Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dave Grohl and trapped miners.

Diggs

If I were a rock star, I would pull stuff like this too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5301658.stm

Foo Fighters singer Dave Grohl has said he will go drinking with two miners who listened to his band while they were trapped underground for two weeks.

The men were stuck in a Tasmanian mine when it collapsed in May, and passed the time listening to the Foo Fighters on MP3 players handed to them.

Grohl said he would meet the two when the band tour Australia in November.

"I'm not just having one beer with those dudes - we're going for it," he told the country's ABC radio.

"This is going to be a big night."

Escape

The miners, Brant Webb, 37, and Todd Russell, 34, were working in at the Beaconsfield Gold Mine when an earthquake triggered a rock fall, trapping them almost a kilometre below the surface.

As rescuers dug an escape tunnel for them, the pair were handed the MP3 players to keep their spirits up.

Mr Webb requested that Foo Fighters music be put on the player - and when Grohl heard about this, he sent the miners a message of support, along with a promise to fly them over to the US for drinks.

Although this has not happened, the chance of them meeting increased when the group announced their tour would include Australia.

Both Mr Webb and Mr Russell became celebrities in Australia after their escape.

Their manager Sean Anderson said he was certain they would be happy to take Grohl up on his offer.

"I'm sure they will be very keen to meet him," Anderson said.

"Brant's the big fan [of Grohl], whereas Todd's more into his country and western stuff."

Yeah, i was watching the HD Freeview last night of the Foo playing a concert in England in front of 85,000 brits. At one point between songs Grohl was like "HEY! Isnt it the Queens birthday today?" The 85,000 brits start cheering. Grohl: "WHATEVER!"

It was outstanding. :laugh:

At the Acoustic Foo concert - after a few songs he introduced all the band members and extras - and talked about how they always wanted to do an acoustic tour. And he talked about the difficulty of playing acoustically for an hour - plus side was that he didn't worry about losing his voice every night.

He mentioned how he could always come out and sing "Alice's restaurant" and be half way done for the night. It was a comment lost on a lot of people - but I dug it.

:laugh:

Archived