Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stash Ortega and Espy on PS/IR

method man

I think Ortega needs to convert to the WR position. At 6-4 227 pounds with very good athleticism and good hands, he has the potential to be a very nice possession receiver. I also hear that he is a good special teamer. As he is playing TE now and is making catches over the middle, he is tough as well. I think he needs to spend time on the practice squad this year and learn the nuances of the WR position. We shouldn't carry 6 receivers and because Espy really hasn't done all that much lately in the preseason, I think we could stash him on the practice squad without anyone grabbing him. If he wants to make it on the Skins (a team loaded with short speedy receivers), he needs to become Thrash's understudy on teams this season. Next season, with some seasoning, I like Ortega and Espy replacing an aging Patten and a diminishing Thrash.

I think Ortega needs to convert to the WR position. At 6-4 227 pounds with very good athleticism and good hands, he has the potential to be a very nice possession receiver. I also hear that he is a good special teamer. As he is playing TE now and is making catches over the middle, he is tough as well. I think he needs to spend time on the practice squad this year and learn the nuances of the WR position. We shouldn't carry 6 receivers and because Espy really hasn't done all that much lately in the preseason, I think we could stash him on the practice squad without anyone grabbing him. If he wants to make it on the Skins (a team loaded with short speedy receivers), he needs to become Thrash's understudy on teams this season. Next season, with some seasoning, I like Ortega and Espy replacing an aging Patten and a diminishing Thrash.

Considering that we have 3 TEs currently, including Ortega, unless we decide to look for another TE, Ortega will be playing TE.

BTW, things have changed. TEs are now the big possession receivers in the league.

I agree with you about Espy and I think he's destined for the practice squad.

Jason

Not a bad idea though I'm not sure (could be wrong) if Ortega has WR speed to seperate from a DB. I do want us to keep him because of his size and athleticism which makes him a nice red zone target. Espy has some talent but he'll definitely need to contribute in some other way for now if we keep him.

Well, it depends on how many FBs and RBs we keep. With the addition of Ducket, I'm thinking it isn't looking good for Ortega to make the team.

Sorry, but I can't see the Skins going with just two TEs. If you are going with a tight formation, you need two at least, and you probably need a backup as well.

Jason

I liked what I saw from both Ortega and Espy so far. Unfortunately there are only so many spots to fill. I think it's unlikely either makes the team, with Ortega having a better chance than Espy in my opinion. Hopefully the practice squad is a place for both. Possibly NFL Europe or something until the get another good shot at making the team next season. :whoknows:

Considering that we have 3 TEs currently, including Ortega, unless we decide to look for another TE, Ortega will be playing TE.

BTW, things have changed. TEs are now the big possession receivers in the league.

I agree with you about Espy and I think he's destined for the practice squad.

Jason

I have not heard of many 225 pound TEs.

He ran a 4.55 in high school so I am thinking he runs at least a 4.5 now. Anyways, what matters is true game speed. As long as Ortega does not run like molasses, if he can jump and has good hands, he can be our Hank Baskett. Ortega was also one of the best speical teamers at the U. That is telling me that he is a keeper and one of those guys who will become an important role player.

I think they both showed ALOT of potential and would be nice to breed somehome grown.

But I have been impressed with almost noone all preseason except Ortega. His desire is palpable every play he is in there. I think this is a guy who just gets better and better. He will be on an NFL team in a couple of years at least.

He ran a 4.55 in high school so I am thinking he runs at least a 4.5 now. Anyways, what matters is true game speed. As long as Ortega does not run like molasses, if he can jump and has good hands, he can be our Hank Baskett. Ortega was also one of the best speical teamers at the U. That is telling me that he is a keeper and one of those guys who will become an important role player.

excuse me meth, but uhmm, what the hell has hank baskett, a rookie, prooved to anyone that would allow him to be someone to compare to?:2cents:

I have not heard of many 225 pound TEs.

I agree...227 is a bit light for a TE, but the kid has some skills. He's also good on teams, which is the most important thing for Gibbs & co. in a reserve. I can see him making the team and having an impact on special teams and possibly goalline situations. Duckett, Sellers, Cooley, Fauria in on goalline packages -- who's gonna worry about Ortega?? :laugh:

excuse me meth, but uhmm, what the hell has hank baskett, a rookie, prooved to anyone that would allow him to be someone to compare to?:2cents:

Well, up until the Stallworth trade, Baskett shot up the depth charts to become a starter, passing veterans like Greg Lewis, Jabar Gaffney, and an albeit injured Todd Pinkston. If you are not satisfied with hte example of Baskett, then he can be a poor man's Drew Bennett.

Well, up until the Stallworth trade, Baskett shot up the depth charts to become a starter, passing veterans like Greg Lewis, Jabar Gaffney, and an albeit injured Todd Pinkston. If you are not satisfied with hte example of Baskett, then he can be a poor man's Drew Bennett.

thank you. . . and i wasnt tryin to be a d!ck in sayin this btw. . . just questioning. .

Archived