Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

June 1 Cuts

CPstretch

This is the NFL date in which the cuts relieve this year's salary and allow bonus money to be prorated into the next year as deadcap money.

I do not forsee any cuts for the Redskins this June 1st.

Taylor Jacobs, why he is still here, I dont understand

He is a body.. one to fill the roster spot. I agree, he should be cut. However, who would fill his spot? The lack of depth at the WR position KILLED us last year. True, having both Lloyd and A.R.E., provides us with a HUGE lift in our hopes that our depth would in fact not hinder us in moving forward, and hopefully much further than it did last year.

I would put Moss, A.R.E., Lloyd, Patten, Thrash, and Farris all ahead of Jacobs. Let's keep him at 7th string, and teach him a lesson. :laugh:

I am a believer that what he needs is a push, he seems like he has a lot of potential--He just needs to apply himself.

Farris?...I think Espy will be far better than Farris, Thrash will stay only if Jacobs gets cut. I hope Jacobs gets cut since he is little more than a spoiled whiny kid that doesnt want to work on anyones terms except his own...and that constantly changes.

Taylor Jacobs, why he is still here, I dont understand

Yeah, I pretty much agree. Of course, I guess there is no reason or need to cut him right now. The draft picks don't have to be signed yet and I don't think there is any salary cap benefit to cutting him after June 1 2006 because he is going into the last year of his contract anyway. Thus, since he has not been cut to this point, the team might as well keep him around until we get through training camp and have to reduce the roster for the season. You never know what might happen. I assume his chances of sticking around are poor if there is someone else that we need or want to sign, such as June 1 cuts from other teams. I was really disappointed in his performance last year so I will not miss him if he is cut. At some point you have to start producing in games, not just in practice.

I think we'll cut somebody only if somebody else becomes available that we want to free up enough cap in order to pick up.

I agree - it's funny that the Redskins are perpetually supposed to be going into "salary cap hell" but they have no one on the chopping block this year for the June 1 cuts that are supposed to help with the salary cap. I guess the Redskins' salary cap situation is not too dire! :) Anyway I think this year's June 1 cuts all around the NFL are going to be less of a big deal than in past years because the salary cap went up so much with the new CBA. All teams should be facing less of a crunch (and thus less pressure to make June 1 cuts) since the salary cap is much bigger.

this thursday is june 1 and cuts are expected. what are these cuts specifically for? who can we expect to see cut?

Just a note to anyone who doesn't understand the June 1 cuts in the NFL:

When a player signs a contract, the team can pro-rate (or divide up) the signing bonus over the lifetime of the deal (for the salary cap). This happens even though the player gets the signing bonus money up-front. Say a player signs a 5-year deal with a $10 million signing bonus and $1 million annual salaries. The player gets $11 million in year 1 (signing bonus plus salary) and $1 million every other year. For the salary cap, though, the team just gets charged $3 million in each of the 5 years ($1 million salary, plus 1/5 of the $10 million signing bonus).

When a player is cut, the team is not charged (on the salary cap) for any more salary, since they cut the player and will not actually pay him that salary. However, the team is still charged (on the salary cap) for the signing bonus, since they already paid that when the player signed the deal. Here's the catch: if a player is cut, the team no longer gets to spread the signing bonus out - they get charged for the rest of the signing bonus right away.

Going back to the example, say the team cuts the player after 2 years. The team gets charged $3 million on the salary cap in years 1 and 2, and then $6 million (the rest of the signing bonus) in year 3. The salary cap hit looks like this:

Year 1 - $3 million ($1 million salary + $2 million from bonus)

Year 2 - $3 million ($1 million salary + $2 million from bonus)

Player is cut after year 2, but before June 1

Year 3 - $6 million (no salary, $6 million from bonus)

Ouch! Teams like to avoid getting that kind of big hit all at once. In a case like this, the team waits until after June 1 to cut a guy, because after June 1 the team can delay the salary cap hit (from the signing bonus) until the following year. So, if they keep the player for 2 years, then cut him after June 1, the salary cap hit looks like this:

Year 1 - $3 million ($1 million salary + $2 million from bonus)

Year 2 - $3 million ($1 million salary + $2 million from bonus)

Player is cut after year 2, but only after June 1

Year 3 - $2 million (no salary, $2 million from bonus)

Year 4 - $4 million (no salary, $4 million from bonus)

Hopefully this makes sense. The idea is that, by cutting a player after June 1, you get to spread the rest of the salary cap hit (from his signing bonus) over two years instead of just one year.

If a team wants to cut a player (like Taylor Jacobs) who is going into the last year of his deal, there is no reason they have to wait until June 1 to cut him. It is irrelevant because, either way, the salary cap hit will all come that year.

That was an excellent explanation of the June 1 cuts and the effect on the salary cap. I understand it pretty well now. Thanks!

As for Taylor Jacobs, isn't he a pretty good special teams player? I thought that was the reason we were keeping him. His cap hit isn't that much either. His replacement would command as much salary as him, if not more.

Taylor Jacobs needs to leave....immediately
Why, could you explain your comment a little further?

I agree that Jacobs has not contributed much to this team at all outside of special teams. IMO, Jacobs actually looks and plays nervous and sometimes even scared during a game. Yet in practice he is said to be a beast. He got some more playing time in 05, so maybe he has shed some of that nervousness.

Jacobs is the tallest, 200lb, fast wideout that we have. What exactly would we gain by releasing him?

Why, could you explain your comment a little further?

I agree that Jacobs has not contributed much to this team at all outside of special teams. IMO, Jacobs actually looks and plays nervous and sometimes even scared during a game. Yet in practice he is said to be a beast. He got some more playing time in 05, so maybe he has shed some of that nervousness.

Jacobs is the tallest, 200lb, fast wideout that we have. What exactly would we gain by releasing him?

Perhaps we could trade him for a draft pick?

I thought Moss was the fastest WR we have. If Jacobs is faster then Moss, how come he can't get separation?

Perhaps we could trade him for a draft pick?

I thought Moss was the fastest WR we have. If Jacobs is faster then Moss, how come he can't get separation?

Na, I wasn't saying he is the fastest or faster than Moss. :) Maybe I should have worded it differently...my bad. I meant that he is the biggest and tallest WR with speed that we have on the roster.

i say keep him. maybe adding and being around all of these good WRs will motivate him to work harder, or he could learn from them and be well versed in keeping his composure enough to apply his practice savvy in games.

he's six three and over 200 lbs. he SHOULD have an advantage over the smaller corners, so if we keep him, maybe he'll do well when he actually gets to see the field.

haha...lastly...he's a beast on madden online...which is admittedly one of the biggest reasons why i want him staying.

Jacobs is gone, the man has hands of stone, and last time i checked u dont hold 2 roster spots for pure special teams WRs, and thrash is maybe the best in the league in that role. There is no way james thrash will be cut, i believe he has been NFC special teams player of the week 3 or 4 times since re joining the skins.

i say keep him. maybe adding and being around all of these good WRs will motivate him to work harder, or he could learn from them and be well versed in keeping his composure enough to apply his practice savvy in games.

he's six three and over 200 lbs. he SHOULD have an advantage over the smaller corners, so if we keep him, maybe he'll do well when he actually gets to see the field.

haha...lastly...he's a beast on madden online...which is admittedly one of the biggest reasons why i want him staying.

No way!! 6'3". He's not that big. He doesn't look that big anyway. He actually looks very small. At least our other midgets look solid, although short.

Taylor Jacobs is still very hesitant and I believe it's due to the fact that he was injured for the better part of his NFL Career. He should probably bulk up if he wants to avoid such injuries in the future. I don't know how you tear your stomach muscles, but I'm sure it hurts pretty freakin badly. If that were me, I'd hit the gym HARD, and train HARDER in the offseason - maybe he can come back lookin like TO - minus the drama and contribute eventually.

Taylor Jacobs needs to leave....immediately

i really wish he would make it and have a good year, just to shutup the haters..... and to prove that he should be on the team. everywhere i look on anythread there is always a "taylor needs to leave!" guy. i hope he has a GREAT year and gets resigned so they can either cry for a lil longer or shutup! :laugh:

Taylor does not have a huge salary for us to contend with in terms of dead weight, so I think he will make it through camp and the coaches will give him another shot at WR but more importantly teams. The coaches will determine how many WR's we will be keeping heading into the season and that will determine if he makes the team or not ... if there is a 6th WR spot he will be in contention for it due to his special teams play.

As far as June 1st ... those are cap casualties. Steve McNair will probably be cut ... because of his huge salary, but I don't see any Redskins having such a large cap figure that they will need to be released to offset dead money into next year.

Archived