Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Jones Is Redskins' Hall Monitor

EvoSkins

Jones Is Redskins' Hall Monitor

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/19/AR2006051901482.html

Saturday, May 20, 2006; Page E02

For the first three weeks of his stint in NFL Europe, Washington Redskins place kicker Tyler Jones had to operate without uprights at the Hamburg Sea Devils' practice facility. The field conditions were usually spotty, and rain was a nemesis, but when Jones returns to Redskins Park Monday with his season abroad complete, he hopes to emerge as a better kicker.

Jones is in contention for a spot on the all-NFL Europe team, and will play his final game today before flying back to Dulles International Airport on Monday. On Tuesday he expects to join the Redskins for their offseason workout and, although the odds of making the team appear slim, Jones is eager for a chance to push John Hall for the starting job. Coach Joe Gibbs has expressed his devotion to the oft-injured Hall, and Jones has only been with the Redskins since January.

"I had a pretty good season and I was able to get a lot of good work in and good experience under my belt," Jones said from Amsterdam yesterday. Jones, 26, was a standout at Boise State and spent last season with Cleveland and Chicago before being released from the Bears' practice squad in October. Jones has connected on 9 of 12 field goals in NFL Europe -- he is perfect on extra points -- and has excelled on kickoffs, helping Hamburg to have the second-best kickoff coverage in the league.

Kickoffs are of particular importance to the Redskins; Gibbs has said it is unlikely Hall will handle those duties this season, although punter Derrick Frost can. Jones realizes he will have to make an immediate impression on Redskins coaches.

"Regardless of whoever the other kickers are and whatever the situation is, I have to go in and perform the best I can," Jones said

-- Jason La Canfora

John Hall has a monster leg on him. His only problem has been injuries. If he can stay healthy, he can outkick just about anybody in the league.

he is one of the best, as he proved that in 2003, his first year with the skins. i think by having someone else handle kickoffs will keep his leg fresh and healthy. good move by gibbs.

i dont know y we got ride of Nic Novak i liked that kid

keeping 2 kickers on the roster is one too many. you need other positions that are going to see the field and mean more to the team. once hall was "healthy" again, they got rid of novak

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if that is a special teams strategy? Rough the kicker on kick offs, since you can't touch them on field goal plays...

Starting last season you can't touch them on kickoffs unless they're going for a tackle.

Starting last season you can't touch them on kickoffs unless they're going for a tackle.

That rule certainly isn't in place in high school football though. Last year our star quarterback was also our kicker(hell of a leg- 55 yd field goals, put a kickoff through the uprights), so every kickoff the other coach sent two guys to try and injure him. We eventually told him to just kick the ball and run off the field. After every single handoff they told a linebacker to disregard the running back and just get our QB. So he started handing the ball off and continuing to run until he heard a whistle. Needless to say, he was pretty tired at the end of that game. :laugh:

Archived