks in three games.

NOTES, QUOTES

—The Redskins are 8-2 in overtime games under Joe Gibbs and their 2-2 start this year is the first time since 1989 that the Redskins started 0-2 but won their next two games.

—Following a 491-yard game against the Jaguars, the Redskins moved to third in the NFL in offense (371.8 yards per game).

—Since Gibbs return to the Redskins in 2004, the team is 15-2 when they have a 100-yard rusher.

—The Redskins defense allowed Jacksonville to convert only two of 13 third-down opportunities.

—The Redskins' pass defense continues to be susceptible to the big play — Jacksonville quarterback Byron Leftwich threw for 289 yards and had six completions of 20 or more yards on Sunday. The Redskins fell 19th to 26th in passing yards allowed. Through four games, opponents are averaging 231.5 yards per game and have allowed 16 completions of 20 or more yards.

—Since Gibbs return to the Redskins in 2004, the team is 15-2 when they have a 100-yard rusher.

That right there is probably the most important stat for the Redskins so long as Portis is here (and probably after). I can't remember the exact stat given, but it was around 119-11 when a Joe Gibbs coached team rushes for 30+ times a game.

—FB Rock Cartwright leads the NFC and is ranked third in the NFL with a 28.8-yard average on kickoff returns. Only the Jets' Justin Miller and the Ravens' B.J. Sams are head of Cartwright.

Go Rock!

Each game they've made significant strides in what they had troubles with the previous games (offense was mediocre, holding / PI penaltys), next week I see a decrease in big plays let up through the passing game.

—The Redskins' pass defense continues to be susceptible to the big play — Jacksonville quarterback Byron Leftwich threw for 289 yards and had six completions of 20 or more yards on Sunday. The Redskins fell 19th to 26th in passing yards allowed. Through four games, opponents are averaging 231.5 yards per game and have allowed 16 completions of 20 or more yards.

You know, I don't dispute what this says, but I just watched the game again and a few of those key passes for the Jags were the result of a great throw by Leftwich and a great catch by his receiver. Not ALL of them by any means, but there were a few where our defense was actually very good but the throw and catch were even better.

Also, Rogers could have killed us, I'm sorry to say. There were 3 or 4 passes where if the throw or catch had been a little sharper, it could've been a different game. I'm really pulling for him to step things up.

Go Rock!

Each game they've made significant strides in what they had troubles with the previous games (offense was mediocre, holding / PI penaltys), next week I see a decrease in big plays let up through the passing game.

The numbers are good but dont credit just Rock- the blocking has been absolutly superb on kickoff return.

The only real downer are the comments about the D and big plays. Great job and an improvement holding the Jags to so few 3rd down conversions and getting to the qb, but those big plays hurt. Can imagine those getting alot of attention by Coach Williams and his staff this week.

—FB Rock Cartwright leads the NFC and is ranked third in the NFL with a 28.8-yard average on kickoff returns. Only the Jets' Justin Miller and the Ravens' B.J. Sams are head of Cartwright.

OK. I am going to say YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is playing great as a kick returner. His first kick return came against Dallas in the 2003 season, if I remember correctly. I hope he will continue this trend.

Blondie

OK. I am going to say YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is playing great as a kick returner. His first kick return came against Dallas in the 2003 season, if I remember correctly. I hope he will continue this trend.

Blondie

He's got my favorite attribute as a KR, he just takes it right up the field B. Mitch-style. I hate KRs who go side to side for 30 seconds and then get taken out at the twenty yard line. Hit it straight up the field as fast as you can while following the block, and then come off it at the 25/30 and see if you can break something. That seems to be exactly what he's doing. Good job, Rock.

He's got my favorite attribute as a KR, he just takes it right up the field B. Mitch-style. I hate KRs who go side to side for 30 seconds and then get taken out at the twenty yard line. Hit it straight up the field as fast as you can while following the block, and then come off it at the 25/30 and see if you can break something. That seems to be exactly what he's doing. Good job, Rock.

Much easier said then done. I use to play special teams as a PR. I did KR for ONE game but I got taken of KR because I was one of those side to side runners lol.

When you see a kick off on the sideline it looks easy enough to just run it back, but on the field it's like "Oh **** there are 11 mofos sprinting at full speed to take my head off". It's alot more intense then you think, thus the side to side movement.

I think you have to have a very hard nose mentality to be an effective KR and be able to hit that thing up in there ala B. Mitch and The Rock recently.

PR was easy because the ball is in the air so long once you catch it guys aren't running at full speed and a couple left/right jukes and its to the heezy!

GC

Rock looks like he has adjusted well to the role of kick returner. Personally, I was surprised that he didn't work in preseason games at it at all, which is why it was a surprise that he was doing it. But, now that he's got a few games under his belt, he's looking quite dangerous out there.

Jason

This is the team we all looked forward to in the off season. I sincerly hope that this board returns to positive threads, and stays that way. It was an ugly start, but with all the changes, didn't we expect just a little time to adapt?

It has been great to come to the board and see so many happy fans again. Wins are an ubelievable tonic for the ailing and doubting. No.3 offense in 4 weeks? Could we really expect anything better? Here's to a great season.:cheers:

Archived