Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Archuleta's words.....

FuriousD

While watching Archuleta on redskins.com, I was struck by the comment "there are alot of new concepts that I've never really been exposed to in my career" when asked, in essence, how he was adapting to life with the skins.

And I'm thinking, 'scuse my ignorance, how many different concepts are there that a 5 year veteran safety of the NFL is on a whole new learning curve?

What the hell is Williams teaching these guys?

This kid has been playing football seriously for 9 years or so (4 college / 5 pro) what could possibly be so foreign?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Am I reading too much into this or are the cover 2 and the 46 really worlds apart?

Help me out, you guys with the big football brains!

Thanks in advance.

:helmet:

:dallasuck

I don't think it's so much learning that a cover 2 safety plays half the field. I think it's learning a lot of the specialized defenses (such as the responsibility of the safety pre- and post-snap on the double-corner blitz with both DTs dropping in short zone coverage after first dogging that Williams calls).

In addition, Williams does a lot of disguising coverages, so it's not just a matter of learning calls, but it's not just knowing the technique to play a cover 2, but also learning the proper technique to learn to play a cover 2 after the snap while showing a cover 1 before the snap.

Not even to mention how much Williams likes to use his safeties. He'll even line them up as CBs and even LBs on occasion.

It's a pretty big departure from the standard vanilla safety position you see in a cover 2.

I don't think it's so much learning that a cover 2 safety plays half the field. I think it's learning a lot of the specialized defenses (such as the responsibility of the safety pre- and post-snap on the double-corner blitz with both DTs dropping in short zone coverage after first dogging that Williams calls).

In addition, Williams does a lot of disguising coverages, so it's not just a matter of learning calls, but it's not just knowing the technique to play a cover 2, but also learning the proper technique to learn to play a cover 2 after the snap while showing a cover 1 before the snap.

Not even to mention how much Williams likes to use his safeties. He'll even line them up as CBs and even LBs on occasion.

It's a pretty big departure from the standard vanilla safety position you see in a cover 2.

quite impressive, master yoda

When this season starts we will be argueing whos better sean taylor or adam archuleta.
Um, probably not. Archuleta may have seen his public stock fall due to some injury problems, and while I think he will be much more impressive than the general media gives him credit for, he won't be like Sean Taylor. Players like Taylor only come around every once in awhile, and while Arch is going to be the man, I think Taylor will just be THAT good that he'll even dwarf Adam's awesomeness.

Um, probably not. Archuleta may have seen his public stock fall due to some injury problems, and while I think he will be much more impressive than the general media gives him credit for, he won't be like Sean Taylor. Players like Taylor only come around every once in awhile, and while Arch is going to be the man, I think Taylor will just be THAT good that he'll even dwarf Adam's awesomeness.

I think AA is going to have amazing season with us, I say 10+ sacks for him and a probowl year maybe defensive player of the year just my thoughts...;)

Okay, it should'nt be legal for AA's mom to post without identification. Please, if he plays as well as well as Clark did last year we go to the SB with the new offense.

I agree. But seriouly I expect him to make some mistakes as he learns this D. On the other hand no way you can compare AA to Clark. AA will at least be 50% better going after the QB and 50% better in stopping the run. Pass coverage maybe just maybe Clark would have a slight edge. AAs major problem in the last couple of year has been his injury and the fact that he played for a horrrible defense. In this defense as long as he does his job he will not have to worry about being DA MAN. Which means when the ball comes in his area of responsibility he will just go out and kill the ball carrier. Believe me he will never have it so easy because the amount of talent around him is 5 steps up from what he has been used to.

I think AA is going to have amazing season with us, I say 10+ sacks for him and a probowl year maybe defensive player of the year just my thoughts...;)

At best, Arch will be the 4th best player on our defense (Washington, Taylor, Carter). No way he gets considered for DPOY.

10+ sacks? DE's cant even get easily. No way he wins defensive player of the year, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

If that statement was a joke, my bad, I hope it was a joke.

I think this is going to be the worst free agent pickup this season...I am still a little worried if he is going to work in our system. I am little worried when he is in coverage. But I hope he has a great season and if Greg Williams likes then he must see something in the kid.

At best, Arch will be the 4th best player on our defense (Washington, Taylor, Carter). No way he gets considered for DPOY.
5th*** - you left out big CARLOS!

Wow you guys couldn't be more wrong :doh:

Did everyone forget about Big Griff in the middle? :whoknows:

It is also laughable that 2 guys who haven't played a down for the Skins (Carter, Arch) would be ranked in the top 4 :laugh:

Springs > Rogers btw

Wow you guys couldn't be more wrong :doh:

Did everyone forget about Big Griff in the middle? :whoknows:

I don't really see any "key" players in our defense...it just works as a unit. Arch isn't going to be spectacular but definately can be a playmaker, imo.

I think this is going to be the worst free agent pickup this season...I am still a little worried if he is going to work in our system. I am little worried when he is in coverage. But I hope he has a great season and if Greg Williams likes then he must see something in the kid.

That is crazy talk. AA isn't the best safety in the league but he doesnt have to be on this defense. He is better than Clark and with ST, Springs, Rogers and Wright back there with him he won't need to make every play like he did in St. Louis. He is going to be a solid contributor and he will only improve throughout the season as he learns Greg Williams schemes.

Look at it like this....

Greg makes walk-ons and undrafted players look good...

Greg makes average and NFL starters look like pro-bowlers...

Greg will make a freak of nature like Sean and a workout warrior like Adam like nothing you have ever seen. :)

Okay, it should'nt be legal for AA's mom to post without identification. Please, if he plays as well as well as Clark did last year we go to the SB with the new offense.

Hes 10x better then ryan clark theirs a reason redskins made him the highest paid player.

Did anyone take into consideration...maybe AA is just trying to be Modest instead of running his mouth about being an elite strong safety? In regards to us fighting over who will be better, Shawn or AA;there will be absolutely no contest. Shawn albiet his off-field issues, is in a class of his own.

While watching Archuleta on redskins.com, I was struck by the comment "there are alot of new concepts that I've never really been exposed to in my career" when asked, in essence, how he was adapting to life with the skins.

And I'm thinking, 'scuse my ignorance, how many different concepts are there that a 5 year veteran safety of the NFL is on a whole new learning curve?

What the hell is Williams teaching these guys?

This kid has been playing football seriously for 9 years or so (4 college / 5 pro) what could possibly be so foreign?

Well, he played in one of the softest defenses (St. Louis) for his whole pro career until this point. From the few Rams games that I saw, they didn't do much blizting w/ the DB's and the safties in particular. Of course he knows the basics, (cover 2, cover 3, etc), but I'm not sure that he's been exposed to this much action from the saftey position. And he played LB in college, so what he did learn there probably doesn't translate to the safety spot.

Did anyone take into consideration...maybe AA is just trying to be Modest instead of running his mouth about being an elite strong safety? In regards to us fighting over who will be better, Shawn or AA;there will be absolutely no contest. Shawn albiet his off-field issues, is in a class of his own.

"Sean"

Archived