Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis And 2000 Yards = Superbowl Championship

posse87

i'd be ecstatic if portis got 2000 yards rushing, and it could possibly happen with saunders at OC, but i wouldn't say that alone guarantees us a super bowl win. it's going to take everyone pulling together to make it happen.

Hail!

I was taking into consideration everything that would have to happen for Portis to get to 2000 yards. He would not be able to do it with a low YPC average like 3 to 4 YPC and a ton of carries or with teams being able to put 8 in the box. For 2K to happen there would be several positive things going on ie a very high YPC with a resaonable number of carrie, Portis is not the same bruising back that Jamal was when he got 2K and will not stand up under that kind of pounding. In addition it would mean the passing game was very effective, putting points on the board, and taking men out of the box. It would also mean that the defense was having a lot of 3 and outs with the offense having a good number of long yardage time sustaining drives, keeping the defense well rested. In response to most on here who are saying that it would mean we had a one dimensional offense like the 2000 Ravens; I have to say that as skins fans and after last year along with the hiring of Saunders and signings of Randle EL and Lloyd we all know there is no way that will happen. What we do know is that a strong running game will still be a part of the offense and should be going outside more frequently with the changes that are being made to the offense this year.

With Gregg Williams' defense, the receiving corps of Moss/Lloyd/Randle El/Cooley/Fauria, and Saunders' offensive scheme, if CP gets 2,000 yards, then I agree. Super Bowl XLI is ours.

Really?

So 2,000 rushing yards in the regular season is somehow gonna guarantee postseason success?

Now if it was predicted that Portis gains 500 yards in the playoffs and 1500 yards in the regular season for a total of 2000 yards overall, then yes it is very likely the Redskins were in the Super Bowl.

But as others have mentioned 2000 yards in the regular season hasn't meant much for the RBs who have achieved it.

Also 2000 yards is a lot of mileage on a RB and I wouldn't think Portis would be as fresh as necessary late in the year or during the playoffs with having carried the ball the 400+ times it will probably take to get 2000 yards.

Also note, that having 400 carries in a season spells certain doom to a running back's career. Just ask Terrell Davis, Jamal Anderson, and Eddie George who all fell apart shortly after having a season of 400+ carries...

Archived