Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ray Brown comment about yesterdays game

gangars

Agreed.

If we were looking at just this year, then yes, we'd probably be better on O without the change. However, this was a long-term improvement for the team. This offense has a track-record of working so we should be excited to see the development!

Then why is Brunell still playing if we arent trying to win right now?

I agree that It was a step backwards to hire Saunders this season, but it was a necessary move for the future. So now Saunders is trying to make it by mashing both worlds together this season. A Gibbs built team with a veteran QB with an Al Saunders high powered offense in its first year of a 700+ page playbook. I know I was counting this as a win when going over our schedule this offseason, where do we overachieve now to make up that loss? I dunno. It didnt look much like a gibbs offense out there to me. The ONLY thing that keeps my spirits high is that Dallas and NY lost on Sunday, and when it comes down to the come down, we only need to beat up on these teams to make it to the dance. I Still see us making it to the playoffs, but it aint gonna be pretty.

Here is my question about Saunders:

Everyone says, "He made the Chiefs Offense #1, and they didn't have the WRs we have" Well, could that possibly be because, Al Saunders offense has never been about downfield passing/vertical passing game, and has been more about the running game and screen passes and stuff like that? If I remember correctly from what I have seen from the Chiefs, I don't remember a lot of Trent Green dropping back and chucking the ball, it was a LOT of screen passes, short yardage dumpoffs, and a couple of passes to Tony Gonzalez in the middle of the field........

Is it possible that we got the Wrong O-Coordinator for the type personnel on offense we have? In my opinion, with the personnel we have now, we would be perfectly ok running Gibb's offense. I mean who utilized the WR position more, The Gibbs superbowl teams or the Kansas City Chiefs?

Is it possible that we got the Wrong O-Coordinator for the type personnel on offense we have? In my opinion, with the personnel we have now, we would be perfectly ok running Gibb's offense. I mean who utilized the WR position more, The Gibbs superbowl teams or the Kansas City Chiefs?

From his bio:

In 2005, Saunders coached the most explosive offense in the NFL, leading the League with 70 total plays over 20 yards including an NFL-high 15 touchdowns. Kansas City also led the League in yards per play (5.85) and topped the NFL in eight other offensive categories.

Jason

Then why is Brunell still playing if we arent trying to win right now?

I agree that It was a step backwards to hire Saunders this season, but it was a necessary move for the future. So now Saunders is trying to make it by mashing both worlds together this season. A Gibbs built team with a veteran QB with an Al Saunders high powered offense in its first year of a 700+ page playbook. I know I was counting this as a win when going over our schedule this offseason, where do we overachieve now to make up that loss? I dunno. It didnt look much like a gibbs offense out there to me. The ONLY thing that keeps my spirits high is that Dallas and NY lost on Sunday, and when it comes down to the come down, we only need to beat up on these teams to make it to the dance. I Still see us making it to the playoffs, but it aint gonna be pretty.

Well because you're never "not trying to win" games. It's just that the offense will take time to fully settle in.

Honestly, we nearly won this game while struggling with the offense so why would we start a season by just going to the young, unproven guy. If we are 2-6 or something, I'm sure Campbell will get his shot, but you have to put yourself in the best position to win while making strides toward the future.

That's my take at least.

did a search, didn't see anything posted...

Ray Brown made a great point last night after the Skins horrific loss. He said the only real change the Skins needed this season was needing a 2nd WR to compliment Moss rather than an entire new offense. Now, I know alot of you are going to say that it isn't a new offense, it's a hybrid. But after playing football for some time, anytime you have a new coordinator, it is a new offense.

In hearing the players speak after the game, the common tone that I heard about how it's a new offense and it'll take time for everyone to get on the same page. Anyone else concerned that the Skins 'over-fixed' a problem that wasn't really necessary?

I posted the same thing the other day...

Nope. Saunders will be here when Gibbs is gone. This is the offense Jason Campbell will take to future Super Bowls.

just not this year ... :(

I agree with this post, as well as with Ray Brown's sentiment. I just hope I can come to agree with the current players who are saying that this new offense needs time, but more importantly that that time will come soon.

Ok, but that bio doesn't say what the plays were that netted 20 yards. It could have been a lot of RB screens to Priest Holmes.

I am talking about utilizing a tandem of WRs.

Looking at the stats from last year for plays over 20 yards.

Kennison: 17

Johnson: 15 rushing, 4 receiving

Gonzalez: 9

Parker: 8

Hall: 5

Holmes: 3 Rushing, 3 receiving

So, for WRs and TEs, there were 39 plays, and for RBs it was 25.

This noteing that last year was a down year for Gonzo because he was forced to block more often last year. He averages more than 15 +20 yard plays a year since 2000.

Jason

did a search, didn't see anything posted...

Ray Brown made a great point last night after the Skins horrific loss. He said the only real change the Skins needed this season was needing a 2nd WR to compliment Moss rather than an entire new offense. Now, I know alot of you are going to say that it isn't a new offense, it's a hybrid. But after playing football for some time, anytime you have a new coordinator, it is a new offense.

In hearing the players speak after the game, the common tone that I heard about how it's a new offense and it'll take time for everyone to get on the same page. Anyone else concerned that the Skins 'over-fixed' a problem that wasn't really necessary?

I liked the comments on the OLine. We have one guy who gets beat play after play....Jansen! I hope somebody out there will finally call him out.

I agree with Ray Brown, we were finally in the right direction. And for those who think Gibbs will step down, Gibbs might be here longer than Saunders if it keeps going the way it went the other night. Gibbs said 5 years, that means 5 years. And even though our defense didn't play great cause of the corners, the offense didn't do anything great either. GW will be here, but Saunders might want to look in Gibbs' playbook to try some stuff that might work. Like running between the tackles.:logo:

Might I add something, since Al and Joe came from the same cloth (coryell) I don't think that the new offense is that different. The motions, yes but the plays are basically the same thing maybe a few wrinkles. It is still ridiculous that of all the times in the red zone Duckett wasn't used. PLEASE there is no excuse for that...Sellers and Duckett equals TD's

Archived