Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philly has a star WR!!! Well...

DWinzit

I know Philly relies on TE's and westbrook for receiving, but they need some WR play. Will they get it from these guys and are they really excited about Pinkston?

link http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/14788740.htm

On the NFL | Pinkston eager to shoulder responsibility

By Ashley Fox

Inquirer Sports Columnist

There was depression, frustration, and a whole lot of aggravation. Todd Pinkston's emotions ran the gamut after he ruptured his Achilles tendon during a training-camp practice last August, effectively ending his season well before it ever began.

Last week, there was apprehension and nerves, but a lot of excitement for Pinkston, who returned to participate in the Eagles' final minicamp of the off-season. Although the players won't put on pads until training camp begins next month, Pinkston was able to run routes, catch balls and test his surgically repaired Achilles. He was sore, and did not do everything his fellow receivers did, but Pinkston was back.

"Well, we have another weapon," Donovan McNabb said when asked about having Pinkston on the field. "[He is] a guy that can stretch the field, get down the sideline. I think Todd is looking forward to this year, with what happened last year and the way things ended up for him. But he has really worked hard to work himself back... so it's a positive thing for all of us to see Todd out there."

The Eagles have a slew of wide receivers on their roster, but there is not a big name among them, and certainly no one with the talent or status of Terrell Owens. The names won't strike fear in opposing defensive backs. Jabar Gaffney? Reggie Brown? Greg Lewis? Pinkston? They aren't stars, aren't big-name guys.

Entering his seventh season in the league, Pinkston now is the veteran of the group. Asked whether he feels pressure, he said no.

"I've been in this position ever since I've been here, trying to get better as a group," said Pinkston, whom the Eagles selected in the second round of the 2000 draft. "You can't let one player determine the game, because you've got 22 guys on the field at one time, and one guy isn't going to take over the game... . We can't let [the criticisms] get to us."

The receivers will be one of the most scrutinized groups once the Birds open training camp, and Pinkston, who has caught just 14 touchdown passes in his career, will get a lot of the attention. He has averaged 15.3 yards per catch during his NFL career, and in 2004 led all NFC receivers by averaging 18.8 yards per catch. But he averaged just 2.3 catches per game in 2003 and 2004.

"I think there's a lot more responsibility on me now," Pinkston said. "I think the coaching staff and my teammates are looking forward to me continuing to make big plays, and just keep going with the flow."

Quiet and understated, unlike the Eagles' last big receiver, Pinkston said he is happy that 2005 is behind him, for a number of reasons. He said that last season, when the T.O. controversy swirled around the Eagles, he wanted to be a more vocal leader but couldn't because of his injury. You have to play to be heard, and Pinkston's only activity on game days was to cheer from the sideline and offer a few insights.

"It was frustrating," Pinkston said, "because a lot of things were going on, not only on the field but off. I'm so used to being out there, and I wasn't in a position to do something or to say something. That was one of the hardest things to go through."

Pinkston hopes the hard times are behind him. He is ready to move forward, and said he believes that his teammates are as well.

"I can sense it a bit," Pinkston said. "I'm trying to be a leader around here. My leadership, once you come back from an injury and show you're ready to get this thing going and stick together, then it's a positive."

In 04 in the 2 games V the Skins Pinkston caught 3 for 99 yds and 5 for 106 yds. Reggie Brown caught 5 for 94 and 7 for 77 yds for a combined 3 TD's in 05 and even Greg Lewis who will be at best the Birds 4th WR caught 4 for 62 yds and 5 for 57 yds in 05. I don't blame other team's fans for putting down the Eagle WR's but with those numbers it seems kind of idiotic for Skins fans to be doing it unless they believe they fielded a completely inept defensive backfield.

In 04 in the 2 games V the Skins Pinkston caught 3 for 99 yds and 5 for 106 yds. Reggie Brown caught 5 for 94 and 7 for 77 yds for a combined 3 TD's in 05 and even Greg Lewis who will be at best the Birds 4th WR caught 4 for 62 yds and 5 for 57 yds in 05. I don't blame other team's fans for putting down the Eagle WR's but with those numbers it seems kind of idiotic for Skins fans to be doing it unless they believe they fielded a completely inept defensive backfield.

04, Pinky had TO

05, 2 losses, and our cbs were injured, as were our starting DT, but hey whose counting :)

If one or two games somehow makes a career, than I'm not sure how the Eagles can say anything period about the Skins since they were swept.

Let's also keep in mind that about 60 of Brown's yards came on a busted coverage where the CB thought it was zone and passed him off to the middle of the field where nobody was there to pick him up.

So how many WRs are the Eagles going to keep? More than five?

Right now they've got Reggie Brown, Gaffney, Pinkston, Lewis, Bloom, Avant, McCants, and Baskett. Am I forgetting anyone? I'm going to assume McCants gets the boot, who else survives from this group?

Is Pinkston even a lock to make the team this year? He's a pure speed guy coming back from a major injury, it seems like perhaps it might be a good time to phase him out and get these other guys some time. What do the Philly fans think?

Let's also keep in mind that about 60 of Brown's yards came on a busted coverage where the CB thought it was zone and passed him off to the middle of the field where nobody was there to pick him up.

That was actually just a terrible play by Walt Harris (I rewatched the game last night :D). He got caught looking in the backfield. And now, he's no longer a member of this team. :)

In the second game, Walt Harris and Christian Morton were the #1 and #2 game for the majority. Springs played at not 100% for the first half (left the game), Rogers was inactive, and Jimoh left early in the 3rd quarter and did not return.

Yep, our secondary was pretty inept in that game, yet we still won by 11 points. :)

If one or two games somehow makes a career, than I'm not sure how the Eagles can say anything period about the Skins since they were swept.

lol

Ok so if I take away every time an eagle made a mistake which resulted in a big play for the other team then the Eagles are in the superbowl every year. But whose counting.

I'm also curious how the eagles fans can't say anything but you all have plenty to say when Philly is running the division.

So how many WRs are the Eagles going to keep? More than five?

Right now they've got Reggie Brown, Gaffney, Pinkston, Lewis, Bloom, Avant, McCants, and Baskett. Am I forgetting anyone? I'm going to assume McCants gets the boot, who else survives from this group?

They may need all of them! :laugh:

pinkston will get alligator arms again when sean comes knockin

When I saw the title, Pinkston eager to shoulder responsibility, I figured he was owning up to wetting his pants on that play. That was one of the ten all time classics plays. He and Jeremy Bloom will be the face of eagle wideouts.

Are you serious? 2004 was a long time ago against a whole different team. Let's see, I could go back to the 1980's and throw some stats at you that will blow your mind!

04, Pinky had TO

05, 2 losses, and our cbs were injured, as were our starting DT, but hey whose counting :)

Now I understand your comments Bubba. You must mean in 04 you had all your CB's covering TO and used Griffen to cover Pinkston and in the 1st game in Washington when Springs Rodgers and Harris played and Griffen didn't the reason McNabb threw for over 300 mostly to WR's who were considered our 3rd 4th and 5th option at the start of the season is they didn't have Griffen to help out in coverage. What # excuse is that in the Skin's fans roledex of excuses? Probably right after the one where they aren't responsible for seeing coverages aren't blown[all Skin's receptions come when they flat out beat the DB] and they aren't responsible for having decent depth. In fact if something goes wrong it's never their fault but instead because the refs league and press all hate the poor little Skin's. With that kind of personal responsibility ethic you guys are in the right city........with all the politicians.

Brown had 2 good games vs. the Skins. True, But what *SHOULD* concern Philly fans is their #1 WR Brown had a game with 0 recepts and 0 yrds. Two other games with 1 catch of 3 yards (Dallas) and 1 catch for 6 yrds (Oak.). And 2 of those 3 games were with McNabb starting. Brown has NO Td's or even catches in the last 2 mins. *OF ANY GAME* last year. Interesting! Brown is going to be good, but the reality is, Brown is a #3 WR at best any where else in the NFC East.

Archived