Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Congressman Moran: "Going to Earmark the **** Out of It"

Guest Gichin13

Guest Gichin13

Not sure if folks saw this, and it is a bit later (I have been busy the last week or two).

At the Arlington County Democratic Party "JJ" Dinner on June 10, Congressman Jim Moran made some pretty funny remarks:

Moran, D-8th, told those attending the Arlington County Democratic Committee's annual Jefferson-Jackson Day dinner on June 9 that while he in theory might oppose the fiscal irresponsibility of “earmarks” - funneling money to projects in a member of Congress's district - he understands the value they have to constituents.

“When I become chairman [of a House appropriations subcommittee], I'm going to earmark the **** out of it,” Moran buoyantly told a crowd of 450 attending the event.

Quote is from the Arlington Sun Gazette, here is the link to the full article:

http://sungazette.net/articles/2006/06/11/arlington/news/nws936e.txt

This is definitely not misquoted ... seems like same ****, different party to me, but I guess no one should be surprised.

Moran is just a loopy dude. Remember when he challenged Marion Barry to a charity boxing match? I was hoping they'd both get knocked out. Alas, nothing came of it - one of Moran's more successful initiatives.

I'm officially holding my breath until voters stop electing representatives based upon their ability to distribute pork.

Unless someone is talking about seriously changing the way appropriations are made in congress, it is irresponsible for a congressman to not fight for as many earmarks for his districts as he can. The congressmens job is to fight for his constituents needs. Paying for everyone else's pork and getting nothing in return is in no one's interest. My guess is he was half-joking. You can oppose earmarks all you want, but until structural change is made, you should still try to get as many as you possibly can for your district.

Guest Gichin13
Hard to tell from the article if he was joking.

I was actually there ... it was delivered as a punchline, but I think everyone in the audience also knew he definitely meant it.

Moran, to his credit, is incredibly good at bringing home federal dollars to his contituents even as a minority congressman. I think the remark was not very well considered. It also got a huge response from the crowd ....

Unless someone is talking about seriously changing the way appropriations are made in congress, it is irresponsible for a congressman to not fight for as many earmarks for his districts as he can. The congressmens job is to fight for his constituents needs. Paying for everyone else's pork and getting nothing in return is in no one's interest. My guess is he was half-joking. You can oppose earmarks all you want, but until structural change is made, you should still try to get as many as you possibly can for your district.

Sadly, this is pretty much true.

You and I seem to have different opinions of Congress' job.

I think Congress' job is to fight for the nations needs.

Granted, that's not what wins elections. But now we're talking about "is" as opposed to "should be".

You and I seem to have different opinions of Congress' job.

I think Congress' job is to fight for the nations needs.

Granted, that's not what wins elections. But now we're talking about "is" as opposed to "should be".

We need to change our government then, what we have now, district by district is doing exactly what Iggy said. And, if that is what the voters vote for then that is what we get. We ought to stop blaming the politicians and start blaming the people that vote for them.

If we had a government were reps and senators were elected nationally then this problem would be solved but others will pop up.

Also, a line item veto could fix this, but has problems of its own, like constitutionality among others.

Guest Gichin13
We need to change our government then, what we have now, district by district is doing exactly what Iggy said. And, if that is what the voters vote for then that is what we get. We ought to stop blaming the politicians and start blaming the people that vote for them.

If we had a government were reps and senators were elected nationally then this problem would be solved but others will pop up.

Also, a line item veto could fix this, but has problems of its own, like constitutionality among others.

great post, quite perceptive. I particularly agree with this:

We ought to stop blaming the politicians and start blaming the people that vote for them.

Oh, I'm with you. (And a lot of other people.)

Want to know why we've got a defecit? Look in a mirror.

Wonder why campaigns are so negative? They work.

Archived