Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis And 2000 Yards = Superbowl Championship

posse87

If Clinton hits his goal of 2000 yards, it will secure a superbowl championship. Although the goal is lofty, if he hits it, it means he was healthy the whole season, had a very good YPC average, and has eased coverage for the passing game. Byner seems like a realistic position coach, ie he doesn't seem to be blowing smoke where the sun don't shine, and he has some things to say about Portis that aren't said about many players. He has said on more than one ocassion that Portis has the potential to be one of the best ever and is continuing to get better. 2000 yards=superbowl championship and the emergence of Portis as becoming one of the top 2 backs in the NFL today. If he can sustain his productivity for 5 or 6 more years he will go down as one of the best ever.

BTW: I am picking up a puppy vizsla and naming him Portis. Feedback is welcome.

2000 yards guarantees nothing when it comes to the Super Bowl. Alexander was a beast last year, but he never had the chance to take off in the Super Bowl. The equation that you created simply doesn't work.

He's got it. How many 2000 yard rushers won the super bowl that year. None of them did because it usually means that the offense is not capable of a balanced attack.

I agree with you, Portis could get 2000 yards, but we could give up just as much if our defense doesn't perform, or get no where if our WRs don't take off. What I think can gauge how good we are is how many TDs Portis can get. If he gets off to a great start, unlike last year, and scores enough, I think we can be very dangerous in the red zone, and win some more close games....

2000 yards guarantees nothing when it comes to the Super Bowl. Alexander was a beast last year, but he never had the chance to take off in the Super Bowl. The equation that you created simply doesn't work.

Alexander was a beast against the weakest division in football, not against good defenses when they had to face them. He didnt get 1 - 100 yrd game against any team in the East and couldnt even last through the 1st half in the Playoffs against us.

Yes he got the MVP but Im still not sold on him being the best back because of the lack of competition he faced. IMO if he was thrown in the East,Tiki Barber would have won the rushing title last year and Portis would have been 2nd.

All those 2000 yrd rushers did it against weak divisions, not 1 ever did it against the East or another dominant division, thats why they never won a SuperBowl. We are facing the best in the league this year!

Looking at our schedule this year, if Clinton Portis rushes for 1500 yards then he did more then Alexander could ever do against the teams we face. If Portis rushes for 2000 yards, that means our recievers have opened up the field, our offense is controlling the clock, and if we play this kind of football against the best teams in the NFL, theres not a team who can knock us out of the Playoffs or beat us in the SuperBowl.

All in all it gives us something to cheer and hope for. Its been a long time since we've been able to be this optimistic. I'm just hoping we can keep the line healthy all season to get Portis close to 2000 yards. If Jansen or Thomas goes down again on the right side it will slow him down big time.

Portis getting 2000 yards would be awesome but that doesn't guarentee a SB victory man. Although if we did make it to the big game, I would want him to be fresh and ready to go. I think we need to have a bigger RB rotation this year because Portis got really banged up last season, he didn't show it but he was HURTEN. We need him to be in good shape come the playoffs.

I believe that Portis can get 1,800 yards but 2,000 will be a stretch. A three WR set will cause all kinds of problems for our opponents. They will have to either play zone in their 4-3 defenses or go to a nickel defense if their desire is for man to man coverage. MB will kill a zone with our speedy, good route running WR's and a nickel will yield only six in the box for Portis. Pick your poison!! They must double Moss in man to man, which leaves Lloyd and Randle El in single coverage with the SS on Cooley. It will be interesting to watch!!

uhhhh, clinton and 2000 yards does NOT equal a superbowl championship. If you look at teams who have won superbowls lately, namely the steelers and patriots... none of those teams had a back with anywhere near 2000 yards. in fact, none of those teams had a QB who put up terriffic numbers, a receiver with alot of yards, or any ONE player who was truly stellar.

TEAMS win the superbowl. One player putting up incredible stats means nothing. Remember when Jamal Lewis put up over 2000 yards? Did the ravens even finish above 500 that year? No.

I would say Portis and 2000 yards = probowl selection, but thats it. the very notion that getting 2000 equals a superbowl is ludicrous.

Alexander was a beast against the weakest division in football, not against good defenses when they had to face them. He didnt get 1 - 100 yrd game against any team in the East and couldnt even last through the 1st half in the Playoffs against us.

Yes he got the MVP but Im still not sold on him being the best back because of the lack of competition he faced. IMO if he was thrown in the East,Tiki Barber would have won the rushing title last year and Portis would have been 2nd.

All those 2000 yrd rushers did it against weak divisions, not 1 ever did it against the East or another dominant division, thats why they never won a SuperBowl. We are facing the best in the league this year!

Looking at our schedule this year, if Clinton Portis rushes for 1500 yards then he did more then Alexander could ever do against the teams we face. If Portis rushes for 2000 yards, that means our recievers have opened up the field, our offense is controlling the clock, and if we play this kind of football against the best teams in the NFL, theres not a team who can knock us out of the Playoffs or beat us in the SuperBowl.

My sentiments exactly. In addition, I would offer that a strong running game will keep our defense off the field and rested.

Gibbs is know for his balanced attack as is SAunders. For people to think that Sauders won't pass and Portis will get to 2000 without an effective passing attack is ludicrous. My point being that if he does get to 2K, it will be because of a balanced offense that allows him to have a high YPC average with the offense being able to run time consuming drives in the second half and keep the defense fresh. Portis should also be fresher at the end of the season heading into the playoffs with an improved passing attack and continued rotation with Betts and Rock.

uhhhh, clinton and 2000 yards does NOT equal a superbowl championship. If you look at teams who have won superbowls lately, namely the steelers and patriots... none of those teams had a back with anywhere near 2000 yards. in fact, none of those teams had a QB who put up terriffic numbers, a receiver with alot of yards, or any ONE player who was truly stellar.

TEAMS win the superbowl. One player putting up incredible stats means nothing. Remember when Jamal Lewis put up over 2000 yards? Did the ravens even finish above 500 that year? No.

I would say Portis and 2000 yards = probowl selection, but thats it. the very notion that getting 2000 equals a superbowl is ludicrous.

THe ravens definitely made the playoffs the year Jamal had 2000.

If Clinton hits his goal of 2000 yards, it will secure a superbowl championship. Although the goal is lofty, if he hits it, it means he was healthy the whole season, had a very good YPC average, and has eased coverage for the passing game. Byner seems like a realistic position coach, ie he doesn't seem to be blowing smoke where the sun don't shine, and he has some things to say about Portis that aren't said about many players. He has said on more than one ocassion that Portis has the potential to be one of the best ever and is continuing to get better. 2000 yards=superbowl championship and the emergence of Portis as becoming one of the top 2 backs in the NFL today. If he can sustain his productivity for 5 or 6 more years he will go down as one of the best ever.

BTW: I am picking up a puppy vizsla and naming him Portis. Feedback is welcome.

Now this is a glass half full kinda guy. cheers for the upbeat enthusiasm.:cheers:

First - Alexander is good. get over it. maybe not the best, and yes he was in a weak division, but he is damn good.

Second - it doesn't mean a superbowl. it means that we are probably not balanced enough. if we are balanced and our passing game is as good as it potentially could be, then he could be getting multiple 50+ yard runs per game which would definately put him up 2000 and would help to a SB victory.

IMO - as long as he hits 1500, he will most definately be a major part of the offense again, as it will take pressure off brunell and the rest of the receiving corps and we could possibly be a top ranked offense

:logo:

Well I'd much rather see Portis having around 290 carries with 1500 yards and having Ladell and/or Rock pick up the rest of the 500-800 yards for 2000-2300 team rushing yards. Keeping Portis fresh and healthy at the end of the year is far more important than him racking up a ton of meaningless yardage during the regular season...

Archived