Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Byner / Saunders: The Great Duckett Depth Chart Debate (Merged)

graffjd

Despite Duckett's bad year in '05, he is a player. Betts is soft in that he is always nicked. I'm also still pissed that he blindly ran up the back of Thomas to end his season.

In short, it would be unwise going into the season with Betts as your number 2, especially if Portis is going to carry a sore shoulder all year. I know there is a lot of Rock fans around here, but he has proven nothing.

Maybe the idea is to run Portis 20-25 times per game, Betts 5-10 times per game, and use TJ in short yardage situations.

Concerning giving up a 3rd rounder for a role-player...well, I think this is one of those deals where we gave up too much. That said, the team should be better for it so I'm willing to give it a year before I fault the FO for making the trade.

I know there is a lot of Rock fans around here, but he has proven nothing.

Dude, c'mon. Rock has proven that he's a good 3rd sting HB and a solid special teamer. If he has to prove himself to you by running for 1,500 yards then, well, you ought to reconsider what it means to prove your value. I think Rock is...solid (haha, get it? :doh: )

Dude, c'mon. Rock has proven that he's a good 3rd sting HB and a solid special teamer

Let him play special teams; I have no problem with he special teams play. It doesn't change the fact that he shouldn't have a significant carry in the regular season for a playoff-caliber team. He is simply not a good RB. I'd be fine with him as a #3 if I knew there was no chance he'd be needed, but with Portis's shoulder a question, we needed another talented RB.

Maybe this has already been mentioned, and if it has, sorry for being redundant.

But i can't help but think

"Gerald Riggs"

As I recall, Byner didn't mind having Riggs around (or Ricky Ervins, either), and we were all the better for it.

The more I look at this team, the more it mirrors the 91 team.

~Bang

Betts and Cartwright both had career games last year against the Rams, perhaps the worst rush defense in the NFC. I would not put that up there as evidence that either player has proven they can handle being a primary back.

Duckett has not rushed for 1,000 yards or been a 16 game starter either, hence his being acquired for a #3 pick instead of a #1 pick :)

But what Duckett HAS proven is that he can convert first downs and score touchdowns, something that the Redskins have had a problem with the past 2 years.

And Duckett has as much upside as Betts from a physical standpoint and more than Cartwright, so the team is going to let Duckett rise up to the level of his talent and see if he surpasses Betts.

Maybe this has already been mentioned, and if it has, sorry for being redundant.

But i can't help but think

"Gerald Riggs"

As I recall, Byner didn't mind having Riggs around, and we were all the better for it.

The more I look at this team, the more it mirrors the 91 team.

~Bang

Except for the longevity of the players in the skill positions with our team, yes, but that's probably just a sign of the times with the salary cap and FA.

Except for the longevity of the players in the skill positions with our team, yes, but that's probably just a sign of the times with the salary cap and FA.

i'd agree, I'm thinking of the way they're built. In fact, I'd say we've got a better backfield then we did in 91.

hey, did you get the toon working yesterday? I saaw you had trouble

~Bang

Let's not forget the old addage: "actions speak louder than words":

Enter Joe Gibbs; praises Patrick Ramsey, says he looks forward to working with Patrick; couple weeks later, Skins trade for Brunell; Brunell stinks it up, Ramsey is named starter, Gibbs praises him for his progress; Ramsey gets knocked woozy, Brunell is named starter; Gibbs says Ramsey still has a "very valuable role" with the team; Ramsey is traded.

Enter Joe Gibbs; praises Ladell Betts; couple weeks later, trades for Clinton Portis; Portis injures shoulder, Gibbs praises Betts and he is considered the starter until Portis returns; Betts doesn't exactly light it up in preseason and is nursing an injury (again); Skins trade for TJ Duckett; Gibbs says Betts still has a "very valuable role" with the team; __________________.

You fill in the blank. History tends to repeat itself. Miami is looking for another RB to pair up with Ronnie Brown...

Betts will not be going anywhere anytime soon. The only possible trade will be if another team has an injury at RB and needs a quality RB to keep thier season from going down the drain. And that is only after Duckett has learned the offense. Anything before that just wont happen.

And that is only after Duckett has learned the offense. Anything before that just wont happen.

Riggo has said himself that RB is THE easiest position to learn, because you're asked to run right, left or straight, and the QB can just tell you what to do if you forget the verbage. In other words, by opening night, Duckett with have "learned the offense."

I think the Ramsey example IS instructive in that Gibbs is not going to trade a depth player for picks in a future season unless that player is causing dissension.

As Ramsey was willing to support Brunell and not cause trouble, Gibbs correctly decided to keep a veteran backup instead of going with the rookie Campbell as the #2. Ramsey came into a key game against the Giants and successfully closed out that victory 35-20 while throwing a TD pass and helping the team eat up the clock.

Betts won't be dealt now unless he backbites enough that Gibbs decides he isn't worth the grief. But he isn't going to deal him for a future middle round draft pick, that doesn't help Gibbs in 2006 :)

And 2006 is ALL that Gibbs is worried about right now with the season opener two weeks away :D

Let him play special teams; I have no problem with he special teams play. It doesn't change the fact that he shouldn't have a significant carry in the regular season for a playoff-caliber team. He is simply not a good RB. I'd be fine with him as a #3 if I knew there was no chance he'd be needed, but with Portis's shoulder a question, we needed another talented RB.

thats basically how i feel. Rock is cool and all, but i am simply not confident with having him and Betts sharing the load in the event that Portis is out for an extended amount of time. This has nothing to do with how SWELL of a guy he is. He is just not that good of a RB, point blank!

Let's not forget the old addage: "actions speak louder than words":

Enter Joe Gibbs; praises Patrick Ramsey, says he looks forward to working with Patrick; couple weeks later, Skins trade for Brunell; Brunell stinks it up, Ramsey is named starter, Gibbs praises him for his progress; Ramsey gets knocked woozy, Brunell is named starter; Gibbs says Ramsey still has a "very valuable role" with the team; Ramsey is traded.

Enter Joe Gibbs; praises Ladell Betts; couple weeks later, trades for Clinton Portis; Portis injures shoulder, Gibbs praises Betts and he is considered the starter until Portis returns; Betts doesn't exactly light it up in preseason and is nursing an injury (again); Skins trade for TJ Duckett; Gibbs says Betts still has a "very valuable role" with the team; __________________.

You fill in the blank. History tends to repeat itself. Miami is looking for another RB to pair up with Ronnie Brown...

so be it brotha, so be it.

i'd agree, I'm thinking of the way they're built. In fact, I'd say we've got a better backfield then we did in 91.

hey, did you get the toon working yesterday? I saaw you had trouble

~Bang

I haven't tried again, and my work computer has no sound card. I'll try again tonight.

Archived