Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Montgomery: Redskins 'Just Felt Right'

spanishomelette

Montgomery: Redskins 'Just Felt Right'

By Casey Husband and Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

April 30, 2006

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=16885

Defensive tackle Anthony Montgomery was drafted by the Redskins in the fifth round of the 2006 NFL Draft. He spoke with Redskins.com shortly after the team selected him with the 153rd overall pick in the draft:

Q: You came to Washington for a visit. How did you think it went for you?

A: "The visit was about two weeks ago and from the time I set foot in the door it felt like home and felt like a place that I was supposed to be. Everyone was friendly. There were a lot of guys working out. I talked to a couple of players like Antwaan Randle El and he talked to me like I had been on the team forever. I met with Coach [Joe] Gibbs and we had a nice conversation and it just felt right."

redskins_8860001inside.jpg

Anthony Montgomery pressures an Ohio State QB. (AP Photo)

Q: Did you think the Redskins would draft you?

A: "They told me they had a fifth-round pick and three sixth-round picks. They told me, 'Don't be too surprised if you get a call.' So I was sitting around waiting and hoping."

Q: How many teams did you visit?

A: "I visited two teams: Washington and Green Bay. I didn't have a preference. I just want to play football."

Q: You grew up in Cleveland. Were you a Browns fan growing up?A: "Yeah, I was a Browns fan. I used to like Eric Metcalf, the running back."

Q: What do you feel like your strengths are as a ball-player at this stage of your career?

A: "I have good size, athleticism, am pretty quick, and I use my hands well. I try to be powerful. Those are some of the strengths of my game. I still have a lot of room to improve."

Q: What kind of expectations do you have for your rookie year?

A: "I'll just try to fit in, learn my role, learn the system and get around some of the veterans and learn as much as I can. Hopefully I can contribute to the team and play a couple of plays here and there. Whatever the team needs me to do, I'm ready."

Q: What have you heard about playing in the Redskins' defense?

A: "Well, honestly I didn't know much about it. But when I went for the visit, I realized that they pretty much played the same system that we played at Minnesota. Other than that, I really didn't know too much about the Redskins' defense. I'm sure I'll learn it."

Q: Did anyone at the Redskins talk to you about playing offensive line?

A: "No, it was all defense when I was there. It was all about defense. I never played offensive line before, and a lot of [scouts] have looked at me and said they could see me playing tackle. I was open to the idea. But at heart, I'm a defensive tackle and that's where I want to play."

Q: Why did your weight drop last season?

A: "I came in and I was real out of shape. It was bad weight. I wanted to get faster and then put the weight back on the right way. I didn't put as much back on. I was about 330 pounds and now I am between 310-315 pounds. It is more muscle and I can carry better and run well with it."

Q: What are your overall thoughts on going in the fifth round, and not on the first day?

A: "My dream as a kid was to get drafted. It was never to get drafted in the first round, although that would have been nice. I got drafted and there are a lot of guys that played football as kids and didn't get this opportunity. It didn't really matter where I got drafted. I'm just glad that it was with a team that I wanted to be with."

Good interview. Sounds like a pretty well spoken guy. I was down on this pick when we made it, but Im warming up to it. Seems like this guy has some pretty good potential. Maybe he will be the eventual replacement for big Joe.

I like this guy.. Cant wait to see him in preseason ... Anyone else think that we should only start our starters for like 1 quarter.. especially with the offensive line and linebackers.. I think the depth should get a nice room to move around and practice against teams other then the redskins..so when we need them if a injury happens.. there just not random people thrown out in there.. Theres have experience along with great coaching, instead of having great coaching and not knowing when to use it.

Just curious, when was the last time you read one of these interviews for any team where the player was like "Actually, I really wanted to play for (another team), this team is some s##t. But hey I'm here, we'll see what happens."?

Seems like these things always read out the same.

I'm not saying he's a bad guy in any way, its just funny to me, because I bet Pac Man said some stuff like that last year, lol.

Good interview. Sounds like a pretty well spoken guy. I was down on this pick when we made it, but Im warming up to it. Seems like this guy has some pretty good potential. Maybe he will be the eventual replacement for big Joe.

Put me down also for warming up to it.

Good kid.

Archived