Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

County's cost for illegal immigrants' care soars

Sarge

I still have not seen the question of federal reimbursment for hospital care addressed...

If the problem is caused by federal policy or lack of enforcementwhy should we here have to pay for it localy?

In about ten yrs some of ya'll will get a taste of what it's like :laugh:

Commissioner Steve Radack, who requested the report on the district's costs of treating undocumented immigrants, said county residents are shouldering a burden created by the federal government.

The federal government doesn't prevent illegal immigration, but hardly reimburses local counties where the immigrants most frequently settle and use public health care facilities, he said.

"The federal government allows people to come here illegally," Radack said. "Because of that the cost shouldn't fall on the local taxpayer."

Just curious...Is it a position of some on here that illegal immigrants don't pay any taxes and are thus just free loading in our hospitals?

Do sales taxes count? What about other taxes paid under different SSNs? How much are they making businesses that are then taxed (not saying it's fair, just that there is a positive to the local economies that should be factored in).

I recognize that at the local level, they may in fact pay less than they take. However, if I am to believe that, I'd have to know what they contribute in local taxes because I have a hard time believing it is nothing. It just takes a broader look to assess the true impact.

Ferg,

You have made numerous statements in both of these threads that just aren't true, the latest being that illegals don't climb up the economic ladder. You sure have a lot of opinions for a person that doesn't have all the facts.

Just curious...Is it a position of some on here that illegal immigrants don't pay any taxes and are thus just free loading in our hospitals?

Do sales taxes count? What about other taxes paid under different SSNs? How much are they making businesses that are then taxed (not saying it's fair, just that there is a positive to the local economies that should be factored in).

I recognize that at the local level, they may in fact pay less than they take. However, if I am to believe that, I'd have to know what they contribute in local taxes because I have a hard time believing it is nothing. It just takes a broader look to assess the true impact.

How about the 1.5 billion+ they pay in medicare taxes every year.

Whatever I say that's not true must easily be proven to be not true from multiple sources... so... let's see it...

Most things I think come from my experience rather than some studies run on paper...

Immigrants as a whole probably climb up the economic ladder because they are more willing to take risks and go bankrupt doing so... there's nothing to lose, and that's a good thing.

I still want to know what happens to the farmworker/day laborer... do they get picked up and then eventually offered a job?

Whatever I say that's not true must easily be proven to be not true from multiple sources... so... let's see it...

Most things I think come from my experience rather than some studies run on paper...

Immigrants as a whole probably climb up the economic ladder because they are more willing to take risks and go bankrupt doing so... there's nothing to lose, and that's a good thing.

I still want to know what happens to the farmworker/day laborer... do they get picked up and then eventually offered a job?

From my experience, most of them aren't day laborers for long. They much prefer having a stable job, but do day labor until they can find a good job.

Archived