Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I hate company meetings...

Baculus

...They are nothing but a pure annoyance to me, and I find as irritating as having to wait at the MVA. Thus, I have decided that there are several categories of folks in these meetings. Keep in mind that these categories may overlap:

1. The Question Asker - This is the guy or gal that asks every single question that pops up in their self-important heads. It doesn't matter if this question has any relevance to the meeting-at-hand, if they think of it, they will ask it. I am not sure if this comes from some need for attention or self-absorption, but they typically extend the meeting duration to 50% of its length if they would have simply kept quiet.

2. The Clown - Full of jokes and fun, this meeting participant tries to find humor in questions or snips, but usually it is some inside joke to a team or a few people, with lots of knowing glances and guffaws. This meeting attendee will add a further 25% to the meeting length since folks tend to chat after a particularly supposed clever remark.

3. The Lord - This person is usually a manager, team lead, or senior company member, and their questions are IMPORTANT. Usually posed with a slow, self-assured manner, their questions usually do not add any sort of knowledge to anyone listening, but they are none-to-happy to make sure that their QUESTION is listened to and answered. The Lord is often accompanied by a large belly or an awkward mustache.

4. Ms. Bubbly - Ms. Bubbly LOVES meetings, loves to add input, though her input really adds little. But she just LOVES seeing everyone in the meeting - because it is so GOOD to see you! So she usually spends time attempting to be a social butterfly, while more often simply interrupting the speaker who may actually be trying to state something of value.

5. The Hater - This is me. I hate meetings, I can't stand to hear someone intoning some question that is answered if you'd READ THE HANDOUTS, and every time the questioner opens up his mouth with another Wonderlic-scoring question, you grind your teeth. The Hater simply wants to leave and return to his desk and the peace and quiet of his office space. The Hater often spends time staring at the ceiling, sighing softly to himself, and has thoughts of "Why must I work with these people" as he thinks wistfully of the Redskins playing football.

6. The Herd - This is everyone else. They often either cackle with glee at The Clown's jokes, even if they don't quite get the joke, and they'll quietly participate in the meeting, though they may find themselves transforming to one of the above participants. Be aware that the Herd can easily be manipulated by a particularly powerful member of the above company meeting caste, so be prepared to flee the meeting room if the Herd suddenly becomes The Question Asker, for you will find little hope of escape!

Ok...Phew, I feel better. :-)

Man, you need to do what our office does. We have a few people including myself who participate in a game of Bingo. It cost you 2.00 per player and this is how the game goes.

Draw up a bingo board and put in words that the most vocal person in the meeting seems to always say. First one to black out their board wins.

It makes the meetings go so fast!!

The Rewinder - Someone who brings up an issue that has been thrashed to hades and back, usually after some time has passed and several other topics have been addressed. Especially true if said issue had been considered resolved. Exquisitely painful if "The Rewinder" is sufficiently important to hogtie the discussion. Again.

I run the operations meeting at my company that we have every tuesday.

Development, implementation, system admin, vice president, bout 20 people ....

33 minutes was the last one :), no pauses allowed in my meetings I got things to do.. and the spreadsheet i keep has the weeks you've been working on it.... better keep up. You want to ask questions about details? Take it offline.

The prankster group- The group, usually in pairs or at most a group of three that joke with each other throughout the entire meeting. If you're a "Hater", you may feel compelled to join in, or at the very least acknowledge the fact that they, like you, find the meeting useless. If you're a "Lord", you frown with disdain and think about how much better you are than these people.

3. The Lord - This person is usually a manager, team lead, or senior company member, and their questions are IMPORTANT. Usually posed with a slow, self-assured manner, their questions usually do not add any sort of knowledge to anyone listening, but they are none-to-happy to make sure that their QUESTION is listened to and answered. The Lord is often accompanied by a large belly or an awkward mustache.

IMO worst of all. I call some of these meetings (don't hate me) and I secretly hate this one. Yes, large belly. Yes, awkward mustache. I can't hate out loud, but I'm glad you posted!

Nothing makes me more irrate than the question asker.

Just stop already!!!!!

Same here. We have one in our company - and there are a few people who want to pound him into submission. Nothing like dragging a meeting out 15-20 minutes longer with stupid questions....

brown-noser--someone who agrees with everything the boss says and tries to anticipate their opinion. if the boss recognizes what the brown-noser is doing, he/she can really make a fool out the brown-noser. the brown-noser's most annoying trait/skill is the ability to repeat the same thing someone just said using different words.

Great replies so far!

The Prune - The Prune often says little, but usually communicates his or her feelings with facial expressions, body language, and a general air of dismissal, haughtiness, or has issues with overly restrictive underwear. Often sitting in the corner with crossed arms and a puckered face, The Prune is not to be confused with the Hater, who simply does not care for such company affairs and may be seen with the Prankster Group. In contrast, the Prune, who is often a loner but may accompany the Lord on occasion, is usually more often manangement and feels that lower tier employees are...well, lower tier and inconsequential. He or she may say little, but when the Prune speaks, such words are supposed to be deeply appreciated - in reality, they are not. The Prune is also known by a company nickname: "The A**hole."

Archived