Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins coaches are doing a terrible job utilizing their personnel

ConcordNCSkinsFan

The "Brunell Sucks" and "Play Campbell" threads and posts have gotten old to me. I've been as upset with Brunell and Saunders as anybody so I understand the frustration but there are other personnel moves all the coaches should look at to improve team besides the QB. Some posts have probably already pointed some of these out and if anyone has anyhting else to add besides "kidnapping Brunell so Campbell is forced to start" feel free to add.

1. Get Randle El on Kick Returns. Why only use him on punts? I know Rock took one back Sunday but he basically had terrific blocking and really didn't have to do anything but run straight. Randle El has shown his explosiveness on punt returns and since we haven't got him enough touches in the Passing Game Kickoffs would be one more way to get him the ball.

2. Some 3-4 Defense would allow us to get Rocky and Posey on the field a little more and maybe come up with some different pass rush looks for Andre Carter. I think he needs to be moved around more and Pass Rushing from different angles and standing up. He's just been rushing from a 3 point stance off the same end and he's not been effective.

3. Bunch WR formations. I haven't seen Moss, Randle El, and Lloyd in a bunch set yet. This worked for the Posse back in the day. Even though I like Sellers we should be in a one back three wide set the majority of the time.

4. I think they need to move Archuleta around on some plays as I mentioned with Carter. Play him as a LB in the box sometimes maybe rush him off the line like they do Washington. His strengths are Blitzing and Tackling not Pass Coverage. I know this would be easier if Priouleau was still the backup S but they should still give it a shot. This applies to Taylor as well.

5. If Clinton's not playing, Duckett should be the starting RB. Betts has shown me no ability to break tackles or convert short yardage and I would rather see what Duckett could do. Betts could still be 3rd down RB.

6. If Springs is not playing, Rumph should be starting CB with Rogers. He's struggled at times but not as much as Wright. He just has better physical skills than Wright.

7. Why have I hardly seen Saunders call plays rolling the pocket or having Brunell run any bootlegs. Like Jake Plummer he seems to be more effective on the move than as a sitting duck in the pocket.

8. No Huddle. Pick up the pace and tempo on Offense and use the speed we have to start wearing Defenses out.

We play a lot of 3-4, so I think that recommendation is moot. Also, Duckett has no vision. There were plenty of runs where if he'd cut it back in the opposite direction, he would have gotten a first down and more. The no huddle is also impossible at this point because I seriously doubt everyone has their assignments down. They're still learning the offense. Finally, at this point, everyone has a 'back or safety spying Brunell in case he chooses to bootleg or run with it. He needs to learn to throw from the pocket like he did in Jacksonville.

The "Brunell Sucks" and "Play Campbell" threads and posts have gotten old to me. I've been as upset with Brunell and Saunders as anybody so I understand the frustration but there are other personnel moves all the coaches should look at to improve team besides the QB. Some posts have probably already pointed some of these out and if anyone has anyhting else to add besides "kidnapping Brunell so Campbell is forced to start" feel free to add.

1. Get Randle El on Kick Returns. Why only use him on punts? I know Rock took one back Sunday but he basically had terrific blocking and really didn't have to do anything but run straight. Randle El has shown his explosiveness on punt returns and since we haven't got him enough touches in the Passing Game Kickoffs would be one more way to get him the ball.

2. Some 3-4 Defense would allow us to get Rocky and Posey on the field a little more and maybe come up with some different pass rush looks for Andre Carter. I think he needs to be moved around more and Pass Rushing from different angles and standing up. He's just been rushing from a 3 point stance off the same end and he's not been effective.

3. Bunch WR formations. I haven't seen Moss, Randle El, and Lloyd in a bunch set yet. This worked for the Posse back in the day. Even though I like Sellers we should be in a one back three wide set the majority of the time.

4. I think they need to move Archuleta around on some plays as I mentioned with Carter. Play him as a LB in the box sometimes maybe rush him off the line like they do Washington. His strengths are Blitzing and Tackling not Pass Coverage. I know this would be easier if Priouleau was still the backup S but they should still give it a shot. This applies to Taylor as well.

5. If Clinton's not playing, Duckett should be the starting RB. Betts has shown me no ability to break tackles or convert short yardage and I would rather see what Duckett could do. Betts could still be 3rd down RB.

6. If Springs is not playing, Rumph should be starting CB with Rogers. He's struggled at times but not as much as Wright. He just has better physical skills than Wright.

7. Why have I hardly seen Saunders call plays rolling the pocket or having Brunell run any bootlegs. Like Jake Plummer he seems to be more effective on the move than as a sitting duck in the pocket.

8. No Huddle. Pick up the pace and tempo on Offense and use the speed we have to start wearing Defenses out.

We already do all those things except the no huddle and randel-el returning kicks.

Its been laughable reading these boards over the last few months and everybody saying we are going to the SuperBowl because of William's schemes or Saunder's schemes and we can lose key contributors because the schemes put people into positions to be successful (Marshall for Pierce, Archuleta for Clark, etc.)

Schemes don't make plays, players do. Good coaches adjust schemes to the players they have, not the other way around.

Its been laughable reading these boards over the last few months and everybody saying we are going to the SuperBowl because of William's schemes or Saunder's schemes and we can lose key contributors because the schemes put people into positions to be successful (Marshall for Pierce, Archuleta for Clark, etc.)

Schemes don't make plays, players do. Good coaches adjust schemes to the players they have, not the other way around.

Marshall for Pierce is a bad example. I still feel like Marshall's every bit as good as (if not better than) Pierce was for us... what he lacks in run support, he makes up in coverage. :2cents:

• 1 month later...

Okay. Today we play the Colts. The best defense vs their offense is for the Skins O to run the ball and eat clock.

So we need to speed the game up and run no huddle?? Geez Louise..........:doh:

Okay. Today we play the Colts. The best defense vs their offense is for the Skins O to run the ball and eat clock.

So we need to speed the game up and run no huddle?? Geez Louise..........:doh:

Its called attitude. Stick their best offensive weapon in their face. We did it in our last Super Bowl to the Bills. It was 24-0 before they scored their first points.

Look at how the Titans shoved our best weapon (the power running game) in our face last week. It seemed like they intimidated us. We have to do the same this week to have a chance. Get in their minds and make them start doubting they will win.

Its called attitude. Stick their best offensive weapon in their face. We did it in our last Super Bowl to the Bills. It was 24-0 before they scored their first points.

Look at how the Titans shoved our best weapon (the power running game) in our face last week. It seemed like they intimidated us. We have to do the same this week to have a chance. Get in their minds and make them start doubting they will win.

I've always thought(and still believe) running the ball down an opponents throat absolutely demoralizes a team.

That's what we need to do today. We've tried cute and fancy, it's time for smashmouth,grind it out.

I've always thought(and still believe) running the ball down an opponents throat absolutely demoralizes a team.

That's what we need to do today. We've tried cute and fancy, it's time for smashmouth,grind it out.

True, but they are going to put 7-8 in the box and with McFarland it will be tougher to run on them.

With 7-8 in the box its tough to run on any team, even with a poor run defense.

I agree we have to establish the run game, but the no-huddle also tires out a defense, and demoralizes one as well if you just march the ball down the field in 2 minutes.

I dont think Brunell would be capable of running the no huddle. If you notice, most teams that use the no huddle have a quarterback that reads defenses and makes adjustments at the line. Have you ever seen Brunell do this? No. Payton Manning, Carson Palmer, McNabb, Hasslebeck, even Chad Pennington can run no huddle. Not Mark Brunell...whatever call goes into his headset thats the play that gets run and whoever the first option is on that play...thats who he throws the ball to. He is uncapable of making adjustments on the fly like these other elite QBs.

So it was losing Ryan Clark and not Springs, Griffin and Salave'a that hurt our D?

No kidding!

It seems they focus on a single RB and WR each game. This game the focus at RB was Clinton Portis, and WR was Brandon Llyod.

Wish they would get Moss, Llyod, and Randle El all involved in a game and on their drives.

What happened to TJ Duckett? Why wasn't he being played?

You know Dieselpwr44, thats right, but Brunell still needs be able to move and survive out of the pocket if he ''s flushed out, just seems like he not willing to get hit anymore.

Overall, the talent on this team is huge, Saunders has been paid all this money and hasn't shown none of it yet, thats just my opinion.

Making the play-offs with what they had last year, we should be super bowl bound this year. I love Joe Gibbs with all my heart, but maybe Nascar is where he needs to be, after all he did retire for a reason!

Sorry if anyone is offended here, I've been a REDSKIN FAN, almost my entire life and will always be one, but the sake of next years season the changes need to be made now. HAIL TO THE SKINS.

Archived