Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who will have the most receiving yards against the Vikings?

chaught76

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I got to thinking about this and I could come up with an arguement for any of the guys. For example:

Santana Moss

Against Winfield: Moss is much quicker and faster than Winfield. If this matchup occurs and the Vikings don't offer safety help, Moss goes for 6 on a double move.

Against Smoot: Moss is takes advantage of Smoot's aggressiveness and overconfidence in himself. A better coverage scenario for the Vikings, but Moss wins out in one-on-one coverage.

Against Griffin: Welcome to class Mr. Griffin. Griffin would probably be the best to match up on Moss if it wasn't for his rookie status. He definitely has tools to be physical with Moss, but experience wins out.

Brandon Lloyd

Against Winfield: Lloyd has the speed advantage over Winfield, but Winfield will use his physical play to try and negate Lloyd's speed. Probably the best cover scenario for the Vikings, but Llyod has the edge if Winfield doesn't knock him off his routes early.

Against Smoot: Lloyd has the size advantage. He can screen off Smoot on passes and easily out jump him for a pass. On a deep ball, it is 6 points for Washington with no safety help.

Against Griffin: Good-matchup. Lloyd only wins out here because of experience.

Antwan Randel El

Against Winfield: Shouldn't see this matchup much. I'll call this a good matchup because I don't know enough to compare ARE's quickness and speed to Winfield. I think this is match is a wash: could go our way, could go Vikings way.

Against Smoot: Good matchup. ARE wins out on curls, slants, and quick outs. He is more physical than Smoot as well.

Against: This is the only matchup I can lean towards the Vikings on. Again, experience will come into play here, but Griffin has the tools to better ARE. I have to call this one a draw.

Chris Cooley

Against the LBs: If the Vikings commit to double coverage, Cooley easily wins out over their LBs and has a big game. If the Vikings play a zone coverage, then Cooley will still be effective, but not as much.

So, who has the big game. For me, it is Moss, Lloyd, or Cooley if the Vikings get caught in man coverages. If they play a zone, I think the numbers will be more even for all of pass catchers, but Moss, Cooley, and ARE benefit more. What do you all think?

I didn't include CP for 2 reasons:

1) If he plays the whole game, he will be busy running all over the Vikings because they won't be able to put 8 in the box.

2) He will probably on get a handful of carries if we are able to run the ball well, because Gibbs will pull him at halftime or sooner to give that shoulder some more rest and Duckett and Betts will run the ball the remainder of the game.

I am leaning toward Moss only if they double cover him. If they double man coverage on Moss then Lloyd and Cooley will have huge games. I am really looking forward to Monday night. HTTR!!!

Im sorry, but I think Winfield will give Moss a lot of problems. Winfield is great at bumping at the point of attack, and that causes Moss a lot of problems.

I think the guy who will lead this team is Randle El. There is no one on that field that will be able to cover him in the slot. Moss will be doubled over the top negating the big plays. Lloyd will have a decent game, but not enough to be the leader. Cooley will be looked at as the 4th option and thus not giving him the yards he needs. Randle El's final stats, 5 catches 117 yards 1 td.

Thats my prediction.

AKM311, I didn't recall Moss having a lot of problems getting off line last year with physical corners, but maybe I am wrong. I think the new rules play into Moss's favor a lot. I agree, if the Vikings double cover him, Cooley, Lloyd, or ARE have big games. Besides, with speed and quickness he brings to the table, I don't see Winfield playing to close to line because once Moss gets pass him, especially on a "go" route, that pretty much puts Moss one-on-one with safety.

AKM311, I didn't recall Moss having a lot of problems getting off line last year with physical corners, but maybe I am wrong. I think the new rules play into Moss's favor a lot. I agree, if the Vikings double cover him, Cooley, Lloyd, or ARE have big games. Besides, with speed and quickness he brings to the table, I don't see Winfield playing to close to line because once Moss gets pass him, especially on a "go" route, that pretty much puts Moss one-on-one with safety.

The reason why I say this, is because of Saunders. Last year we did a max protect so we had more time to allow him to get open. Saunders system is about timing a route, which the bump is used to defend against it. If he is off by .5 second, then it automatically will switch to Lloyd or El. Moss is a small guy, which will show this year. I love Moss and still think he will have a monster year, btu Winfield is one of the best at bump and run coverage. Also, the saftey help over top will limit his big plays in that game because Winfield will still be right with him.

If Smoot covers him, we have a different story.

Good analysis. I like your breakdown of each matchup, and picked Cooley b/c I think Moss, and Lloyd will be covered by a corner and safety for most of the game, opening up alot of things for Randle El and Cooley. Therefore, I look for them to have solid days with good stats. Lloyd and Moss will be involved as well but won't be as effective as many think. JMO. But you never know..............

AKM311

You bring up a very good point about Saunders style of play. I forgot about this aspect; however, I must also use your good point. Saunders offense will use a lot of motion, so there will be a good chance Moss could end up in the slot or be in motion right before the snap. This would prevent Winfield from setting up on Moss to knock him off his route.

Also, this brings up another question. Does Santana line up on the right or left of the formation. If he lined up on the right of the formation, he would be on Brunell's blindside. Wouldn't that make him the second target? Just a question mind you.

Thanks for great conversation. I can never seem to find enough time or people to discuss football or better the Skins with. HTTR!!!

AKM311

You bring up a very good point about Saunders style of play. I forgot about this aspect; however, I must also use your good point. Saunders offense will use a lot of motion, so there will be a good chance Moss could end up in the slot or be in motion right before the snap. This would prevent Winfield from setting up on Moss to knock him off his route.

Also, this brings up another question. Does Santana line up on the right or left of the formation. If he lined up on the right of the formation, he would be on Brunell's blindside. Wouldn't that make him the second target? Just a question mind you.

Thanks for great conversation. I can never seem to find enough time or people to discuss football or better the Skins with. HTTR!!!

That is a great point, but if they run motion, Winfield probably will not follow as they run a Cover 2 defense over there. Knowing Gibbs and Saunders, Moss will be in motion constantly that game, and now I can expect a big game from him. But it just won't happen against Winfield.

Archived