Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CEO Pay

endzone_dave

Most people who ascend the ranks of corporate America do so by being more Machiavellian than the guy next to them, or by privelege handed down by their parents. Anyone who thinks otherwise is incredibly naive

What do you mean by that? Top-notch educational opportunities? Don't we want those types of people running our companies more often than not?

I doubt it's quite as blunt, but I bet you that they get and their nephews get and many relatives get a very kindly entry into the business that isn't always deserved on the basis of their resumes. I've been in businesses before where the son has pretty darn high standing... and started with pretty high darn standing. Sometimes, that's good and fair and other times not.

What do you mean by that? Top-notch educational opportunities? Don't we want those types of people running our companies more often than not?

Top notched educational opportunities, social opportunities, economic opportunities that un-level the playing field. Not un-level a few degrees, it's more akin to someone taking a hike around the neighborhood -vs- someone taking a hike up the side of K2.

Top notched educational opportunities, social opportunities, economic opportunities that un-level the playing field. Not un-level a few degrees, it's more akin to someone taking a hike around the neighborhood -vs- someone taking a hike up the side of K2.

That's fair I guess...I would still bet that very many people to ascend to those executive levels earned their way there. Then again, I can't really cite any statistics to prove that. So maybe you're right...I could just be naive.

Who should be CEOs if not the family of the founders of companies or those who who the most "machievellian"?

And what should be used to determine appropriate compensation? And who gets to set those rules?

That's part of the murk. It's tough to say that a Disney shouldn't be part of the Walt Disney Company Board or Management (Not sure if one is at this point.) Still, the old boy's club has shoved a bunch of worthier candidates down at times to keep their circle entact.

That's part of the murk. It's tough to say that a Disney shouldn't be part of the Walt Disney Company Board or Management (Not sure if one is at this point.) Still, the old boy's club has shoved a bunch of worthier candidates down at times to keep their circle entact.

Who specifically?

And should a company be required to always hire the most worthy? And if so, who gets to determine who that is if not the board?

What percentage of those in the top 10% or top 2% tax bracket were there 10 years ago? I'm curious if there's a decent turn over at the top or if these advantages create a stagnant elite class.

Archived