Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Harpers Ferry

Larry Brown #43

Well it has changed a little bit since then. There really isn't any place to park in the old town area other than a small lot at the bottom which is always full. They have other lots that you can park in and they (the National Park Service) provide a shuttle bus service.

My wife and I stayed at a bed and breakfast (The Jackson Rose House) there last year which was nice. It was Stonewall Jackson's Headquarters when he was there during the Civil War.

There are other places as well. I know there is an old hotel that has great views over one of the rivers, but I can't remember the name.

Enjoy!

Edit: I think the name of the hotel is the Hillside House. I don't know how good it is but the views from there are excellent.

bring some comfy hiking shoes and walk the trail to the top. The view is still pretty sweet. Plus, not to be sick. But, the cemetary has some crazy old graves. Pretty interesting actually.

There are supposed to be a few ghosts in the area too. :)

Depends on you're crowd, but if you enjoy rock music, good prices on drinks, head on over to the bar at Cliffside Inn.

Sounds pretty cool...what part of town is that? I really don't know much about the layout of the town.

Of course the place we stay at has to be on the romantic side...but as for getting some drinks, pretty much anything goes as long as the place is cool.

ronburgundy is right, the cliffside is a good spot. it's a little outside of town, just head about 2miles south on us340, it's on the left.

the name of the place w/ the river view that china is referring to is the hilltop house.

as bufford said, be sure to take the hike up to maryland heights. there are 3 trails, one is 2+ miles, one is 4+ miles, they are park service trails and are easy to find by following the signs across the foot bridge. the other is an unofficial trial carved by the locals that only takes 15 minutes, but it's not as easy to find if you don't know what you're looking for.

also, keep in mind that harpers ferry is only 7 miles from charles town, founded by charles washington, george's brother. charles town races and slots is a good time. bet on horses, simulcast, or play the slots. if you make the trek to charles town, you might want to check out the charles washington inn, a nice little pub.

I've stayed at the Historic Hilltop Hotel... Nice, but very old. Many presidents have stayed there.

I also highly recommend the Maryland Heights trail. Bring a camera because you'll want to get a picture of the wife kids up there. It's beautiful..

As far as food goes, there's not a lot of great choices. There's good ice cream place and a standard hamburger/hotdog joint that ain't bad.

In addition to those items mentioned, there is one more slightly bizarre 'attraction' of Harpers Ferry. I remember reading about it when we did a Google search of notable things in the town before we visited a few years ago.

The item in question is the "bloody crucifix" in St. Peter's church. Image is via the url below, but be warned it is a little graphic.

http://www.geocities.com/pyroannex/shgarvey.html

I remember going on some tour there, where they told a few ghost storys.

The only one I remember was this girl who caught on fire some how by the railroad trax.

She paniced and took off running and was killed by a train.

I think her name was Jenny, and they nicked named her ghost Flaming Jenny.

But that was 20 years ago, I probably have my facts mixed up.

Thanks again everyone...

A simple pleasure if you have young kids with you is to walk from the viewpoint of the merging rivers across the railway bridge over the Potomac and see the large freight trains rumble by at close quarters. They usually blow their horn and the sound echos around the hills.

A simple pleasure if you have young kids with you is to walk from the viewpoint of the merging rivers across the railway bridge over the Potomac and see the large freight trains rumble by at close quarters. They usually blow their horn and the sound echos around the hills.

I don't have any young kids (yet) but that still sounds pretty cool. :)

Archived