Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFC East 2006

celder

So I have recently heard some grumblings that the Eagles are the favorite to win the NFC East. How can this be? Yeah the Eagles will be getting a healthy Donovan McNabb back and will no longer have to worry about TO, but they were still the worst team in the division last year. Its true that the Eagles dominated the NFC East for four straight years before last year, but in my opinion this was because of how weak the other teams were and not because of how dominate the Eagles were. I think everyone can agree that the East has upgraded tremendously over the past 2 years and with very few significant offseason moves, I don't see how the Eagles will climb out of the cellar. In my opinion the Giants and Redskins will be fighting it out for first, followed by the Cowboys and then Eagles. Opinions?

:eaglesuck

The Feables have earned their level of notoriety through a string of consecutive playoff appearances and a regular season dominance of the NFC East. Last year they were decimated by key injuries and still managed some gutsy performances. As well, they had a good draft that should give them good depth on the lines. This team will push the Cowboys for second place with the Giants pulling up the rear. For those who think the Giants are good I give you this. Last year they had the easiest schedule in the east, we had the toughest. They also had an extra home game against a team in distress. Eli SUCKED the second half of the season. Reason: the first half of their schedule was BY FAR the easiest in the NFL. Giants won't finish better than 6-10. Cowboys and Feables will come down to there two showdowns and I think the Feables steal both from them to end with a 10-6 record. We will finish 12-4. The girls, 9-7.

edit: dominance

Naw, Eagles are good but not the NFC East favorites who most would agree are the Giants and Skins.

However... (author's hedge coming) ... Dallas and Philly are definitely talented and coached well-enough to be "in the hunt".

Considering all the uncertainties, including injuries, I would not bet the farm against any of the four.

The Feables have earned their level of notoriety through a string of consecutive playoff appearances and a regular season dominance of the NFC East. Last year they were decimated by key injuries and still managed some gutsy performances. As well, they had a good draft that should give them good depth on the lines. This team will push the Cowboys for second place with the Giants pulling up the rear. For those who think the Giants are good I give you this. Last year they had the easiest schedule in the east, we had the toughest. They also had an extra home game against a team in distress. Eli SUCKED the second half of the season. Reason: the first half of their schedule was BY FAR the easiest in the NFL. Giants won't finish better than 6-10. Cowboys and Feables will come down to there two showdowns and I think the Feables steal both from them to end with a 10-6 record. We will finish 12-4. The girls, 9-7.

edit: dominance

yea, I agree with that, Eli did suck the second half of the season. Mostly my Giants opinion derived from their defense though. I don't even think Tiki will be as affective as he was last year, and now that I think about it, if Tiki can't get it going, and carry the team on his back like he did last year, then they won't be nearly as good as they were last year. It's tough thinking about it though.

The bottom line is the Eagles have EARNED the right to be considered the favorite in the division until someone beats them HEALTHY. The Redskins are the most talented/complete/varied team in the division by a substantial margin. No team has the skill players to spread the field effectively or pound it inside. To play zone or man in the secondary. The Redskins can do more things due to the more versatile pieces we have than any other team in the division. If Mark Brunell is healthy and playing like he did MOST of last year, we should probably win the division should we not suffer severe injury elsewhere that saps us.

The reason the Eagles deserve the tip of the cap is because like us, they have the division's only TRUE, proven, dominating defense when healthy. Like us, their defense is capable of dictating to opposing offenses. Forcing them to change gameplans because of the potency, skill and, most importantly, design and prep of the unit. That coupled with an effective offense and solid leader in McNabb would make them an easy pick for the top of the division.

I happen to like our whole team more than theirs as I'm sure Eagle fans would given how one dimensional they are offensively by personnel and design, but, until they are beaten healthy, or until they are no longer mostly the same team, they deserve the respect they've earned.

This division is going to feel like the late 80's and early 90's this coming season. Four potential powerhouses beating the holy bejeezus out of each other, to decide which of them will hoist the Lombardi at the end of the year.

I agree with Art that the Skins have more options, and more potential ways to beat you than any other team in the division. But I think any of the four can make an argument as to why they think they CAN win the division.

The Eagles D-line is disgusting...in a good way. They could field at least two starting D-lines with the personnel they have. Their offense is going to be better too as Brown and Lewis start to come into their own, and Avant and Baskett learn to make an impact. If McNabb is healthy, I think their offense will be a lot better than most people expect.

The Giants are going to be better than last year too, and that's a scary thought. Arrington, Strahan and Umenyiora on the field at the same time will give quarterbacks nightmares. And I still think Tiki is the most underrated back in the league. I see Eli having his breakout year too. Make no mistake, this is one dangerous team.

Sadly, I think TO is going to give the Cowboys one great year before the inevitable meltdown. Drew Bledsoe is less mobile than me, but still has a great arm. I'm not sold on Julius Jones, and I think Dallas' D-secondary is a bit of a liability. But I still think the Pokes will be better than last season too.

I see the order of finish this way:

Giants 12-4

Redskins 11-5

Cowboys 10-6

Eagles 9-7

I also think -- like last year -- though the Redskins won't win the division, they'll go further in the playoffs than the Giants. I see us going to the NFC Championship game...at least.

:logo:

I see the order of finish this way:

Giants 12-4

Redskins 11-5

Cowboys 10-6

Eagles 9-7

With the strength of the division and the relative weakness of the other NFC divisions and of the AFC South (who we are playing this year), I do think it's plausible that all four teams could finish above .500. Realistically, though, I bet one of the four teams (like the Eagles last year) will suffer injuries and unexpected events that will just bury them in a division that is very competitive. Obviously there's no way to predict who that team will be, but I hope that (like the Eagles last year) the cowboys suffer the injuries and unexpected events due to the curse of to.

Didn't the Redskins beat a healthy Eagles team that included both McNabb and Westbrook on the road last year? The Redskins won 5 of 6 in the division. I don't see how people look past that.

The first game last year was in Washington. The Skins won 17-10 and Westbrook was healthy but McNabb suffered from the sports hernia all year. I think that was the first game TO was suspended last season but McNabb still threw for around 300 to Brown Lewis McMullen Westbrook ect.

I think you can make a good case for any of the 4 teams winning the division and likely the team that stays the healthiest will be the team that prevails.

So I have recently heard some grumblings that the Eagles are the favorite to win the NFC East. How can this be? Yeah the Eagles will be getting a healthy Donovan McNabb back and will no longer have to worry about TO, but they were still the worst team in the division last year. Its true that the Eagles dominated the NFC East for four straight years before last year, but in my opinion this was because of how weak the other teams were and not because of how dominate the Eagles were. I think everyone can agree that the East has upgraded tremendously over the past 2 years and with very few significant offseason moves, I don't see how the Eagles will climb out of the cellar. In my opinion the Giants and Redskins will be fighting it out for first, followed by the Cowboys and then Eagles. Opinions?

:eaglesuck

I haven't heard that Eagles are favorites.

I happen to like our whole team more than theirs as I'm sure Eagle fans would given how one dimensional they are offensively by personnel and design, but, until they are beaten healthy, or until they are no longer mostly the same team, they deserve the respect they've earned.

I have to agree, but the good point is we beat them healthy at Fed Ex last year, but beating them at the link healthy will be alot more difficult.

Archived