Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Power Rankings - Skins ranked number 6.

Abshir

Link to Article

6. WASHINGTON

2005 records: 11-7 overall, 6-6 vs. quality opponents (lost divisional playoffs)

was.gifOffseason activity: Offensive coordinator Al Saunders comes over from Kansas City, where his offenses ranked in the top five in each of his five seasons. Washington sacrificed this year’s first-round pick to draft quarterback Jason Campbell out of Auburn in 2005. The passing game should be bolstered by the additions of Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El.

Cold, Hard Football Facts: If the AFC didn’t exist, the Redskins might have been Super Bowl champs last year. They were 0-4 vs. the AFC West and 11-3 (including playoffs) vs. the NFC.

This by far is the closest rankings I have come across for the off-season. We were one bad call (Alstott non-touchdown) in being a second seeded team in the playoffs. We filled most of our gaping holes and we are starting to see cohesion and camaraderie amongst the team. I personally think (homerism intended) that we should be ranked number 1 or two. last year we had a horrible time with AFC teams this year is payback. Also have you noticed how we keep creeping up the rankings even though they maybe meaningless now.

Good analysis except for this part: "If the AFC didn’t exist, the Redskins might have been Super Bowl champs last year. They were 0-4 vs. the AFC West and 11-3 (including playoffs) vs. the NFC."

We were booted out of the playoffs by an NFC team, so this is a little bit of a pointless fact... :doh:

[quote name=Abshir

Cold, Hard Football Facts:[/i][/b] If the AFC didn’t exist, the Redskins might have been Super Bowl champs last year. They were 0-4 vs. the AFC West and 11-3 (including playoffs) vs. the NFC.

That is very interesting. I have never thought of it that way before.

I like getting respect but I'm not sure how impressed I am with the site.

I followed a link and came across this little blurb. It was written in mid-May, two weeks after the draft.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=804

"The Redskins had just one statistical weakness last year: their passing game. This inability to pass the ball was made obvious last year in the playoffs, when Washington mounted just 120 yards of total offense and a sickly 25 yards through the air in a playoff win over Tampa. The ‘Skins did nothing to address this need in the draft and have done little in the offseason. It’s hard to believe free-agent signings Antwaan Randle El at wide receiver and Christian Fauria at tight end will turn around a relatively inept passing attack. Washington seemed more interested in stocking up on a defense that was among the best in the league last year. The Redskins devoted five of its six picks, including its first four, to defenders."

i can never get myself to agree or disagree with rankings. i for one know that the players we have a really good and are capable to get to the super bowl. i also know that they haven't played together. al saunders is a big factor in this because everyone from last years team has to learn something new now. so it's almost like everyone is starting all over again (almost). so we could be mediocre, but we have great potential to be the best.

so with that said, i like to read the analysis of the team (which i agree with in this post), but the rankings i could care less about.

Good analysis except for this part: "If the AFC didn’t exist, the Redskins might have been Super Bowl champs last year. They were 0-4 vs. the AFC West and 11-3 (including playoffs) vs. the NFC."

We were booted out of the playoffs by an NFC team, so this is a little bit of a pointless fact... :doh:

yes, but we would've posted a very nice record, which mightve granted us a home game or even a bye week, so we might not have lost to seattle, at least in different circumstances.

I think his point is more like they may have had home field if not for AFC.

The Point he was making we would have had homefield had we not had to play the afc games

12. N.Y. GIANTS

2005 records: 11-6, 4-5 vs. quality opponents (lost wild-card playoffs)

Offseason activity: The Giants took major steps toward retooling a defense that ranked 24th in yards allowed. Free agency brought LB LaVar Arrington and three new members of the secondary (Sam Madison, R.W. McQuarters and Will Demps), all of whom were starters in 2005. The Giants also went defense with three of their top four draft picks.

Cold, Hard Football Facts: Eli Manning threw 15 interceptions and only 10 touchdowns over the second half of the season and in the 23-0 playoff loss to Carolina. The Manning Boys were on the losing end of the NFL's last two playoff shutouts

16. DALLAS (9-7, 4-5 vs. quality opponents) – Prior to being shelved by Philly last year, Terrell Owens had seen his teams go 93-58 (.616) collectively.

17. PHILADELPHIA (6-10, 2-8 vs. quality opponents) – Donovan McNabb's rushing totals have declined six straight years, to 55 yards in 2005 (which is just 55 yards more than the CHFF crew had, and we haven't seen our shoes since Live Aid).

I think he means we would be a different seed, therefore not playing in Seattle.

I like getting respect but I'm not sure how impressed I am with the site.

I followed a link and came across this little blurb. It was written in mid-May, two weeks after the draft.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=804

"The Redskins had just one statistical weakness last year: their passing game. This inability to pass the ball was made obvious last year in the playoffs, when Washington mounted just 120 yards of total offense and a sickly 25 yards through the air in a playoff win over Tampa. The ‘Skins did nothing to address this need in the draft and have done little in the offseason. It’s hard to believe free-agent signings Antwaan Randle El at wide receiver and Christian Fauria at tight end will turn around a relatively inept passing attack. Washington seemed more interested in stocking up on a defense that was among the best in the league last year. The Redskins devoted five of its six picks, including its first four, to defenders."

What about the addition of Al Saunders to run the offense. The acquisition of Saunders is more important than that of any individual player. On top of that we get three new, veteran receivers.

This article is about as bad as the rest of them, maybe worse! :insane:

Steelers #1, They lost one of the best RB's in history(wich their whole offense revolves around) especially when it comes to short yardage and who knows if thier QB will even be able to play. They will be lucky to make the playoffs.

Denver #3, They have no passing game and it want get any better with JP. Rod Smith is getting old and who knows how J. Walker will be after his injury. They were also ranked 29th against the pass last year.

Kansas City #8, The Chiefs will be nowhere as good as they have been after loosing Vermiel and Saunders. Herm Edwards is probably the most over-rated coach's in the NFL. A good personality dosen't=a good coach.

Skins #6, Name any team in the NFL who has a more complete team or a better coaching staff. Any ranking below #3 is just rediculous.

Cincinnati #15, Did this guy even watch any of the NFL last year.

Cowboys #16, Did this guy ever hear of injuries and does he know that TO now plays for them giving them the best duo of WR's in the NFL probably.

Giants #12, How does winning the NFC East and adding players in the offseason and Eli getting another year of experience make them worse.

New England #7, Brady is good but he can't do it all and if the Patriots continue to loose players to other teams and injuries it want be long before they are near the bottom of the league again.

Here's my top 10. Since I don't have my own web site I don't know how meaningful it really is though.

#1 Skins- Yep, it's true like I said before name any other team in the NFL that is more complete and has a better coaching staff.

#2 Seattle- They had the best offense in the league last year and they have a decent deffense. I still don't believe Hasselback is a star though.

#3 Colts- The team that should have won the Super Bowl last year. Loosing their RB and K could really hurt this team though more than people think.

#4 Cincinnati- assuming Carson Palmer is able to play any where near he did before the injury.

#5 Panthers- Great defense but still a questionable offense and Keyshawn Johnson isn't going to make them much better if any.

#6 Giants- adding more players on defense and Eli another year older will only make them better.

#7 Jacksonville- Probably the biggest and most physical team in the league and with a healthy Fred Taylor could go all the way. This team really needs to be in the NFC East.

#8 Cowboys- adding TO will make this team alot better assuming he dosen't have another mental breakdown and gives them the best duo at WR in the league and it will be almost impossible to match up against both TO and Glenn. Injuries really hurt them last year.

#9 Miami- The most improved team in the league last year and will probably be again this year after their offseason moves.

#10 Bears- If this team ever finds a offense they will be scary!

Honerable mention goes to Tampa, Atlanta, San Diego and the Steelers. San Diego would have easily made the list but trading away Drew B. might be the dumbest move in NFL history.

Archived