Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Looks like Nick could be fighting Sakurai in Japan this October, then in the states for the WW title against Hieron in November or December. There's also talk of his marijuana prescription, apparently it's for ADHD lol.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/diaz-eyes-oct-dream-rep-meets-with-csac-19178

Diaz Eyes Oct. Dream, Rep Meets With CSAC

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Loretta Hunt

While his re-licensure in California remains a work in progress, Nick Diaz is in talks to fight for Dream in October.

Cesar Gracie, Diaz’s longtime trainer and manager, met with Dream Event Producer Keiichi Sasahara at Strikeforce this past weekend in San Jose, Calif., to discuss the possibility of Diaz competing either Oct. 6 or 22. Gracie said Sasahara expressed an interest in the outspoken 28-year-old facing Japanese legend Hayato Sakurai, but that talks were in the preliminary stages.

Strikeforce announced an alliance with the Japanese promotion a few weeks ago, and the two have already begun an open exchange of talent that saw Dream’s Mitsuhiro Ishida compete on Saturday’s card.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said he was “100 percent” open to Diaz competing overseas next, while Gracie said Diaz could return to Strikeforce for one of its November or December events.

Gracie said he’s been told Diaz will fight for the promotion’s welterweight title at that time.

Diaz was pulled from Saturday’s championship bout against Jay Hieron after the Stockton native did not take a pre-fight drug test required for his re-licensure in the state. Gracie said Diaz has a medical prescription for marijuana to treat the hyperactivity disorder ADHD and wasn’t given proper warning that his fighter would be tested per an arrangement he said was made with former CSAC Executive Officer Armando Garcia. Hieron went on to earn a unanimous decision against late replacement Jesse Taylor in a non-title bout on Saturday.

At a post-fight press conference, Coker said Hieron, who turned down a UFC contract to join Strikeforce, will fight Diaz for the title, although the timing of the bout is up in the air.

“It might be that Nick can’t fight (for Strikeforce) till the end of the year and Jay fights in-between there,” said Coker, “but that’s a fight we definitely want to put together because we made a commitment to Jay and we want to keep that commitment.”

Meanwhile, Gracie met with CSAC officials on Friday to discuss Diaz’s re-licensing and the testing procedures he will be placed under moving forward.

Gracie and CSAC Assistant Executive Officer Bill Douglas discussed the possibility of the state agency adopting a “Theraputic Usage Exemption” program, utilized by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA). According to the WADA Web site, a TUE would allow an athlete to take medication that appears on the WADA Prohibited list without facing penalties.

Clarifying statements Gracie made to Sherdog.com last week, the trainer said an arrangement to test Diaz only on the night of his scheduled bouts was made between Diaz’ former employer, Pro Elite, and Garcia. Gracie also specified that the promotion relayed the agreement to him, not Garcia.

Both Gracie and Douglas told Sherdog.com that a former Pro Elite employee also attended the meeting to corroborate Gracie’s assertion that an agreement had been in place. Douglas said he had no knowledge of the agreement prior to Gracie telling him.

Gracie said he hopes Diaz will be granted an exemption for marijuana while out of competition, and that the fighter will abide by the testing procedures during competition.

“He does need (marijuana),” said Gracie. “He has ADHD and he’s had a prescription for Ritalin since he was a kid. He doesn’t want to take that. That’s worse than pot.”

Douglas called the meeting “extremely positive.”

“We don’t have a TUE program in California yet, not to say we won’t,” Douglas told Sherdog.com Monday. “I pledged to have the CSAC staff work with Gracie and his reps, because putting a TUE program together to present to the commission will take time and effort, as well as feedback from many parties. We can put the plan together, but ultimately the commission has to vote for it.”

Douglas said the first step will be to secure a date to present the idea to the commission board, but noted that if the commission is receptive, the entire process of incorporating the system could take up to a year.

In the meantime, Gracie said Diaz could be tested for re-licensure as early as in a few weeks. Gracie said Diaz would cease using marijuana during that time in order to pass the necessary testing.

Douglas recommended Diaz be ready for the testing this time around.

“I think that as soon as he finds out he has a fight, he’d need to do what he needs to,” said Douglas.

Looks like Bisping vs. Wandy probably won't happen this year. Might be a good thing for Wandy to get some time off. Although I'm not sure how much the scar-tissue removal will help him, but we'll see.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15906/michael-bisping-not-meeting-wanderlei-silva-in-manchesters-ufc-105-main-event.mma

Michael Bisping not meeting Wanderlei Silva in Manchester's UFC 105 main event

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Aug 19, 2009 at 9:35 am ET

A planned bout between Michael Bisping (17-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) and Wanderlei Silva (32-10-1 MMA, 2-5 UFC) that was likely to headline UFC 105 in Manchester, England, has been scratched.

In a recent blog post penned by Bisping on his official Web site, the British fighter said Silva's recent facial surgery will keep "The Axe Murderer" out of competition, possibly until 2010.

A source close to the event told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that officials hope to find a suitable replacement so Bisping remains in the main event of the overseas show.

UFC 105 takes place Nov. 14 at the Manchester Evening News Arena and airs (via tape delay) on Spike TV.

During festivities for UFC 101 earlier this month, UFC president Dana White said the organization had a "fight in mind" for the UFC 105 main event but that "it's not set yet." Just a couple weeks prior, MMAjunkie.com reported the Bisping vs. Silva fight was in the works but not signed.

Although Silva has not confirmed the procedure, the fighter is believed to have undergone surgery to remove scar tissue from his face. Other fighters such as Marcus Davis and Nick Diaz have undergone such surgeries in recent years with positive results. However, if true, the fighter will likely need extended time to heal.

As for Bisping, when he does return to the octagon, he looks to rebound from a devastating knockout loss to Dan Henderson at UFC 100 in July. The defeat was just the second in Bisping's MMA career, and it ended a three-fight win streak for "The Ultimate Fighter 3" winner.

For the latest on UFC 105, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9410&zoneid=2

According to a new rule passed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission Wednesday, referees in Nevada now have the opportunity to get a second look at a fight’s end to determine its legality.

The final wording as passed: “A referee at the conclusion of a contest or exhibition stopped immediately due to an injury to an unarmed combatant pursuant to NAC 467.718 and after making a decision, may view a replay if available in order to determine whether the injury in question was caused a legal blow or a foul.”

The rule addresses several controversial stoppages in recent history where a fighter lost a contest because the referee couldn’t see an injury that forced a bout’s stoppage.

A referee may now use instant replay to determine whether the action that caused the injury was legal or a foul and make a decision on the fight’s result. Only a referee can decide whether to order a replay.

In one of the most prominent examples of the need to address injury stoppages, UFC welterweight Anthony Johnson was unintentionally poked in the eye by Kevin Burns at UFC Fight Night 14 last July and was denied an appeal to his TKO loss due to the commission’s “lack of remedy” on the incident.

After a discussion on the issues surrounding the new rule, the five-member commission passed it by unanimous vote. NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer told MMAWeekly.com the rule could take effect in as early as 30 days.

hopefully the other commissions do this as well

http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Report-Carwin-Velasquez-scrapped,-Brock-Lesnar-vs-Shane-Carwin-at-UFC-106.html

Minnesota Martial Arts Academy released a series of shocking tweets Wednesday night revealing that UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar will face Shane Carwin at UFC 106 in Las Vegas, NV on Nov. 21. Messages were left with Velasquez's representatives, but there is no word out of his camp at this time.

Below are the tweets in question:

from Seesmic

• Don't know about Cain. Just heard they offered Lesnar a fight with Carwin.

from Seesmic in reply to dmiller21

• I clicked a wrong key. It is actually UFC 106. It will be at Mandalay Bay in Vegas. UFC 105 is in England.

from Seesmic

Word of the potential matchup spread around the MMA blogoshere like wildfire, eventually reaching the ears of Carwin himself.

"Lots of talk going around right now," Carwin blogged on his personal website. "It seems to stem from a twitter post out of MN. I can't confirm or deny anything I can just tell you guys that I am training harder then ever and your support and loyalty will carry me through any fight they send my way. With you guys on my side I am ready for whatever happens. Stay tuned to the site or UFC.com for any official news about me.

Although confirmation from official sources has yet to be directly established, Lesnar's representatives appear to have confirmed the news via twitter and Carwin wouldn't deny the news, making it likely.

They question at this point becomes: Why was Velasquez passed over and, if healthy, who will he face at UFC 104?

We'll have more on this breaking story as soon as news becomes available

its not on the major mma websites yet, so it might not be official

but if this is true Cain is getting screwed if he's not injured

Found it here too SU:

http://www.examiner.com/x-2854-Dallas-Martial-Arts-Examiner~y2009m8d20-Brock-Lesnar-to-fight-Carwin-at-UFC-106-video

And I agree Cain is definitely getting screwed if he's not injured but to be honest this is the fight that most of us really wanted to see.

only thing is, Cain has a much a right to the shot as Carwin does. thats why there were fighting to see who deserved it more

only thing is, Cain has a much a right to the shot as Carwin does. thats why there were fighting to see who deserved it more

True, but I think with Carwin it's just the size thing that makes the Brock matchup so intriguing.

But you're right, ideally the winner of Carwin/Velasquez should've been the next at the title shot.

Also, I know that Wikipedia isn't a reliable source but it says this under Carwin's profile:

Carwin's was then due to face Cain Velasquez at UFC 104, with the winner getting a title shot against Brock Lesnar.[5] However, Velasquez suffered an undisclosed injury and so Carwin has now been named the #1 contender for the UFC Heavyweight title and will face Lesnar at UFC 106.

Maybe there could be something to it?

Edited by #98QBKiller

True, but I think with Carwin it's just the size thing that makes the Brock matchup so intriguing.

But you're right, ideally the winner of Carwin/Velasquez should've been the next at the title shot.

i give a carwin a puncher's chance and not much more

fortunately for Carwin thats all he needs to end a fight

it'll be interesting to see how his cardio holds up. dude never been out the first round, let alone a 5rd fight

the injury to cain makes everything cool then, nobody's getting screwed if thats the case

Edited by StillUnknown

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/8/12/987298/anderson-silva-set-to-draw-big-on

Leading indicators on UFC 101 look very good. A couple of trending patterns put it right up there with the UFC's top shows at the end of 2008 in terms of overall interest, and traffic at this website the night of the show was almost as huge as it was for UFC 100. It's early, but it looks like like the show may have done over 800,000 buys. Dave Meltzer implied in his newsletter today that it might have even done a million buys. With that huge audience, Silva put on a legendary performance that will never be forgotten. His first fight with Dan Henderson did 325,000 buys; a rematch would probably do a minimum of 500,000.

Anderson Silva still won't draw opposite guys like Yushin Okami and Nate Marquardt, but if he's against a charismatic underdog that fans believe in they will pay to see it. Fights with Rampage Jackson and Tito Ortiz would probably do a lot of business, and fights with GSP or Randy Couture would almost surely break the million buy threshold.

We hear a lot about Anderson's pending retirement, but I am skeptical he will really stop fighting in 3 fights. He's been upset with poor payouts on his contract because his shows haven't done that well, but if he starts making millions of dollars per fight like he will for UFC 101, I suspect he will reconsider. Two or three UFC fights that draw like this will net him more than any fight with Roy Jones would, and he's obviously still at his athletic peak. The threat to leave and fight Roy Jones is an effective tool that got Silva a better contract, and it will probably be used again to get an even better contract. With so many big fights on the horizon and so much money on the table, Anderson Silva probably isn't going anywhere.

UFC 100 did over 1.5mil in buyrates. the fact that UFC 101 can do close to 1mil just a short 30 days after in this economy is amazing

although i disagree with the part about Anderson using a roy jones fight to get a better deal. Anderson is dead set on fighting that dude

Edited by StillUnknown

mania:

UFC 104: Ben Rothwell vs Cain Velasquez booked for Oct. 24

By: Jesse Holland

On the heels of Shane Carwin being scratched from UFC 104 to challenge Brock Lesnar for the division title in November, MMAmania.com (www.mmamania.com) has learned that former IFL and Affliction heavyweight standout Ben Rothwell has agreed to step in for “The Engineer” versus Cain Velasquez on Oct. 24.

Rothwell is coming off a dominating technical knockout win over Chris Guillen at Adrenaline II back in Dec. 2008. Prior to that, “Big” was riding a career high 13-fight win streak before running into former UFC heavyweight champion, Andrei Arlovski, during the inaugural Affliction event in July 2008 .

Before the loss, he had defeated former UFC champion Ricco Rodriguez, The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 8 standout Krzysztof Soszynski, Roy “Big Country” Nelson and others.

The Miletich Fighting Systems (MFS)-trained fighter was on course to throw hands with Chase Gormley at the same event however, the UFC quickly shuffled the deck after Carwin’s departure.

---------

I like the switch. It is more likely now that Brock will fight both of them quicker. Cain needs a fight like Rothwell to test him. One more win and he'll get the winner of Brock-Nog (after Brock and Nog win).

Cain's getting screwed in that case

both he & carwin have similar resumes, neither deserves a shot at the title anymore than the other

i'd be kinda pissed if i was cain

Carwin has looked more impressive. Cain will get his shot if he takes care of business. He is a young fighter that many believe has not reached his potential yet. I think Brock would kill him right now. In a year or so, maybe not.

Carwin has looked more impressive. Cain will get his shot if he takes care of business. He is a young fighter that many believe has not reached his potential yet. I think Brock would kill him right now. In a year or so, maybe not.

they both have 1 win against a credible opponent

otherwise they've both destroyed cans

i'm just lookin at it from his point of view. he's gone from being potentially one fight away from a title shot, to being at least 2 fights away through absolutely no fault of his own

Edited by StillUnknown

they both have 1 win against a credible opponent

otherwise they've both destroyed cans

i'm just lookin at it from his point of view. he's gone from being potentially one fight away from a title shot, to being at least 2 fights away through absolutely no fault of his own

He should give Karo a call.

Anderson to Heavyweight?

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/8/20/996538/josh-gross-anderson-silva-wants-to

Anderson Silva wants big-money event fights. And he's willing to work at heavyweight to make sure they happen.

Not only that, they already had an opponent in mind: Frank Mir.

Disinterested by middleweight contenders Nathan Marquardt, Demian Maia and Dan Henderson, and unwilling to fight close friend Lyoto Machida at light heavyweight -- where Silva could conceivably knock off challengers and make a disaster out of the UFC's marquee division -- "The Spider" needs new, challenging scenarios to stay motivated. A move to heavyweight would certainly achieve that, and according to Silva's manager Ed Soares, the UFC was receptive to the idea.

There is a bit of logic to the move; Anderson Silva won't fight Lyoto Machida, so having him tear through the 205 division makes no sense. He's a little bit smaller than Randy Couture, though without a wrestling background his size will be a liability at heavyweight. I actually think that if they go this route a fight with Randy makes a lot more sense from a business and sports perspective.

I don't really like all the weight class jumping, especially two classes. Brock Lesnar vs. Anderson Silva? It sounds more like a freakshow fight than a marquee title match, though it would undoubtedly do huge business, and you could argue that Anderson is about the same size as Randy. It just strikes me as a little galling to ask the UFC to jump through all these hoops to keep their champion motivated.