Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Politics and Philosophy: Charging the US with War Crimes

NattyLight

Who could do this and would it be upheld? Would we even really care? I don't know the answer, but I'd hope it wouldn't be "The US would charge the US", because that would be just ridiculous.

Please offer your theories and thoughts.

What exactly is the UN going to do to us? Sanction us? try and put up a no-fly zone? :laugh: no-fly zone, now that's funny. Not that I'm too happy with the abu-grab-ass incident, but really, what's the world going to do about it? Why are they even bothering to shake their stick at us?

OK, so the consensus is, globally speaking, we're an unchecked nation.

Does anyone have any philosphical implications that could materialize out of this?

No. We're a democratic country. We are self-checking to a much further extent than a dictatorship.

We have Sadam on trial for war crimes. If we commit war crimes and they are documented, who would bring us to trial?

Oh, democratic nations can't commit war crimes. Again, you're high and I am jealous.

Holy crap. Try RRRREEEEAAAADDDDIIINNNGGG what i said. I didnt say democratic nations CANT commit war crimes, i said they are more self-checked than dictatorships. I ALSO said that you cant be charged with war crimes without LOSING a war.

Saddam LOST a war. Now he's on trial for war crimes. Am I moving too fast for you?

Well, I should think that if Abu Gharib ( I know I misspelled that) constitutes war crimes, then we should definitely try and bring charges against the guys that actually kill prisoners...or maybe the guys that kill hostages...or maybe the guys that gas and murder their own citizens...or maybe.....

Checked by whom? Oh, self-checked. So the US is checking itself against potential act of comitting war crimes. Sorry I was moving a little slow. Let's speed the conversation up a bit.

When you want to start making valid points, be my guest.

When you want to let us all know how many people have been charged with war crimes after WINNING a war, be my guest.

When you want to let us know what you really think, instead of posting vague questions when you obviously have an agenda to push, be my guest.

When you want to explain to all of us who is going to tell the USA a goddamn thing, PLEASE.......be my guest.

Well, I should think that if Abu Gharib ( I know I misspelled that) constitutes war crimes, then we should definitely try and bring charges against the guys that actually kill prisoners...or maybe the guys that kill hostages...or maybe the guys that gas and murder their own citizens...or maybe.....

I'm not using the prison scandles as a basis for this argument. I will present a short hypothetical:

US intrests hostily engages a modest oil conglomerate on the Georgian / Chechnya border and seizes control of their operation. The operation was known and conceded by political powers in the region that were subsequently paid a handsome sum to turn the other cheek.

The powers that be had evidence of the criminal acts comitted by US sponsors and submits it to the United Nations.

What happens?

When you want to start making valid points, be my guest.

Not making any points quite yet.

When you want to let us all know how many people have been charged with war crimes after WINNING a war, be my guest.

This really makes no sense to me, countries can win wars and commit war crimes.

When you want to let us know what you really think, instead of posting vague questions when you obviously have an agenda to push, be my guest.

Short Answer: Realistically, I think the US is doing what they have to do to be Number 1 in the world and support it fully. But I think it's VERY shortsighted and the exact same mistakes all fallen empires in the past are being made.

When you want to explain to all of us who is going to tell the USA a goddamn thing, PLEASE.......be my guest.

Actually, I did make a point. No one is going to tell the US a goddamn thing. We're not monitored and our global fate is left in the hands of a very select few. A select few that could give a **** about you or me.

Let me say this: I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just trying to pry out feelings about the state of our union and its implications on our long term success as a nation. I feel that one element to that success (just one mind you) is that at least more than 20% of the GLOBAL community can tolerate us.

I mean G Dub gets more love than that.

Not making any points quite yet.

Ok, so this thread has no points.......interesting. :whoknows:

This really makes no sense to me, countries can win wars and commit war crimes.

The thread title isnt about "committing." It says "charging." There is a BIG difference. My point was a country isnt going to be "charged" with war crimes unless they lose a war. A comment that you seem to have taken significant offense to.

Short Answer: Realistically, I think the US is doing what they have to do to be Number 1 in the world and support it fully. But I think it's VERY shortsighted and the exact same mistakes all fallen empires in the past are being made.

I'll keep an open mind. How about some examples?

Actually, I did make a point. No one is going to tell the US a goddamn thing. We're not monitored and our global fate is left in the hands of a very select few. A select few that could give a **** about you or me.

I guess i just have more faith in the system than you. Its worked pretty well for the past 230 years. :2cents:

The thread title isnt about "committing." It says "charging." There is a BIG difference. My point was a country isnt going to be "charged" with war crimes unless they lose a war. A comment that you seem to have taken significant offense to.

No offense taken. I purely enjoy the liberties that are afforded to me through the wars we win (whether a "crime is comitted or not). What I am saying is that if the world is privy to these crimes and can't chargem us an inherent distain for are practices and our country is developed.

I'll keep an open mind. How about some examples? I guess i just have more faith in the system than you. Its worked pretty well for the past 230 years. :2cents:

As we know, all empires have risen and fallen (230years is an adolecent), and my contention is the United States is no different. I'm not going to speculate on how the mismangement of Rome by Ceasars of the Pax Romana contributed to its downfall, because that would just be stupid speculation of days gone by.

However, what we do have, as the Romans and other noteworthy "superpowers" did, is a purely empiracle history to gain power, but what sets us apart is the development of a VERY sound social structure "capitalism" in order to sustain that power. ---Don't kid yourself, we've slaughtered people en mass to get to where we are.

The roots of our government were pure, separating big business from government, was fundemental --it was seen as an inherent a conflict of interest if you will. But as the system evolved, the country developed into the strongest country on the face of the earth and our government is now at the whim of big business because of international resources.

---Don't kid yourself, war is huge business.

America is the richest country in the world, but has $7+trillion in debt; debt that really no one is going to keep us accountable for.

Before this gets too convoluted let's see our current state:

--We are pretty much hated by 70% of the world. (There is no 2nd place in this game, there's just 'people that are not number 1, who are exploited by number 1 /semi-sarcasm)

--We are country built off debt.

--We currently have 12million person social issue, that's been on the back burner for 20 years (illegal immigration) which is a lubricant for our economy that very well could strike.

--We have a upcoming superpower, China that probably has no debt AND buys up, thus owns, portions of our debt. Which insinuates zero chance in a global economic standoff with China, as they will buy US companies because (tragically) most are business men before country men.

--Our main energy source is projected to sky rocket, thus perpetuating more debt and a super inflation.

--And our country, in its inability control the borders, could potentially face a multitude of debilitating terrorist attacks.

We could be looking at series of unrelated events, caused by the indiscretions of few that could bring down the prosperity of our country.

--I know it's a derivation from the war crimes topic, but if no one is checking the US on that, who's checking them on other issues that are vital to the survival of our empire that are happening within our own borders.

Done for the night.

Archived