Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1986 Redskins vs. Bears (Divisional Playoff Game)

Execution56

I remember watching it on my 13" color TV in the Far East Network (FEN) in Yokosuka, Japan.

Ahh yes good Old FEN! :cheers:

I remember the 1986 Playoff Game was taped delayed an I watched it Sunday Afternoon not knowing the score. The broadcast started in the second quarter because the Jets / Browns Playoff Game that was earlier went into double OT.

1987 at RFK...Skins won 23-19...they tackled a Giant receiver on the 2 yard line as time expired. I believe we came back from a 17-6 half time deficit but I could be wrong...just going off memeory...I listened to the game on the radio when I live din LA.

actually, i think it was 16-0 at the half. i remember seeing that idgit, Jimmy the 'Geek', all smug during the halftime show as he thought his prediction (he picked the Giants to clobber us) was all set.

I liked the NFL shows on CBS then...Brent Musberger was always sort of the redskins fan (much like James Brown would become), and Jimmy would typically take Pasta-like shots at the skins. I remember before the second Dallas game in '86 (the one at RFK, when earlier in the year we lost at Dallas 30-6, Mosley's last game), he said emphatically "Dallas is going to win this game!" I never enjoyed watching a first half of football as much as I did, the skins took a 34-0 halftime lead and won 41-14.

This is one of my favorite 'Skins victories of all time!

Do you remember this game? (for those young enough!)

The (12-4) Redskins travelled to the vaunted defending Super Bowl Champion (14-2) Chicago Bears on a frosty and windy day. I believe that the 'Skins were a double digit underdog (like 11-12 points). No one gave the Redskins a chance to win the game... NO ONE! This was on the heals of returning to the site where we were murdered the previous season, 45-10, after leading 10-0. Thiesmann's 1 yard punt in that game is still a classic!

The Bears defense was flying all over the place and dominated the game in the first half but their offense settled for FG's instead of TD's, keeping the 'Skins in the game, down at the half, 13-7. The Bears defense probably felt like they had the game won and I remember the announcer saying that the 'Skins had no chance of coming back.

In the second half, the 'Skins offense led by Jay Schroeder and a recharged defense led the 27-13 comeback victory that shocked the NFL on a higher level than when the Steelers beat the Colts, last season.

Unfortunately, we lost in the NFC Championship game to the Giants, 17-0, in a swirling wind in the Meadowlands. Gary Clark is still kicking himself for dropping a wide open, long TD pass that would have tied the game in the second half and given the 'Skins momentum.

I just wanted to throw that out there...

The 2006 season is far from over!

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck

I remember that Bears game very vividly. Yes, it was a classic. But, not as big as the one the season after when, after trailing 14-0, the Skins came back to win the game, 21-17, thanks in part to a dazzling 52-yard punt return by Darrell Green. Oh, those memories!

I do remember that game - in fact I have it on VHS along with most of the other games from that year.

Schroeder who had a great year in '86 throwing for over 4000 yards played well standing in against a great Bears front and making some clutch throws. It lookeds like he was set to be our QB for years ......

I think Flutie made the start for the Bears with McMahon injured and apart from a long TD pass to Willie Gault off a pump fake we shut him down all day.

I believe that Jay Schoeder has the Redskins record for passing yards in a season from what he accomplished that year:

276/541 51.0% 4109 yards 7.60 y/att 22 TDs 22 int 72.9 rating

It is amazing how we could have thrown 22 interceptions and still had a 12-4 record! We had "2" 1,000 yard WR's (Monk and Clark) and a 1,200 yard back (George Rogers plus 18TD's).

Any chance Brunnel will even get to 2,500 yards passing this season? BTW, he threw for 3,050 yards last season.

I remember that Bears game very vividly. Yes, it was a classic. But, not as big as the one the season after when, after trailing 14-0, the Skins came back to win the game, 21-17, thanks in part to a dazzling 52-yard punt return by Darrell Green. Oh, those memories!

I agree with you that the playoff win the following season was huge. That defense allowed a then NFL record lowest, 187 points. They allowed 20 points or more only 3 times all season. The Bears were still smarting from the previous post season loss and wanted to take it to us. Darrell's spectacular punt return for a TD, while clutching his ribs after he hurdled a would-be tackler, is a lasting image for all Redskins fans and Redskins history.

The reason I remember the '86 season playoff game as one of my favorites was because no one gave us a chance to win. We were lucky to be only down 13-7 at the half because the defense kept us in the game, limiting the Bears to two short FG's. Jim McMahon came in the second half of that game, but was not effective. Everyone had practically annointed the Bears to repeat as champs.

The Bears defense from 1984-1987 was the one of the most ferocious in NFL history. Look at these "sickening" stats for instance:

'84 - 72 sacks

'85 - 62 sacks

'86 - 64 sacks

'87 - 69 sacks

Now that's nasty....

Anyway, this is my favorite site for re-living football history and for "stats nuts" like myself. Enjoy!

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/standings.nsf

In my 30 plus years of following the Skins the '86 game against the Bears is the one playoff game I never saw. I was on a college class trip to the USSR. One of my classmates had called home and got the football scores. When he told me the Skins had won, I was pumped.....I hadn't seen a lot of the games that year due to being in college in Pennsylvania but also didn't think the Skins would beat the Bears. Anyway, he then says the score of the Giants-49ers game (49-3) and I thought, "Oh crap!!"

I got back home the night before the NFCCG. I watched the game but only with passing interest......I had gone to the late season Skins-Giants game at RFK where they pretty much controlled the game, and I didn't expect us to win. I also was just happy to be back in the USA after enduring 40 below temps in the USSR......the day of the NFCCG, it was like 30 outside and I was wearing shorts!!

>> I see copies of this game from time to time on Ebay. BTW, my (at the time) girlfriend's father could not watch the game either, but had programmed his VCR to tape it. The younger sister noticed that the TV had not come on when the game started and started messing with the VCR. She messed up the whole thing up.

This is the best part of being part of ES. When a bunch of old veterans like us who witnessed the old games and can sit in here a talk about the glory days. I feel like a vet at the local VFW talking about old war stories. This is great. Sorry to the younger one's who didn't see the live games. I'm sure some of you have seen the game tapes.

Archived