Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about new rule involving QB tackling

Skins Addict

Every player gets hit below the knees. Why are QBs so special?

QBs aren't the only ones that are protected from low hits. Linemen are also protected against the crack-back block which is similar to a QB getting hit low.

When a running back gets hit low he is usually leaning forward and his legs go flying out from under him. When a QB gets hit low he is standing upright and all the force comes in on the knee.

I just dont understand why the quarterback gets so many protective rules in the nfl....thats just one more nfl rule that is up to the refs judgement...and will have all the fans going...ahhhhhhhhhhh oh my goodness how is that not a penalty they hit him below the waste...this is rediculas....i tell you what im going to be PO when carter comes around the corner makes a sack on a big third down and the ref throws a flag for a hit below the knees or waste or whatever...giving the other team a automatic first down....stupid rule..quarterbacks are football players too.

great post :cheers:

QBs aren't the only ones that are protected from low hits. Linemen are also protected against the crack-back block which is similar to a QB getting hit low.

When a running back gets hit low he is usually leaning forward and his legs go flying out from under him. When a QB gets hit low he is standing upright and all the force comes in on the knee.

I forgot about linemen - but like I said earlier, I am afraid of the over-sensitivity during the game.

My problem with this is - because the QB is such the glamor psoition - the refs will be more sensitive to it. I dunno - I really hate when specific positions are targeted for rules. (With the exception of a punter...but they're punters...)

I understand where you are coming from. I think the contact to the head is a little extreme considering a love tap warrants a 15 yard penalty, but this rule makes sense to me. Someone running full speed into an unexpecting knee is unfair in my opinion.

yep....i guess they dont have pads on anymore...SHEEEEESH

Yes they war pads, but they already can not be hit. As the rules stand, the QB's are well protected. It seems like twenty five percent of the flags thrown against defenders hitting a QB are poor judgement calls by the refs. Occassionally in replays you see the ref reaching for the flag as contact is occurring.

I dont think it is ridiculous at all. A qb is in a completely defenseless position when throwing. You cant reasonably expect one human being to make 4 or 5 reads in a matter of seconds, and be cognitive of every defender who can possibly end his career with a crushing blow to his ACL/MCL. Anyone remember the hit the Giants put on Brunell below his knees? It was a legal hit but I would love to pull up the posts of people screaming it was dirty. Brunell had no chance to defend himself as he was still in the follow thru stage of his release. Yes a QB is a football player but he is the one position that is completely gamplanned around to be destroyed by multiple blitzers. I believe rules like this are fair. If you get called for clipping for blocking below the knees then you should get called for running full speed into a QB's knees as well. Personally, I think with the new emphasis on staying high, there will be more turnovers forced anyways.

Yeah but up until this past year, QB's didn't need this rule. Just watch some Game of the Week's on NFL network and watch how many sacks would either be penalties or wouldn't have been made at all because the defender would have pulled up to avoid a 15 yard penalty.

Watch the Chargers-Colts game, its on tonight. Merriman had 4 sacks.... pretty much won the game for the Chargers. 2 of those sacks would have been penalties or wouldn't have been able to been made - not just Merriman would have hit him higher because he couldn't have. Especially the TD saving shoestring grab at the 8 yard line.

Name one QB hurt in the last 5 years because of a hit like this? Definately not Palmer, that was an accident and wouldn't have been considered a penalty.

It just really stinks for a defense like ours, and I think its going to negatively effect us a whole lot if it is called like they say they are going to.

I understand where you are coming from. I think the contact to the head is a little extreme considering a love tap warrants a 15 yard penalty, but this rule makes sense to me. Someone running full speed into an unexpecting knee is unfair in my opinion.

I agree... but this rule doesn't let you touch them anywhere *below* the knee either. That is just unfair.

I agree... but this rule doesn't let you touch them anywhere *below* the knee either. That is just unfair.

I understand exactly what you are saying. Maybe the language is in there already, but I think they should make this rule only for the pocket. If a QB leaves the pocket like Manning did in that situation, then he is doing so at his own risk. He turns into a running back in that situation. However, when in the pocket I think its a good rule. All of your weight is being shifted forward into a throw while a 270 DE's momentum is completely pushing it the other way. :whoknows: It will be interesting to see how they are going to call it.

I understand exactly what you are saying. Maybe the language is in there already, but I think they should make this rule only for the pocket. If a QB leaves the pocket like Manning did in that situation, then he is doing so at his own risk. He turns into a running back in that situation. However, when in the pocket I think its a good rule. All of your weight is being shifted forward into a throw while a 270 DE's momentum is completely pushing it the other way. :whoknows: It will be interesting to see how they are going to call it.

Hmm Good point. ;)

I dont think it is ridiculous at all. A qb is in a completely defenseless position when throwing. You cant reasonably expect one human being to make 4 or 5 reads in a matter of seconds, and be cognitive of every defender who can possibly end his career with a crushing blow to his ACL/MCL. /QUOTE]

Then they should cut their reads down to 2-3 and get the ball away quicker. They have played the game the same way for 86 yrs. Why now all of the sudden, the QB's can't get touched anymore?

How about this, it would be like the scrimmage rules we're used to seeing...if the defender gets near the QB and is in position to make a sack, the play is dead. I mean, this is the way the league is going right? No contact for the QBS...at least this would make it fair for the defense.

Archived