Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

will rocky start?

hammer3489

NO. Not with Williams as coach.

You are correct. I have heard that evryone is praising Holdman's performance thus far. Also, Williams doesn't let rookies start right away. Carlos Rogers had to beat out Walt Harris half way through the season. Also, if I remember correctly, Sean Taylor didn't start right away either, it took a few games before he was cemented in. I could be wrong, but for some reason it is in my head that ST didn't start right away.

I'm realling hoping that Holdman is better than last year and McIntosh can wait a season. If Holdman plays like he is suppose to then we'll be fine with McIntosh on the bench.

The Holdman that played for the Bears that one season was a beast!

I believe that whoever plays this position this year can only improve it.

It's the weakest yes? However has it changed for the better since last year? Maybe Arrington wasn't 100% (never will be again) last year and Holdman claims he wasn't in shape all of last season.

CB is also a position I'm a little concerned about. Spring's injuries but Wright should be an upgrade over Harris and Jimoh should great improvement last year.

Based off this we'll see but this position was a weak point last year, and we still had a strong D.

Is this position your only "weak point" in the defense? Honest question..
I would gamble to say no. Depth at corner is a concern, we don't really know how Springs will hold up over the course of the season or just how good Kenny Wright will perform at nickel and maybe at starter if he has to, and of course there's Ade Jimoh, who is a spirited and improving player, but would be fairly shaky in just the nickel role, let alone a starting role.

After that defensive line would probably be another concern, since hopefully Andre Carter's back is fully healed and won't be a problem for us, but Daniels isn't getting any younger, and DT depth is somewhat weak after Griffin and Salave'a.

I'd actually venture to say that our linebacker core is probably one of our strongest points- we have a fair amount of guys that can step in at different sides and just play within the system without terrible drop-off. And even then, the beauty of Gregg Williams' system is that all he needs is smart, decent players at just about any position, and the coaching and packages will do the work automatically without really needing stars to fill the spots. So really, any point on our defense that could be considered "weak" might seem a little thin, but it isn't nearly as bad as it could be.:2cents:

After that defensive line would probably be another concern, since hopefully Andre Carter's back is fully healed and won't be a problem for us, but Daniels isn't getting any younger, and DT depth is somewhat weak after Griffin and Salave'a. :

I think the D-Line is stronger than ever now. OLD yes but we have a lot of experience and Wynn is our first backup now. Meaning that we will have heavy rotation on the Dline including Evans. Wynn can also sub at DT as well.

I think the D-Line is stronger than ever now. OLD yes but we have a lot of experience and Wynn is our first backup now. Meaing that we will have heavy rotation on the Dline including Evans. Wynn can also sub at DT as well.
Which is why I also said that even any point that could be considered a "weakness" isn't really as bad as it may seem. It might be one of our thinner areas, but that doesn't mean it's anything really bad, just not as stacked as linebacker or maybe even safety.

Wynn's health is important to the line. He is expected to be ready although he still has a way to go. The line has good depth with Wynn healthy. Rocky will not start, but this does not mean it is a weak spot. We are loaded at the LB position and many are interchangable. He should start games farther into the season. Our S and CB positions are extemely strong, but depth is a mild concern if a starter goes down for a length of time. I do however feel we are better off at DB depth than many other teams.

I suspect he will be gradually worked in to the defense. At first, Williams will put him in for obvious passing situations to see how he does there. If he passes his tests and proves his mettle, he will be given more responsibility as the saeason wears on.

It also depends a lot on how Holdman does. All reports indicate that Holdman is ready to vindicate himself from last years' ho-hum performance. If this proves to be the case, Rocky will have a pretty tough time cracking the starting lineup this year.

With Holdman being praised early on this season, it seems that he will be the predominant starter however I think McIntosh has a good chance to start around midway through the season. I think we'll see him on special teams and situational plays early on.

I know people love to pump the GW doesn't start rookies thing, but lets not forget:

1) ST was coming off major disciplinary problems from the Rookie Symposium.

2) Carlos Rogers was still rehabbing from his hairline fracture in his foot and was way out of game shape still (ie: getting burned in the Cinci game)

If Rocky is healthy and looks the best he will get 50% of the snaps, though I guess maybe not start. GW said he could start though and looked good enough to.

Oh well, if Warrick really is back in game shape that is great, I'll believe it when I see it though. I still remember the slow moving guy who tackled like a folding chair and was the albatross of an otherwise elite defense.

I know people love to pump the GW doesn't start rookies thing, but lets not forget:

1) ST was coming off major disciplinary problems from the Rookie Symposium.

2) Carlos Rogers was still rehabbing from his hairline fracture in his foot and was way out of game shape still (ie: getting burned in the Cinci game)

If Rocky is healthy and looks the best he will get 50% of the snaps, though I guess maybe not start. GW said he could start though and looked good enough to.

Oh well, if Warrick really is back in game shape that is great, I'll believe it when I see it though. I still remember the slow moving guy who tackled like a folding chair and was the albatross of an otherwise elite defense.

That a good point but I still think Holdman will get the start mainly because McIntosh will need a learning curve in Gregg Williams eyes which may be a smart thing to do early on.

Rocky will not start the year just williams M.O. I was also just wondering why is there this concren for springs health? When again was he injured for the skins?

Springs had some "nicks" last season but I'm not concerned for him at all.

Well, most defensive players would tell you it doesn't matter who starts, the way Williams rotates his personnel in and out in various packages. I think a better gauge of his development will be playing time. I'm sure he'll see his fair share eventually this year, through injury or otherwise. I don't think he'll set the league on fire or anything though. It's going to take time.

He's gonna need to get comfortable with the system before GW starts him. However I can see him stepping in later in the season. Holdman seems to be having a good offseason so it would be extremely tough for Rocky to get the starting nod.:2cents:

Just remember Rocky is hella smart in addition to the fact that we know he is a great athlete - I just hope his career is injury free (major anyway).

I have a feeling Rocky will return an INT for a TD this season - his cover skills and leaping ability are sick, as far as setting the league on fire I don't forsee that happening either.

Archived