Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obstructed View Seats

sleazye

Maybe I'm just naive, but I still can't understand how a businessman, in good faith, can build seats and charge outrageous prices for them when he knows the buyer won't be able to see much. That's just ridiculous! But, what goes around comes around.

we all know that there are some cheap obstructed view seats in fedex, but some of them are hardly obstructed at all, does anyone know which numbers are good and which to stay away from in that area?

I think I can answer your question fairly accurately.

The pillars are roughly three feet wide. They are all placed in the same rows, that is, rows 13 and 14. I can't comment on the corners or the endzone seats, but I can tell you that on the sidelines (sections 217 through 226), the pillars are all exactly placed in the centers of each section. Rows 15 and 16 do not have seats installed directly behind the pillars, but Row 17 does. However, you can still sit in row 16 and have most of the 50 yard line blocked if you're seated close enough to the pillars.

There are about 25 or 26 seats in each row in that area. Therefore, if you are in Section 221 or 222 (50 yard line sections) in Row 17, you don't want to be sitting in seats 13 & 14 because you'd be staring directly at cement, and the field would be on either side. I wouldn't want seats 12 or 15 either.

Another example is section 226 (a 10 yard line section), Row 16, seats 17 & 18. Seat 17 which is closest to the pillar has part of the 50 blocked, and also almost the entire right side of the field blocked. I'd say about 40-45% of the field is block. In seat 18, the view is much better, the block starts at about the 40 and extends diagonally to the endzone, but you can't see the goalposts.

A third example is this same section 226, Row 16, seats 9 & 10. In this case, the pillar is on your left, and the field is to your right, so the pillar doesn't have nearly the same effect, even though you're the same distance from the pillars as in seats 17 & 18.

The further back you go, the more seats that are affected by pillars.

The other problem with this area is the low overhang, which blocks your view of punts, kicks, the scoreboard, etc. In Row 24, the overhang is so low, it just clears the tops of the cheerleader's heads on the opposite side of the field. It's sort of like watching the game from deep within a cave.

The Redskins use the term "Obstructed View" to describe horrible seats in this area. They use the term "Limited View" to describe seats that are less horrible, meaning only a small portion of the field is blocked. Other seats in this area with a clear view are considered full priced lower level seats.

As a rule, if you're considering seats in these areas, you want to sit as close to the aisle as possible and as far up front as possible to assure a clear view of the field.

Maybe I'm just naive, but I still can't understand how a businessman, in good faith, can build seats and charge outrageous prices for them when he knows the buyer won't be able to see much. That's just ridiculous! But, what goes around comes around.

He does it because people are willing to pay. Supply and demand. I have been fortunate enough to have steered clear of obstructed seats.

My seats are in Section 220 - right near the eisle towards the 50, not the 30 part of the section. I am approximately near the 40 yard line and I can see everything except for the top arch of the ball during kick offs and long bombs. There are TV monitors hanging down which show out of town scores (has been horrible in the past, but started to get better last season), down and distance information, and live action with replays. This makes up for the fact that the overhang blocks the jumbotron.

The only other complaint I have is that the depth between rows is not very significant so when the beer vendors or inconsiderate fans come up for their seats during the game, they can block your view. I usually hollar at them to get down with the rest of the fans and some are better about scooching. Otherwise you just stand to see when that happens and all is well.

Overall for the price I like my seats, but I also am not dealing with concrete pillars at all.

Two problems with obstucted seating is:

The angle that the seats are on is less than the regular seating in the stadium and the overhang is low so if anything at all happens everyone stands up and the entire section of "New Seats" are blocked.

The other problem is you are surrounded by people who rarely go to games and dont understand game etiquette so they are constantly walking up the rows looking for thier seats during the plays and blocking peoples views right in the middle of game action. In the good seats on the 50 lower deck, Fed Ex staff will actually stop traffic during plays, what an amazing concept.

The only other problem is the pillars but they only affect some seats. I am in row 17 of sec 213 and I have a clear view of the field...if none of the above is not happening.

I've got a suggestion. Go to ESPN Zone in DC, and watch the game there. It's a lot cheaper, you see everything, and can relax, drink your favorite beverage, and eat some damn good food, and down in the basement, you have some entertainment during halftime. Look if your going to spend money to see the game in person, then save enough for the good seats.

thanks bbuzz i appreciate your great help, i would say that going to the game is worth it if i can get an obstructed view seat that is less obstructed. if i want to watch the game on tv ill stay home drinking beers that are about 50 cents each instead of going to espnzone and shelling out 4 bucks a pop. in fact i went to a couple games last year that i didnt even buy tickets to, just hung out in the parking lot listening to radio or small tv. anyways some of us aren't in our forties with stable high paying jobs so ill continue to buy the obstructed view and thanks to everyone who gave me real solid detailed info. see you in the cheap seats

i would much rather have my big screen, couch and a beer

Nothing beats actually being there with 90,000 screaming Redskins fans we sit in sec 416 and have a perfect view of the whole field it just is a little vetigo on the way up tho lol

my wife hates it!!!!!!!!!

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck

God bless the people in those seats though. They are loud as hell, it's like the sound is coming out of a speaker box. You gotta be a Redskin's faithful to sit in that section and scream that loud. Maybe theres a sound delay from the 200's 'cause they have to ask the people in front of them what happened before they react to the play :doh:

Archived