Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predictions for Skins vs. 49ers game

JJredskins00

I think you are giving the 49ers too much credit. With two officials calls going the other way they could easily have lost to the Giants on opening night and been 0-2.

When I look at these two teams there is the possibility that playing at home the 49ers are going to post a double-digit win, but unlike last week there are a number of reasons I don't think that is a STRONG possibility:

1. The 49ers and Redskins both have had inconsistent play and injuries on their lines. Neither team has the talent to dominate the other at the line of scrimmage. That to me says the game is going to be close unless the Redskins turn over the ball on their own end of the field.

2. The 49ers don't have the type of lockdown backfield the Eagles did and will not be able to employ the same strategy to stop the Redskins offense that was effective last week. The 49ers gave up 200 yards rushing to Denver and their corners other than Plummer are vulnerable. Jason Webster and rookie Mike Rumph can be exploited and I think will be by the game plan we employ.

3. Because of the vulnerability of the 49ers to the run, as long as the Redskins don't go down quickly 14-0 as they did last week and can establish Stephen Davis the game will be played at a pace that is better suited to the Redskins.

4. Jeff Garcia has not played well to this point in 2002 and does not present the same kinds of problems in terms of escapability at 240 pounds and a strong downfield arm that Donovan McNabb does. Garcia can be very effective but he needs help around him to do so. He isn't going to carry his team on his shoulders. If the Redskns stop the run vs. Hearst and can prevent Owens from making game-breaking plays downfield, Garcia is not going to beat the Skins on his own abililty.

5. It is rare for a professional football team with at least decent talent on it to get clocked 37-7 on national TV and then come out and not redeem themselves competitively the next week. Whether the Redskins win this game or not, I expect a close contest.............a final score of a touchdown or less difference, probably a field goal.

My optimistic guess: Redskins 20 49ers 17

look, if the Redskins can't muster a competitive effort against a team that is clearly not playing its best football, then you might as well hand in your tickets or stay away from your TV for the remainder of the season..........................

we can revisit the successes/failures of individuals and the team after the game, but all this negativity and sense of gloom based on one game against the Eagles BEFORE we even see what the 49ers have to offer to me seems pointless.

That same sense of dread was previoulsy channeled into euphoria after the victory over the ever-rudderless Cards..................

I guess I am just too exhausted to go on that up and down rollercoaster for 16 weeks.

I thought this team could win 9 games with Matthews at quarterback and general health on the rest of the squad and I am sticking to it in Week 3 at 1-1 :)

Originally posted by riggins44

Still got to go with my beloved Skins! Regardless of the Man Competition, I believe every Sunday we'll win.

Funny. I was going to say the same thing. I actually feel guilty not picking them to blow out every opponent. I have no chance in the Competition:shootinth

Skins 35

Whiners 20

I stand by my prediction that the D will come to play, you can bet that LA, Trotter and Freddy will be pissed after getting beat like redheaded stepchildren on national TV. We'll get 3+ TOs, LaVar will get 2 sacks from DE positiong causing a fumble and we'll score a defensive TD on Smoot's INT return. Gardner is gonna abuse Webster and Mike "I'm god, oops got burned again" Rumph. SOS has never gotten spanked twice back to back in his coaching career so even if we lose it will be a very close game.

The defense has had its manhood challenged, and the 9 point spread is an insult. There's too much talent on that side of the ball to see a repeat of what happened Monday night, especially against a finesse team like the 49ers. The return of Gardener should help too. Skins 20, 9ers 14, with Tuthill missing a PAT. Gotta have something to complain about dring the bye :)

The Whiners get a LOT of calls in Whadyadowiththatstick Park. We're not good enough to overcome the 3 b.s. holding calls and 2 b.s. pass interference/ defensive holding calls plus a borderline roughing the passer call we are going to get.

Unfortunately, I predict 24-10 Whiners, although I think the teams are pretty close talent-wise if we were to have neutral refs.

My heart says we'll find a way to win this game. Last week as a meltdown but was NOT what we can look forward to on a week-to-week basis. Our defense will improve, the offense will click and everybody will wake up. Skins win a close one.

My head says if I'm betting my hard-earned cah than I'm taking the 49ers. Maybe not against an 8.5-9.5 pt spread, but heads up ... definately. Last week may have been a bad game but it still exposed some problems that aren't going away in a week's time. Niners by 10.

Here's to my heart beating up my head this week. :)

Manly yes, but I like them too, Garcia says.

He'll come out shooting like McNabb, but unlike McNabb (he aint), his running will not do him justice, though he'll have no choice. Look for some odd actions by him, as he'll be forced to show his "true" emotions as he comes out of the closet, er. I mean pocket.

Skins 29

SF 17

Archived