Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anthony Montgomery is getting a raw deal

RabidFan

The Eagles lead the NFL in players signed to a second contract. Wow, your whole point blew up in your face.

Sorry.

BTW, you'd rather pay Corey Simon 6 million a year? The same bloated and fat Corey Simon who had all of ZERO SACKS last year?

Glad your not the Eagles GM.

And awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy we go!

The Eagles lead the NFL in players signed to a second contract. Wow, your whole point blew up in your face.

Sorry.

BTW, you'd rather pay Corey Simon 6 million a year? The same bloated and fat Corey Simon who had all of ZERO SACKS last year?

The Eagles may have the highest rate of players signed to 2nd contracts, but that doesn't really refute Art's argument. Often, players are signed to their second contract after their first season, and most of them have been re-signed at least once by the beginning of their 4th season. As I'm sure we are both aware, most players are not proven after their 1st season, and many are not proven even after their 3rd. Consequently, they could very easily sign more players to 2nd contracts than anyone else, and STILL get rid of a high percentage of their established veterans. I counted nine (Terrell Owens, Corey Simon, Derrick Burgess, Hollis Thomas, Artis Hicks, Keith Adams, ND Kalu, Jermane Mayberry, Freddie Mitchell) players who were let go by the Eagles in the past two offseasons who started in over half their games the season before leaving. And this is not even considering the 2003 purge that claimed players like Vincent, Taylor, Staley, and Thrash.

By the same token, the Redskins (a team constantly criticized for lacking continuity and being in a state of flux) have lost only six (Arrington, Smoot, Pierce, Clark, Gardner, and Coles) such players in the last two seasons.

I'm not saying these are bad moves; certainly, I agree with most of them. I'm no Corey Simon fan, and TO had to go, etc. But there can be no doubting that the Eagles do get rid of proven pros, leaving them with holes to fill.

Anthony Montgomery is getting a raw deal.

Posted on Apr 27, 2006 by Mike Aitkens

Peter Shumate takes a look at a more unheralded defensive tackle who deserves some respect.

Isn't the posting of full articles a no-no?

Great article though, go sounds like a steal.

i am one that before the draft, was saying, we needed to get a defensive tackle that could plug the middle, and spell griffin and salave'a. i think they did this with montgomery and golston. i watched golston a lot in the sec, and he was a very active, strong interior lineman. hopefully, both these young men will give the skins the depth needed in a greg williams aggressive style of defense.

Wow. I haven't been on the site since the end of our playoff season, and now you can't even post a full article. Last I heard, Bubba was looking for a replacement, and full articles were still allowed. What has changed?

Copyright stuff.

Sorry.

Westy I've told you this before but I'll say it again, he's a DT. not a DE. sacks mean next to nothing for him. He was playing with a sack monster in Freeney. His job wasn't to get the QB it was to stop the run.

2004 stats

Indianapolis 16 440 27.5 2037 4.6 127.3 12 103 11

vs

2005 stats

Indianapolis 16 398 24.9 1762 4.4 110.1 9 91 11

They went from 24th in the league to a respectable 16th. They allowed almost 300 less yards, .2 ypc less, 3 tds less, and 12 less first downs.

In 3 less starts this year he had more tackles than Tripplett. And from the Colts site

"2005: Six-year veteran who signed with Colts as UFA 9/3…started first 13 games at LDT…was one of top defenders against run…was inactive for final three games…had 41 tackles, 31 solo, 12 QB pressures, one batted pass and one FF…had stops in every outing…had four solo stops and one FF vs. Jacksonville 9/18…had four stops and one batted pass vs. Cleveland 9/25…had five tackles in consecutive games at Tennessee 10/2 and at San Francisco 10/9…had four solo stops at Cincinnati 11/20 and three tackles vs. St. Louis 10/17, at Houston 10/23, vs. Tennessee 12/4 and at Jacksonville 12/11. "

Montgomery can quite possibly prove to be the best DT taken in two or three years with Blache's coaching. You just can't discount a solid coaching effort. I think that's why many of our players were busts in the 90's and early 2000's simply because although they were talented they didn't have anyone to point them in the right direction and to help them along in taking that next step. That problem simply doesn't exist with this coaching staff.
:applause: :cheers: My thoughts also,with solid coaching this guy may turn out to be a stud for us.

Copyright stuff.

Actually I was responding to your post. When was this made a no-no?

Recently? Last couple months. Can't remember the exact date. I'd direct you to the Rules section:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/announcement.php?f=24

More specifically "10. When posting anything concerning news articles from outside sources, please include a direct link (i.e., URL) to the origination page/site. Please paste the URL directly atop the post, above a small portion of the article's text (for example, the lead paragraph or a particular sentence or two) . Such a practice provides credibility and attribution to the source of the information, and allows visitors the option to visit the respective websites. You are responsible for the content you post.

If you are posting a published article from a news source, please title your thread in the following format: "SOURCE SHORTFORM: HEADLINE" (Ex. WP: Redskins Sign CB Shawn Springs). Please see our copyright statement:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131906"

Wow, I have definetly bookmarked that website. I really appreciate an in-depth player analysis. Recently I have been using nfldraftcountdown.com for superficial scouting reports, but that was an outstanding article. I am not saying that because it was pro redskins, but because it was so well reasoned and articulated.

I am also very happy to find that we have a serious sleeper from the later rounds.

The only problem with that article is something an old poly sci professor once told me "it makes so much sense that few will ever understand it."

Even if he did take plays off, I don't care. We will be rotating him in and out with at least four other DTs. He won't have an excuse to take any plays off!

I doubt the Golden Gophers had much depth at DT behind him.

Edit: After reading the other thread, about what our 2 deep will look like, it sounds weird to have so having Golston on the team and Montgomery on practice squad.

Recently? Last couple months. Can't remember the exact date. I'd direct you to the Rules section:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/announcement.php?f=24

More specifically "10. When posting anything concerning news articles from outside sources, please include a direct link (i.e., URL) to the origination page/site. Please paste the URL directly atop the post, above a small portion of the article's text (for example, the lead paragraph or a particular sentence or two) . Such a practice provides credibility and attribution to the source of the information, and allows visitors the option to visit the respective websites. You are responsible for the content you post.

If you are posting a published article from a news source, please title your thread in the following format: "SOURCE SHORTFORM: HEADLINE" (Ex. WP: Redskins Sign CB Shawn Springs). Please see our copyright statement:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131906"

Call me an idiot, which won't be the first time, but what is the violation. The original poster supplied a link, and Art supplied the entire article. I've seen this done countless times before. Where does the vioation occur?

After reading this article, it clear that Montgomery should've been a first round prospect. I am excited to say that we may have found a DT to play alongside of Cornelius Griffin and Joe Salavae. Can you imagine the pounding that running backs would be taken against the middle. :point2sky

Dont forget about Killing. I like his game

Call me an idiot, which won't be the first time, but what is the violation. The original poster supplied a link, and Art supplied the entire article. I've seen this done countless times before. Where does the vioation occur?

There is no violation. The rule specifically states and goes on to explain the onus as to what is posted is on the poster, not the staff of ES or the Redskins. Only if contacted by the organization holding a valid copyright will we edit down such material. Therefore all items from the Post and the USA Today are automatically edited down for having contacted us to request it. We will rapidly respond to any outside contact. Otherwise, we can not possibly be expected to know which material is copy protected and which is not. This site does not have a valid copyright disclaimer at the end. As such, I do not believe it is protected, but, they can contact us and we will adjust accordingly should they do so.

Art.

Archived