Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need computer troubleshooting help

HokieJ

Ok this started 2 days ago out of nowhere.

On bootup, we get the Windows logo with the little bar below it on screen for like 3 seconds, bios flashes quickly, then the dell logo with their bar gets on teh scren for about 3 seconds then blank. Then nothing else on the screen.

I cannot get it to display anything long enough to boot to safe mode.

It's a Dell, all the hardware is 4+ years old. Monitor is an LCD i just got for Xmas.

Ideas?

could be alot of things, Memory, CPU, power supply, just to name a few. Does it stay on or does it cut itself off?

Also since it is 4 years old you need to just scrap it and buy a new computer and take your old hard drive and install it into the new one. at least that is what I would do

I've got a similar problem on one of my home computers. It's also about four years old, but a Gateway. It doesn't always happen, but on booting I get the Windows screen, the little status bar fills up once, then the bios flashes and it auto-reboots. When it comes back up again, I get the error screen asking if I'd like to start in safe mode, use last working settings, etc. If I start in safe mode, then tell it shut down, it will often restart fine after a few minutes sitting off.

Anyone have a clue what's causing this?

This most definitely sounds like a system board issue or power supply issue.

I work with IBM's and Dell's all day and the symptoms sound the same.

a) PC will randomly reboot itself

B) PC boots up and then keeps rebooting over and over

c) PC just shutsoff randomly

d) PC will not turn on but there are power lights showing

ok a little clarification.

I only get flashes of each screen, not the full screen time.

I hit f8 to try to select safe mode but the screen display doesn't say on long enough to select it.

I went and bought a new hard drive and video card and probably will just stick those in and start all over and see what that does. Both of those components are pushing 5 years old and need replacing anyways.

It's not restarting itself or anythnig like that.

Is it shutting off though? Is the system turning itself off after it flashes the screens? That's a very important answer. You should pick up a power supply at the store and try replacing that as well as the harddrive and graphics card.

I need some help too!! (Hope you don't mind me jumping in!)

I have a computer that just keeps restarting.....I cannot get it to boot into safe mode.

I have since gotten a new computer, but I have a bunch of stuff I want to get off the old one...any ideas?

install the old hard drive in the new computer

NO it does not restart itself. It's booting up to the point where I would pick which profile I want for Windows and it stops. The only way I can get it to turn off or reboot is to manually turn the unit on and off.

NO it does not restart itself. It's booting up to the point where I would pick which profile I want for Windows and it stops. The only way I can get it to turn off or reboot is to manually turn the unit on and off.

what are the computer's specs, and what version of windows do you run?

Do you have more than one copy of Windows installed (e.g. dual boot machine)? I'm trying to figure out where in the boot sequence you are when it goes south. It sounds like you should be able to get into your boot options. I would boot to your CD, run the recovery console, and do a chkdsk to see if there is anything wrong with your harddisk.

Archived